PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Advice

adam2472
07-05-03, 11:13 PM
rite im gettin some alloys in the nxt couple of weeks..(vaux nova 3 spoke standard GTE ones.. ) and then the next mod is guna be to lower it..

i been told that unless i get new shocks i wount be able to go ne lower than -40mm unless upgrading.. is this rite.. all the novas i seen on the features look real gud at -60mm drop and considering that -40 and -60 springs are same price i really wana get the -60 ones..

pls help casue i duno nething bout this kinda stuff! :oops:

Jules
08-05-03, 12:32 AM
You can lower it 60mm on standard shocks, but eventually the shocks will be knackered, you can get some fairly cheap suspension kits nowadays that come with shortened shocks so they don't 'bottom out' like standard length ones would, Also check the 'Part for sale' section as there is bound to be someone selling some shocks or maybe even a 60mm kit.
So although it can be done, it's not recommended and it'll probably fail it's MoT on the rear springs coming out unless you get shortened shocks to keep 'em in place.

Dave
08-05-03, 09:19 AM
So although it can be done, it's not recommended and it'll probably fail it's MoT on the rear springs coming out unless you get shortened shocks to keep 'em in place.
cable tie the spring to the cup that's what i did an it went through no probs as long as it's secure they can't fail it. a quick fix cut the bumpstop slightly as if you lower it 60mm on standard shocks the back will be a bit rigid then change to shortened shocks when you can afford to

adam2472
08-05-03, 09:32 AM
cable tie the spring to the cup that's what i did an it went through no probs as long as it's secure they can't fail it. a quick fix cut the bumpstop slightly as if you lower it 60mm on standard shocks the back will be a bit rigid then change to shortened shocks when you can afford to

rite using cable ties soundsa a bit dodgy ,, what exactly do u mean.. like i said befor i dunt really know much about this stuff.. and i take it that there must be some kinda stoping device ("bumpstop") which stops the shocks from bottoming out? are u saying u can modify it so they can get closer to the bottoming out point..??

Dave
08-05-03, 09:39 AM
all the cable tie does is stop the spring jumping out of the cup on a bumpy road it's perfectly safe. an mot tester will pass it as the spring is secure in the cup. get a long cable tie pass it through the centre of the cup over the spring then tighten cheap an effective
the bumpstop is inside the shock if you drop the shocks off the car pull the cover off then cut down a little so you have some travel in the suspension this is a quick fix do not try an run forever on this!

adam2472
08-05-03, 09:44 AM
ah i c.. lol.. how d'ya mean forever... how long did u run urs like this??

were do ya htink the best place to get springs from is.. ive seen on potn.co.uk they got a Gmax -60mm lowering kit (shocks n' springs) for bout ?200.. is this negud..

Dave
08-05-03, 09:51 AM
ran mine for a couple of months while i saved for my shortened shocks got g max all round springs an shocks, there are some cheap deals for suspension i think either go for a new set or find a nearly new one from the for sale bit, if you is gonna go for bigger wheels in the end though you'll need to think about getting the arches rolled

mikeoxford
08-05-03, 11:48 AM
slaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam ittttttttttt!

?Marty?
08-05-03, 04:27 PM
Most kits tell you to remove a certain amount from the bumpstops anyway.