PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove a bearing thats stuck on the hub?

Krazykyri
28-06-10, 06:49 PM
Tried heating it, hammering, grinding but it won't budge.

djbrowney
28-06-10, 07:07 PM
try harder lol

Lee
28-06-10, 07:21 PM
Triple leg puller. 20 quid from any good motorfactors.

Graeme
28-06-10, 07:22 PM
Just replace the lot

Krazykyri
28-06-10, 07:23 PM
Was thinking that, but most of the bearing is off, how would you grip the small collar thats left? The hub is out of the knuckle, but the bearing itself broke apart.

mowgli
28-06-10, 07:37 PM
if the outer race of the bearing is still in the hub, then run a weld round the inside of it. then let it cool down & use a big hammer & a drift(solid metal object) and whack it

bmw156
28-06-10, 07:38 PM
can you not press it out?

make a purpose part for the press on a lathe, and then press it out.

from what you say though, that would be possible as like mowgli says you only have the outer race left.

Dremel?

mowgli
28-06-10, 07:42 PM
can you not press it out?

make a purpose part for the press on a lathe, and then press it out.

from what you say though, that would be possible as like mowgli says you only have the outer race left.

Dremel?

why take ages, and spend loads making a press piece.?????

people just never hit these things hard enough.....

any way, how do you plan to fit the new one?

Asa-James
28-06-10, 07:42 PM
if its the inner race stuck to the stub, CAREFULLY grind the top til its thin enough to craxk with a hammer, once its cracked it'll come off with some light chisle work from behind.

but ffs please dont grind into the stub, and if you do dont blame me!

Krazykyri
28-06-10, 07:45 PM
Sorry, should have mentioned its the inner race thats stuck, the rest of the bearing is out of the knuckle and off the shaft, has happened on both sides :(

16v Nova Kev
28-06-10, 07:49 PM
grind it

mowgli
28-06-10, 07:49 PM
ok, do you own a decent cold chisel & a 2LB hammer??

MattBrown
28-06-10, 07:55 PM
ok, do you own a decent cold chisel & a 2LB hammer??

Useless.

Bearing steel is harder than a chisel.

I just use a grinder, and make lots on incisions with a plasma disk, then it will crack, and slide off.

Done about 10 like this.

Also, press is into the outer, then press the inner in. NOT the other way round:thumb:

Krazykyri
28-06-10, 07:56 PM
I've got bearing race drivers, used them to get the old bearings out and the new ones in, problem is getting the old race off the shaft, but will have another go at the grinder

Krazykyri
28-06-10, 07:58 PM
Cheers guys, will let you all know tomorrow.

mowgli
28-06-10, 08:04 PM
Useless.

Bearing steel is harder than a chisel.

I just use a grinder, and make lots on incisions with a plasma disk, then it will crack, and slide off.

Done about 10 like this.

Also, press is into the outer, then press the inner in. NOT the other way round:thumb:

matt, of course bearing metal is harder, it is also more brittle. and a cold chisel is designed to be abused with a hammer... it will work, it does work, it has worked.

Krazykyri
28-06-10, 09:32 PM
Couldn't wait, went at them with the grinder and cold chisel, didn't manage to split the race, but the groove gave enough purchase for the chisel to move it round and free it :)
Job done.

Stuart
28-06-10, 09:47 PM
When I had the bearings pressed out/in by the tech at uni he used a cold chisel to crack the bearing race in half... so yes it works you idiot child