PDA

View Full Version : My day at Combe (footage added p2 and p5)

Dan
28-06-10, 11:47 PM
Well, after a week of pure hell trying to get the car ready by last night she was sat on a trailor ready for a raping. As per normal trackday prep stuart checked in yesterday evening also

So, get to combe and everything appeared fine, the map that Dave at Mech Repairs put on my car is awesome lol car started sweet as a nut which was very nice to hear after the pain we had suffered trying to get it running. After some dallying with the brakes Stu got it sound tested and we were set.

Now after last years first (and only) outing the car was set a tad to hard so this year i took the settings a touch the other way and reset the front geometry to suit. on the sighting laps it was definitely alot better but abit to soft. Being lazy i left this alone as i know exactly where it needs to be now but i wanted to see the full effects of it being on the soft side.

So first session out, stuart jumps in the passenger seat and just as we roll down the pit exit and start to wind it up i spot his grin as the gearbox howls and the tb's start to growl for the first real laps. What can i say, it was sooooo much fun, the car was absolutley spot on for pure grip and speed. Its handling was as balanced as my old 1.6 8v if not even more refined as for the tight chicane we come into it at a perfect back end drift line and i thought sod it and just nailed it in third rather than braking and the car just chewed it up and spat it out. I kinda knew i did the right thing by the glee being displayed by the passenger side which then continued for quite a few laps as i had found the sweet spot of the handling and could finally relax and give the car death.

Upon entering the pits it was great to see mr Shipton (chris gsi) had trundled along to watch after reading about the day on here. and we got the first spectator analysis of the day which basically followed along the lines of "What the the f*@ have you gone and built now ffs" which was probably the biggest compliment i could of asked for :d

Session two was not quite as long, i was struggling abit for getting the tyres right as it was just so damn hot and the rubber was proper sticky icky on the tyres, but thought sod it. So this time my brother comes out for a few laps, Now to be fair he has never been on track or been in anything like what i have built, so i took the first few laps steady (ish) just to keep the tyres on the bubble but he wasnt to keen on the whole passenger side part, so i gave him one flying lap to which ended his passenger participation for the day. He was in awe of the car but having not been in that position before his nerves didnt cope to well lol lol lol

Session three, just me this time, and i had an epic time out there, again i pushed the car abit harder as it was only me in there and nothing to worry about. Again i just cant describe the on the pin point positioning of the car, the back end or front does exactly as its told, just like when we go karting, want abit of the back end out then the car just does it, for as long as i want and at what ever angle i want, if on the other hand i just want pure grip and no messing it also delivers that by the spoonful. This session mostly consisted of catching cars and passing them then catching some more, but it was mostly me finally getting a feel for the car and its limits.

Session four, well well well, this was deemed as the last of the day anyway as i had a seal in the gearbox on the way out, stuart joins me and we race off out again, and pull out directly behind a chap in his full spec mini cooper s race car out testing on full slicks, aero packages etc etc blah blah blah, we had spotted his pit crew setting the car up at various stages of the day so i knew he would leave us standing, especially considering me and stu are not the 'lightest' of people to start with lol lol but i must say we did hang on ok considering which was pleasing, Then we just played the catch and pass game with anything else, UNTIL, the outer cv on the passenger side finally waved a white flag going over what they call avon rise. Now i am actually very happy about this, as i was catching a gti6 or something and almost came in the lap before, which could of meant it may have waited until my next trackday and gone at the very beginning. So to say i was glad i stayed out to pass just one more car is an understatement :thumb:

SOOO final verdict, well from me, the cars second outing was very pleasing, power to chassis is alot better now, and the handling when adjusted a touch more is just fantastic. Its definitely a serious peice of kit we have built which does fly. I think the 5th gear lets it down, but when chris t had it on the road i could see the benefits, on the track its a nono so that may change in time. I think once i have the car niggles sorted and running again the next testing day for it should finally have the car setup spot on, at that point we may get some times in and see how it compares to previous builds, there was no point at this stage as i just didnt start with the complete confidence and knowledge of the car, although that is pretty much sorted now i reckon.

A massive thanks to those involved in the last few weeks of turmoil and at the circuit today.........Pics and footage will follow in the next days or so

stevie-p
28-06-10, 11:50 PM
:( dident realise you went would have loved to come and support

Plug
28-06-10, 11:52 PM
Sounds like a good day and you defo had the weather on your side :thumb:

discoinferno
28-06-10, 11:55 PM
Great report, glad you had fun and good to hear daves handy work with the laptop had you smiling he really does know his onions

Hobbit
28-06-10, 11:59 PM
Sounds like you had great fun. Will hopefully be out there with you soon :)

burgo
29-06-10, 12:12 AM
i soooo cant wait for the vids of this beast

CP
29-06-10, 07:34 AM
Excellent!:thumb:
Top report - sounds like you were flying. The Dan magic has worked again!

Get those vids posted:d

Will F
29-06-10, 08:24 AM
Nice one Dan - shame I didnt make it - but at least she performed!:thumb:

Stuart
29-06-10, 08:35 AM
I was giggling for all of the first session :) Thats a real mark of a good car if it makes you feel like a kid.

I've not got much in the way of footage, but I'll get what there is posted, if only for the mental noises the car makes..

sport
29-06-10, 09:44 AM
Sounds like youve had fun, and well done on building the car.

MattBrown
29-06-10, 10:16 AM
I was giggling for all of the first session :) Thats a real mark of a good car if it makes you feel like a kid.

I've not got much in the way of footage, but I'll get what there is posted, if only for the mental noises the car makes..

Streight cut box good then stu?

I really really need one in my lifelol

Stuart
29-06-10, 10:53 AM
tbh the box is the crappest of the noises made... 8"wide inters make far more entertaining noises :)

And I've been in and out of cars with straightcuts for years so no longer excites :p

chris gsi
29-06-10, 11:16 PM
Was nice to see you both yesterday really makes me want to do another outing
With my car.

Well done dan you have built a monster I must say when I spotted you when I got to
camp corner I thought this is going to be interesting the speed you were carrying
Into it but it just gripped and looked like it was being sucked to the track and then I
got the lovely whine from the tyres all the way to avon rise happy days.

Lee
29-06-10, 11:22 PM
I'm actually salivating at the prospect of a drive in this thing now. Damn this goddam barn conversion :(

Adam
29-06-10, 11:26 PM
Sounds like you have got a pretty much 100% sorted track car again Dan, good work.

Looking forward to pics and vids!!!!! :)

Dan
01-07-10, 05:57 AM
Right then, the only footage i can recover from my camcoder is done. The best session is corrupt :tard: so i have uploaded the session when i had my first real go in the car and gave it a shakedown. Not the prettiest or the fastest as i was learning the car and also the track again but meh, it starts 2 laps after the tyre warming laps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFsiA9Lm9Xs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFsiA9Lm9Xs)

The after thoughts on the day is that the car is 90% there setup wise. We defo defo need to refit an antiroll bar, the susp was just a snatch to soft, but then again the arb should sort this issue, and there is a whole host of minor things that will all improve it abit. One being getting the brakes to work properly. The general thought in the morning was i didnt have any as such but they did kinda work almost so we rebled them and they didnt get any better lol.

NOVA_LEE
01-07-10, 07:24 AM
thats amazing that mate good effort, like the was you got stuck behind the ford an lotus an then its no fannyin about an your off haha

CP
01-07-10, 07:39 AM
Sounds and looks great- nice one Dan:thumb:

There's one vital part of your car that you left out of your report.

How did the wide rear view mirror work out!!!lol

Dan
01-07-10, 07:40 AM
and the answer to that is i dont know as i didnt use it hardly lol

Stuart
01-07-10, 08:36 AM
I banged my head on it when getting in to go do the sound test lol

stupot89
01-07-10, 08:49 AM
vid looks good dude

mowgli
01-07-10, 08:58 AM
last time i saw a mirror that big it was at wookie hole hall of mirrors & it made people look tall & thin.........

stupot89
01-07-10, 09:09 AM
they make me look short and fat lol

mowgli
01-07-10, 09:24 AM
you should stand the other side then..

Dan
01-07-10, 09:48 AM
the mirror itself is awesome, the range covers everything including the wing mirror views which is supposed to be very handy lol

blue_peg_16v
01-07-10, 09:50 AM
nice video dan sounds awsome

Mazz
01-07-10, 10:08 AM
Nice video Dan, tickles me how you have 'man-handle' round corners!

Is that an Atom?

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2153/fsdfsdff.jpg (http://img341.imageshack.us/i/fsdfsdff.jpg/)

stupot89
01-07-10, 10:18 AM
yep that is a areil atom

mowgli
01-07-10, 10:20 AM
the mirror itself is awesome, the range covers everything including the wing mirror views which is supposed to be very handy lol

was stu checking his hair on the way round?

Stuart
01-07-10, 10:23 AM
Yep, hairdo ahoy lol

Mazz, even at low speed round the paddock it was no heavier than most cars to drive even with silly 225 inters and a plate diff. so when moving must have been easy to drive, plus a car that handles well will just need guiding round the bends as opposed to death grip on the wheel fighting :)

Mazz
01-07-10, 11:03 AM
http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/4815/gez.gif (http://img541.imageshack.us/i/gez.gif/)

craig green
01-07-10, 11:59 AM
Great write up dan. Car sounds like a proper tool to have.

NOVANICK
01-07-10, 12:53 PM
looks great Dan, Can't wait to see this car

If i had known,

NOVANICK
01-07-10, 12:54 PM
looks great Dan, Can't wait to see this car

If i had known,

(pressed return by mistake) .. would have popped along as only work 15 mins from Combe. Hopefully next time!

Bigrus
01-07-10, 01:21 PM
Right then, the only footage i can recover from my camcoder is done. The best session is corrupt :tard: so i have uploaded the session when i had my first real go in the car and gave it a shakedown. Not the prettiest or the fastest as i was learning the car and also the track again but meh, it starts 2 laps after the tyre warming laps

The after thoughts on the day is that the car is 90% there setup wise. We defo defo need to refit an antiroll bar, the susp was just a snatch to soft, but then again the arb should sort this issue, and there is a whole host of minor things that will all improve it abit. One being getting the brakes to work properly. The general thought in the morning was i didnt have any as such but they did kinda work almost so we rebled them and they didnt get any better lol.

Hello people yes it's me........I'm back, all be it under a slightly different name as Admin never reply to requests!! lol

Dan Dan Dan..... You more than anybody on here know me, and know I speak my mind!! There is lots and lots to improve on there matey :eek:

Quite difficult to asses it entirely on trackday footage as you still dont get to give it death on them as they are "Non competitive", something I always struggle with lol

Brakes as you correctly say, but again difficult to assess as your not aloud to overtake on braking.

The video suggests that the relationship between bump and rebound is out of synch, what suspension are you now running? I would probably avoid an anti roll bar altogether and look at suspension geometry/spring rates/ damping settings / bump and rebound.

Has anyone told you it may be over tyred lol??

Sounds as though there is a big rev drop off between 3rd and 4th and 4th to 5th on acceleration, but it may just be you short shifting, what CWP are you on?

Lots to catch up on since Novaload, where is it??? Bring it back lol.

Hope to see you soon, your old mate

Russell x

Dan
01-07-10, 01:37 PM
lol lol yay he lives, and yes your input is always welcome as you well know, 3rd to 4th is just short shifting, the box is a quaife item on a 3.9 but its chris t's old one so the 5th gear is a road gear :tard: that was decided to be changed on our first lap lol lol The engine is just a c20xe on throttle bodies so nothing major power wise, but enough for some fun (same theory as my old 8v lump)

The over tyred bit was always something, but it was something different to do the wheels via offset and 8x15's rather than wide track, she's got plenty of grip anyways and the heat ratio from front to rear is very good !!

The brakes were nigh on non existant until the last minute so there was always that 'feather' stage until the bite reacted :(

Spring poundages are 350 and 250 respectively although i was a little out on the rebound side of things. went to hard for the breif go last year, this year was a tad to soft so the halfway house point will be the perfect position, or as best as i an get with the avo coilovers before reassing poundages. The antiroll bar theory was just to flatten the car out abit as grip and the diff are plentiful and we were still cocking a leg in some zones

Oh i suppose the 70 minutes total driving time in it over 2 years may also have a small part to play in it lol

burgo
01-07-10, 02:19 PM
well your one clearish lap was a 1.20 which according to this

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Castle_Combe

puts you on pace with a porsche 993 cup :o aka quick lmfao. it is almost funny at how much grip you appear to have

discoinferno
01-07-10, 02:35 PM
goes well mate, i need some big ass tyres :) what spring poundages are you running?

burgo
01-07-10, 02:49 PM
goes well mate, i need some big ass tyres :) what spring poundages are you running?

reading FAIL

lol lol yay he lives, and yes your input is always welcome as you well know, 3rd to 4th is just short shifting, the box is a quaife item on a 3.9 but its chris t's old one so the 5th gear is a road gear :tard: that was decided to be changed on our first lap lol lol The engine is just a c20xe on throttle bodies so nothing major power wise, but enough for some fun (same theory as my old 8v lump)

The over tyred bit was always something, but it was something different to do the wheels via offset and 8x15's rather than wide track, she's got plenty of grip anyways and the heat ratio from front to rear is very good !!

The brakes were nigh on non existant until the last minute so there was always that 'feather' stage until the bite reacted :(

Spring poundages are 350 and 250 respectively although i was a little out on the rebound side of things. went to hard for the breif go last year, this year was a tad to soft so the halfway house point will be the perfect position, or as best as i an get with the avo coilovers before reassing poundages. The antiroll bar theory was just to flatten the car out abit as grip and the diff are plentiful and we were still cocking a leg in some zones

Oh i suppose the 70 minutes total driving time in it over 2 years may also have a small part to play in it lol

Dan
01-07-10, 03:16 PM
1.20 sounds possible but I didn't hook up a clean lap and most others I caught something so unsure tbh. With all the minor issues sorted and me driving a lot better its capable of more I hope

discoinferno
01-07-10, 03:18 PM
1 .20 a very very good time , not alot will touch you if you can lap in the teens :D nice one

wwmnw
01-07-10, 06:47 PM
I'm impressed with that, looks alot quicker than I imagined it to be, seems to corner well and sounds awesome :cool:

Adam
01-07-10, 07:11 PM
Good vid. Fook me that thing goes!!!!
Grips like fook!!!
:cool:

Alex J
01-07-10, 07:56 PM
Good vid. Fook me that thing goes!!!!
Grips like fook!!!
:cool:agree, top car!! and drive, i want a bit of straight cut gears, sound rude, do they make alot of difference?

Adam
01-07-10, 08:02 PM
Yeah, as they keep your revs up, so you are straight back in your "power band" as you go up and down the gearbox...

And they give less transmission losses=more power to the wheels.

Not cheap though.

Stuart
01-07-10, 09:12 PM
Should be ready in half an hour or so
In good HD
http://vimeo.com/13016517

same but on youtube
in average HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGB_misz1HU

Riggy
01-07-10, 09:37 PM
looks awsome dan mate :thumb: , goin to have to let you take me out in it at some point ,

and there's a name i havent seen seen trax 04 , big russ lol welcome back

Dan
01-07-10, 09:48 PM
oh stu they are a must for loud volume, firstly the tyre noise from the start until 25 seconds or so and then a must again from 1.25

The vimeo version is by far the best

Stuart
01-07-10, 09:51 PM
Mercer was close with the jumpjet noise.... although I think its more like a spitfire in a dive lol

Dan
01-07-10, 10:09 PM
well yes, but i'm glad it sounds ok, can never tell when sat on the inside lol

srs1
03-07-10, 02:10 PM
looks like you are begining to be a very happy man there dan.

the time and effort/thought behind this creaction is starting to gel.

video looks really good, the set up is spot on. the car handles and drives to your spec, which in the grander things is what a driver wants. no two cars are set up the same, look at button and hamilton.
agree with the anti roll bar, you can see the end kick a fraction coming out of some chicanes, but it pulls through.

i shall have a really good nosey through this on sat. expect to find the car jacked up and my head deep in there lol.

great thread Dan and fantastic show of a car slightly different to the "norm"

Lee
03-07-10, 06:10 PM
video looks really good, the set up is spot on. the car handles and drives to your spec, which in the grander things is what a driver wants. no two cars are set up the same, look at button and hamilton.
agree with the anti roll bar, you can see the end kick a fraction coming out of some chicanes, but it pulls through.

Agreed. in fact if you start arsing about with namby pamby settings to ebb 2 seconds a lap out of it you are officially a gayer.

Of course if you do decide to start competing in it then that changes the game, but as a track toy it needs to be setup for 'FUN' not 'ULTIMATE SPEED'

Stuart
03-07-10, 06:16 PM
Agreed. in fact if you start arsing about with namby pamby settings to ebb 2 seconds a lap out of it you are officially a gayer.

Of course if you do decide to start competing in it then that changes the game, but as a track toy it needs to be setup for 'FUN' not 'ULTIMATE SPEED'

And setup for retards to drive too lol :d

Dan
03-07-10, 06:49 PM
dont worry stu, the brakes are the important fix then i can let you and lee have a go

burgo
03-07-10, 06:57 PM
is it actually a case that the brakes are pap or is it more the case that with the added grip you are able to brake harder and therefore they seem crap?

Dan
03-07-10, 07:34 PM
its a case that dar and lee bled them through with new fluid after putting a new master cylinder on as they were crap before, then i bled them again as not happy, then me and stu bled them again at combe, and still i had very very poor brakes and pedal feel. Thats why on the vids i back off to early each time

Stuart
03-07-10, 07:44 PM
stupid rear discs

srs1
06-07-10, 06:20 PM
you need to fit g-max suspension on standard springs for stu to fully enjoy the driving experience. its the future.

must admit i'm running a double peddle box with assist, does take some getting used to and i do miss the assist. looking into a remove servo assist from mini's and mg's at the moment. might fit it behind glove box.

MattBrown
06-07-10, 06:21 PM
/\/\/\/\

You helmtet, its cut standard springs, not standard length, god...

srs1
06-07-10, 06:24 PM
private joke matt!

stu knows the future

MattBrown
06-07-10, 06:25 PM
private joke matt!

stu knows the future

Hence the sarcasmlol