PDA

View Full Version : Brakes help

swedge
28-06-10, 10:37 AM
Just changed the rear brake cylinder on my nova and the metal plate on the back where the bleed screw and the brake pipe go into has snapped when tightening it back up

how do I go about fixing that? Can I buy the little plate or what?

mowgli
28-06-10, 11:02 AM
wanted ad time..... someone somewhere is pulling a set off the car for a disc conversion....

or remove it & get it welded up

swedge
28-06-10, 11:21 AM
Don't really want to weld it, how do I go about fitting it? As the brake pipe end won't go through it with the connection

mowgli
28-06-10, 11:33 AM
undo it connection... make sure you have a flexi pipe clamp & then bleeding is easy.

swedge
28-06-10, 04:09 PM
undo it connection... make sure you have a flexi pipe clamp & then bleeding is easy.

how do I undo it though as the end of the pipe has a connection on it and the other part just slides over the end but not right off

also where are the brake adjuster bolts? Are they the 2 on the bottom of the rear of the drum? How can I turn them as I can't get a socket or spanner on to them

mowgli
28-06-10, 04:53 PM
if you clamp off the flexi where the axle meets the shell, it stops the fluid leaking.

you can bend the copper pipes a little bit, but not much.

the adjuster bolts were only on 1983/4 model year, and then the dreaded self adjusters (which do nothing of the sort and most likely caused your rear cylinder to push out too far & fail) came along.

General Baxter
28-06-10, 05:01 PM
swedge, where abouts are you, im about to bin a pucka rear drum beam lol

swedge
28-06-10, 05:24 PM
swedge, where abouts are you, im about to bin a pucka rear drum beam lol

the very south of Scotland

I know the pipe can be d a bit bit I still don't know how I'll get the broken bit of metal off and the new one on as it won't slide over the brake pipe connection

mowgli
28-06-10, 05:48 PM
swedge, please put a pic up. cos these brakes are not complicated at all. and the cylinder just bolts to the backplate & then the pipe bolts to the cylinder. they aren't that difficult.

swedge
28-06-10, 06:23 PM
I think I know what's wrong the piece of metal I'm thinking about is probably the broken bit off the old cylinder which I don't need does the brake pipe screw straight into the cylinder with nothing in beyween it

mowgli
28-06-10, 06:36 PM
the brake pipe has a tube nut on it & there will be a flared end on the actual pipe that bolts into the cylinder.

swedge
28-06-10, 06:41 PM
Yeah that's right I also have a rectangle piece of metal on there which I thought was part of it as I never removed the old one

swedge
28-06-10, 07:16 PM
Also I can't seem to get the drum cover on enough to get the split pin back in I thinks it's the brake shoeshow do I pull them in to get the cover on more?

mowgli
28-06-10, 07:32 PM
are you using a haynes book?

it is pretty descriptive

usually there is a lip at the back of the drum that needs grinding off.

swedge
28-06-10, 08:28 PM
Yeah I am but when it says it easily fits on it dosnt lol

Annie
28-06-10, 11:52 PM
if you cant get the drum back on, when you took it off did you loosen the handbrake cable? i did this once drum came off fine but wouldnt go back on. just an idea easy to forget. :)

swedge
29-06-10, 02:39 AM
if you cant get the drum back on, when you took it off did you loosen the handbrake cable? i did this once drum came off fine but wouldnt go back on. just an idea easy to forget. :)

I also fitted a new handbrake cable, it's only attatched at the drums just now not in the center but I did pull the cable to get it through the guides