PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried retrimming doorcards?

Will F
29-06-10, 03:42 PM
I have some brown rear cards that have staretd to bubble and come away from the backing - so I want to see if I can re-stick them... anyone done it?

It looks as if it will peel apart quite easily - but I dont want to peel it off, if I cant stick it back down! lol

Anyone tried something similar?

L14MNP
29-06-10, 03:47 PM
I will check my bookmarks mate. I have a guide saved showing how to re-do mk1 XR2 rears. Same deal.

GDN16v
29-06-10, 04:12 PM
Done some a while ago for a friend, i drilled a 6mm hole from the rear on the bubbling part of the panel then we sprayed the glue through a short nozzle and pressed it down. Stuck quite well as is still the same hasnt lifted anymore!:thumb:

Saved pulling the whole cover off!

Will F
29-06-10, 04:27 PM
Done some a while ago for a friend, i drilled a 6mm hole from the rear on the bubbling part of the panel then we sprayed the glue through a short nozzle and pressed it down. Stuck quite well as is still the same hasnt lifted anymore!:thumb:

Saved pulling the whole cover off!

Oooh - that sounds like an idea - any ideas on glue?

mowgli
29-06-10, 04:29 PM
aerosol carpet glue???

from memory, doesn't the vinyl on the old ones shrink badly ?

Sloth
29-06-10, 04:30 PM
ive done this, i warmed the peice up in the sairing cupboard to soften the factory glue, i then peeled the offending bit, and used spray on contact adhesive, places that sell fabric and stuff sell it. sticks fine.

GDN16v
29-06-10, 04:33 PM
aerosol carpet glue???

Either that ^ or get some Loctite i think it was from Halfrauds, virtually the same thing!

Edd
29-06-10, 04:43 PM
Rear quarter cards that have a cardboard type back allways bubble up, from about '86 on the backs are made of plastic,

I wouldn't peel it all off, like above IMO drilling a small hole and using glue would be a better option.

With brown rear quarter cards your lucky as fook to find a pair that have plastic backs lol

Will F
29-06-10, 05:28 PM
Cheers all - I will give it a go with some carpet glue!

Will F
30-06-10, 08:16 AM
aerosol carpet glue???

from memory, doesn't the vinyl on the old ones shrink badly ?

Spot on - I went to have a crack last night and didnt even bother trying... the vinyl has shrunk right back!

I may get a pro to have a look....

djbrowney
30-06-10, 08:30 AM
Please dont use carpet glue, it is absolute **** on car parts. Sticks perfect for the first week. But after the sun has been on it, it will all come unstuck as i found out my self !!! Use contact adesive it wont ever move then :)