PDA

View Full Version : metro turbo?

Scooby_Eater
30-06-10, 12:30 AM
what do you guys reckon to the old skool metro turbos?
anyone know where theres any for sale just to see what sort of cash i should be spending?
seen a very clean example for sale never had any welding and doesnt need any its solid :)
all completely original and very clean
discuss :thumb:

Brettski
30-06-10, 12:37 AM
epic car get it bought verry rare in any condition tbh

last time i saw 1 was 2 years agoand it was buggerd lol

nova_saloon
30-06-10, 12:42 AM
you will get one. just not that kind of one you after unless you are extremely lucky. there just probs rottern. why dont you convert one maybe?

Scooby_Eater
30-06-10, 12:50 AM
i found the one i want just by chance
was doing a little work and spotted it hidden in a garage
its absolutely mint condition underneath just wants a bit of paintwork
the main thing id want to know is what sort of money i should be spending
tried looking around for recent ones for sale but theres been none on fleebay ect. .
anyone??

muzzy
30-06-10, 12:53 AM
You could check out the owners club which I assume will exist, have a look through the classifieds. They are very rare now so you probably won't have much luck looking in the usual places.

Scooby_Eater
30-06-10, 01:03 AM
You could check out the owners club which I assume will exist, have a look through the classifieds. They are very rare now so you probably won't have much luck looking in the usual places.

ive had a quick look through metro owners club and cant find any in classifieds on there
il have a quick lookie for some more on google cheers

octagonalpaul
30-06-10, 08:27 AM
they're very quick and better handling than a nova, go for it

davidfox280585
30-06-10, 08:39 AM
watched a few on ebay they usually fetch 1k up as i always am a sucker for watching the tickford maestros mg ones

djshaggeh
30-06-10, 09:14 AM
Awesome little cars, when they run right. My best mate had one he spent a few hundred quid on welding to get it through the mot and it only lasted a week before smoke pissed out of the dash. In that week he suprized a few cars though lol

Alex J
30-06-10, 09:30 AM
as far as im aware there are only 28 left, so snap it up! i love metro turbos, and im brave to say i think they are better than minis! rust came standard from the factorylol

Stuart
30-06-10, 09:58 AM
Walking is better than a mini lol

blue_peg_16v
30-06-10, 10:30 AM
id love a mg maestro turbo but silly money for a car that rots almost as quick as a lancia beta

metros are quick fun cars but fetch a premium for a decent one

GRUNT 16V
30-06-10, 10:38 AM
Had a couple of these round a friends place epic fun !!! then we converted a mini to take the engine !!!!!!!! hell what a blast went very well !! the only prob was it had a 4 speed box !

Sloth
30-06-10, 10:54 AM
seen a fair few sell for 3k+ in a1 cond. and tbh theyre poo.

Rysee
30-06-10, 10:56 AM
Rather the lump in a Mini GT mmmm

Stuart
30-06-10, 11:17 AM
Metro + Keseries = better option

Scooby_Eater
30-06-10, 11:23 AM
watched a few on ebay they usually fetch 1k up as i always am a sucker for watching the tickford maestros mg ones
is around 1k for a rough one or clean T+T'd motor?

Sloth
1k fior one with serious rot and barely holding a mot.

Scooby_Eater
as far as im aware there are only 28 left, so snap it up! i love metro turbos, and im brave to say i think they are better than minis! rust came standard from the factorylol

just like a nova then? lol

Scooby_Eater
30-06-10, 11:27 AM
1k fior one with serious rot and barely holding a mot.
nice one that just about answers it
the one ive seen is very near that price :thumb:

mowgli
30-06-10, 12:07 PM
metros rust way faster than novas, with a metro, the rust was factory fitted......

metro turbo engines are surprisingly good, the low tech approach made for great performance & then they used toffee transfer gears, so the boxes knackered up...

Sloth
30-06-10, 12:18 PM
the only reason they are expensive is due to the rarity. if it was me, id buy a late rover 100, fit the early style panels (yes they fit) and whiang a 1800 k series turbo motor in form a 75. fit all the mg metro interior et voila, retro cool, modern performance and better rust proofing.

ben doodar
30-06-10, 12:30 PM
cool cars imo. ive got a metro turbo engine in my mini. but will be taking the engine out soon. going to sell the mini with a 998cc and sell the turbo lump separetly transfer gears are ****e in them, cross pin diff is a must if your aiming for decent power.

get ur self on turbominis.co.uk some very clever guys on there who are very helpfull. do a youtube search for mini williams. 309bhp A series turbo!!!!!

Scooby_Eater
30-06-10, 01:22 PM
the only reason they are expensive is due to the rarity. if it was me, id buy a late rover 100, fit the early style panels (yes they fit) and whiang a 1800 k series turbo motor in form a 75. fit all the mg metro interior et voila, retro cool, modern performance and better rust proofing.

im only tempted as its 100% original,very clean,no rot,low miles ect. .
its been garaged for years and well looked after
would be a good investment i reckon too as theyre only going to go up in price :thumb:

Scooby_Eater
30-06-10, 01:25 PM
cool cars imo. ive got a metro turbo engine in my mini. but will be taking the engine out soon. going to sell the mini with a 998cc and sell the turbo lump separetly transfer gears are ****e in them, cross pin diff is a must if your aiming for decent power.

get ur self on turbominis.co.uk some very clever guys on there who are very helpfull. do a youtube search for mini williams. 309bhp A series turbo!!!!!

thats exactly why there so rare now lol
ive been looking on ebay for last few weeks to try and find a full car for sale but theres always just engines doing 500 quid or so for mini conversions

im not after it for its power,just really something to play about in on a weekend when im bored :thumb:
il have a look now cheers

L14MNP
30-06-10, 03:55 PM
Awesome motors. If you can get a clean one for around a grand then snap it up!
Personally I'd much rather have an (early) Metro turbo than a Mini. Everyones got one! Plus the 80's boxy styling really looks the part these days. :)

Pics or you're full of sh!t etc. ;) lol

Scooby_Eater
30-06-10, 04:28 PM
Awesome motors. If you can get a clean one for around a grand then snap it up!
Personally I'd much rather have an (early) Metro turbo than a Mini. Everyones got one! Plus the 80's boxy styling really looks the part these days. :)

Pics or you're full of sh!t etc. ;) lol

its a great clean car and it was just by chance i spotted it,was looking for a little toy like nova,R5 turbo ect. . just to play around with and never thought of a metro
thats the exact reason i like it 90% of the living metro turbo engines are sat inside an old mini and the metro is not something you see evryday :)
il get some pics when hes dug it out for me as its packed in the garage atm lol

Sloth
30-06-10, 04:35 PM
id be changing the oil and filters and all fluids before starting it, and id take the turbo feed off and pump oil into the turbo mate. then spin her over without the king lead. oh and dont forget to check the carb slide works and the dashpot on top of it is full of 3in1 oil, to the right level.

mowgli
30-06-10, 04:39 PM
i've a vizard tuning book somewhere...... but i'll only lend it out

L14MNP
30-06-10, 04:41 PM
its a great clean car and it was just by chance i spotted it,was looking for a little toy like nova,R5 turbo ect. . just to play around with and never thought of a metro
thats the exact reason i like it 90% of the living metro turbo engines are sat inside an old mini and the metro is not something you see evryday :)
il get some pics when hes dug it out for me as its packed in the garage atm lol

Sounds cool man. There's a lass around here driving a white MG Metro. I always flash at her (oo er) and she does back. Old skool love FTW. lol. Looks awesome seeing it on the road!

Scooby_Eater
30-06-10, 04:54 PM
id be changing the oil and filters and all fluids before starting it, and id take the turbo feed off and pump oil into the turbo mate. then spin her over without the king lead. oh and dont forget to check the carb slide works and the dashpot on top of it is full of 3in1 oil, to the right level.
its still been looked after while its been away,fired up and run/serviced ect. . so i know all is well :)

Scooby_Eater
30-06-10, 04:54 PM
i've a vizard tuning book somewhere...... but i'll only lend it out

same as this one?
http://www.pickabook.co.uk/bookdetails.aspx?isbn=9781859606209

any good?

Scooby_Eater
30-06-10, 04:55 PM
Sounds cool man. There's a lass around here driving a white MG Metro. I always flash at her (oo er) and she does back. Old skool love FTW. lol. Looks awesome seeing it on the road!

pics of the said white metro? and the lass who owns it? ;)

Scooby_Eater
30-06-10, 05:13 PM
just by chance theres one listed on flebay
been looking to get an idea on price for a while now
needs restoring and plenty of work at £2k
item 280528161025

Stuart
30-06-10, 05:19 PM
tyres will be fecked if its been stood for any length of time

Derick-Sport
30-06-10, 06:04 PM
i remember one been in modified retro a few years back was awesome spec

L14MNP
30-06-10, 06:16 PM
pics of the said white metro? and the lass who owns it? ;)

Will try dude. I don't see it that often. I will follow her in my not very distinctive car next time. lol

craig green
30-06-10, 06:25 PM

Better rust proofing!! lol lol lol Have you net seen the arches on most 100's? lol I know someone who's 100 fauled its first ever MOT at 4 yrs old due to rust.

Personally I quite like the turbo's, I was driven home everyday from primary school in one. However I don think they are worth feck all tbh, but yet again retro-mania has struck & even dogs command over the odds values.

Mike
30-06-10, 06:28 PM
Friend of mine crashed a Metro Turbo on christmas day 2002. Went to the only place open for some fags (Hilton park services M54) an stacked it royally down the back lanes lol

L14MNP
30-06-10, 06:32 PM
Did you bust it for bits on the bay chap?

Mike
30-06-10, 06:33 PM
Did you bust it for bits on the bay chap?

There wasnt enought of it left to sell lol

L14MNP
30-06-10, 06:34 PM
:d

Proper job!

Scooby_Eater
30-06-10, 06:50 PM
Will try dude. I don't see it that often. I will follow her in my not very distinctive car next time. lol
get chasin in the lolvo mate shel never spot you lol

ben doodar
30-06-10, 06:51 PM
The one in retrocar was cool as **** sure it had banded steelies. Also the mg metros n turbos came with 4pot iirc.

Plug
30-06-10, 07:03 PM
i payed £400 for my metro turbo 9 months tax and test :)

ripped its heart out and put it in my mini :)

Was 5 Years ago mind lol

saloonwoody
01-07-10, 06:01 PM
awesome little motor , i had one years ago , get it bought however much it costs lol

L14MNP
01-07-10, 06:19 PM
Aye they have AP 4 pots. My mate has some on his Mini.

I know of a beige one from RR that was on Superlites then banded steels IIRC, is that the one?

Also there's a lad called Pie1985 or similar who has a lovely grey turbo on Superlites, stripped out. :)

Sloth
01-07-10, 06:23 PM
pies used to be owned by the guy who set up retro car club, chris shillito who had an xe mk1 cav iirc.

L14MNP
01-07-10, 06:27 PM
O I C. Lovely motor. :)