PDA

View Full Version : Why do F1 drivers Pit under the safety car?

Dod
27-06-10, 01:34 PM
Seriously, stay out, let everyone else pit, get a good lead, when its a decent lead, nip in for a new set of rubbers, you re enter around 3rd or 4th, where as Alsonso in 4th place would up in 10th and Massa wound up it 17th. WTF?

vxr_racing_2008
27-06-10, 01:40 PM
you would need at least a 20 second lead though to even come out in 3rd/4th would be really difficuilt on old tyres :roll:

Dod
27-06-10, 01:41 PM
It'd be better than spending the entire race passing everyone else to get anywhere near the top 6!

vxr_racing_2008
27-06-10, 01:45 PM
there all dumb ****s then if they all thought pitting was the best idealol f1 is **** nowadays ever since hakkinen leftlol

Dod
27-06-10, 01:46 PM
I disagree, its come on leaps and bounds and this year is the best in a lifetime!

Alonso FTW to mess up the drivers standings.

Trendall
27-06-10, 01:51 PM
i agree with you when the safty car comes out while everyone pits keep going get that lead up in 1st and then when you come back round pit i get the idea and even if your on old tyres that need changing asap doing the speed with the safty car wont damage them and the half a lap im sure you can survive on the bad rubber get your pit crew ready for the change and wam bam out i come in 3rd happy days..

Edd
27-06-10, 01:51 PM
Webbers crash was awesome !! Walked away from as well.

Drive through for Hamilton ffs !!!

vxr_racing_2008
27-06-10, 01:53 PM
alonso boooooo:p kimi was the man pure raw speed now hes rising to the top in wrc :d

Dod
27-06-10, 02:01 PM
Webbers crash kicked ass. I loved the way he ****ed the steering wheel out to the street.

Edd
27-06-10, 02:05 PM
Alonso is a moaning tw*t, complaining bout Hamilton on the radio, hope he crashes.

Stoo
27-06-10, 02:27 PM
If they stay out, then they get stuck behind the safety car and te rest of the field bunch up behind them!

If they fire in to the pits quick enough, they keep their position and have fresh tyres. Free pitstop!

Of course if youre not quick enough you can lose out!

vxr_racing_2008
27-06-10, 02:33 PM
well said stoooooooooooooooooooooo:d

Hobbit
27-06-10, 02:37 PM
Nice to see Ferrari cheating through the stewards again :roll:

Dod
27-06-10, 02:43 PM
Hi Stoo.

Stoo
27-06-10, 02:44 PM
Hi Dod

pikey1986
27-06-10, 03:17 PM
it made me lol when alonso through a hissy fit when he asked where hamilton was after his drive through and was told still in 2nd

MattBrown
27-06-10, 03:21 PM
Im gonna go watch my scalextric lol

Or the bike racing lol

burgo
27-06-10, 03:54 PM
Seriously, stay out, let everyone else pit, get a good lead, when its a decent lead, nip in for a new set of rubbers, you re enter around 3rd or 4th, where as Alsonso in 4th place would up in 10th and Massa wound up it 17th. WTF?im confused as to how you think they can get a good lead??

mayhem
27-06-10, 04:04 PM
dod thinks they are allowed to overtake the safety car lol

Dod
27-06-10, 04:40 PM
After 2 laps when the safety car has gone the lead driver usually has a 3-5 second lead, go like nuts when the othere are scrubbing their tyres in and build a 10 second lead, get in and out in around 20 seconds and you're out in 4th place, maybe 5th and Robert is your fathers brother, kicking ass and in serious contention.

Stoo
27-06-10, 05:42 PM
It doesnt work like that dod

Dod
27-06-10, 05:47 PM
Ok, maybe not exactly as I've said but I'd still like to see someone try it.

Stoo
27-06-10, 05:50 PM
OK, ill just give Maclaren a bell.

'Oi oi, sack your strategy analysts, dod reckons hes got a better idea'
:roll:

Jack
27-06-10, 06:05 PM
Do they allow weaponry on the cars yet?

Dan
27-06-10, 06:10 PM
no, we're still stuck in the 'debris on the track' stage of the game

Dod
27-06-10, 06:13 PM
OK, ill just give Maclaren a bell.

'Oi oi, sack your strategy analysts, dod reckons hes got a better idea'
:roll:

Maybe give Ferarri a shout instead Stoo.... Couldn't do them any harm.

Andy
27-06-10, 06:14 PM
lol all the action is in the pitlane anyway.They need to learn off BTCC and make it full contact and shorter races imo lol

Jack
27-06-10, 06:18 PM
Damn, no weaponry = no interest here.

Death Race 2000 style would be fun :d

Andy
27-06-10, 06:23 PM
Destruction Derby style would win

burgo
27-06-10, 06:27 PM
Ok, maybe not exactly as I've said but I'd still like to see someone try it.did you actually watch the grand prix today dod? kobayashi tried 'your' stratagy today and was in 3rd for along time until he HAD to take his compulsory pit stop, this dropped him down to 9th where he then made two very bold moves to get him back to 7th.

L14MNP
27-06-10, 06:29 PM
Destruction Derby style would win
That's why F1 holds little interest for me these days. The cars are far too flimsy. Yeah they are technical masterpieces, but I'd still rather see two Korean saloons going door handle to door handle. lol

Andy
27-06-10, 06:30 PM
That's why F1 holds little interest for me these days. The cars are far too flimsy. Yeah they are technical masterpieces, but I'd still rather see two Korean saloons going door handle to door handle. lol
thats why i only really follow btcc,much more overtaking action,F1 is "fukk that if i clip that kerb my car will implode so i'll hold off till he pits" lol

Dod
27-06-10, 06:39 PM
Burgo, he still finished 2 places ahead of Alonso who was in 3rd before the Safety car. Compulsery Pit STops are pure Fail anyway.

L14MNP
27-06-10, 06:41 PM
Burgo, he still finished 2 places ahead of Alonso who was in 3rd before the Safety car. Compulsery Pit STops are pure Fail anyway.

"You've been on the green for 38 laps Cole, everybodys gotta pit." lol

blue_peg_16v
27-06-10, 09:52 PM
Seriously, stay out, let everyone else pit, get a good lead, when its a decent lead, nip in for a new set of rubbers, you re enter around 3rd or 4th, where as Alsonso in 4th place would up in 10th and Massa wound up it 17th. WTF?

tbf i thought shui should stay out with kobiashi behind he had a chance to get the gap needed for a stop wrong call to stop should of stayed out imo

from were kobiashi and shui started it was the only option imo and kobiashi finishing 7th was a massive achievement made possible by staying out if he pitted with everyone hed of been 15th

mowgli
28-06-10, 08:22 AM
the teams spend hundreds of thousands employing people to run the maths on all manner of scenarios. mcLaren used it to win several times this year... i think when button retires, he will be hired as a strategist.

the spanish street race was put there just for alonso, nobody else likes the place, the fans see sod all, so its no surprise he got all upset...

Dod
01-08-10, 02:13 PM
Oh look, Webber used my Tactics and he's in first place. Interesting.

Also, look how well Barrachello is doing. Thats a big **** you to all who doubted me.

Oi oi Dod, cheers for the tactics, theres a few million in the post for you...

blue_peg_16v
01-08-10, 03:38 PM
brichello finished 10th and only cos he had balls to drive with 2 wheels on the wall so didnt realy work for him, and the only reason it worked for weber was due to his car being 1 second a lap quicker than alonso and his team mate getting a drive through if that hadnt happened he would of made 1 place and finished second behind vettel but again that would of been down to the cars blistering pace

Dod
01-08-10, 04:11 PM
It worked none the less and even if Vettel hadn't have gotten the drive through it was always going to be close regardless IMO.

NavNova
02-08-10, 04:12 PM
It worked none the less and even if Vettel hadn't have gotten the drive through it was always going to be close regardless IMO.

It wouldn't have worked if it had been Alonso that had stayed out though. He would have moved up to 1st with the 2 red bulls right behind him. The red bulls would easily have cruised round behind him until he pitted and then when he came out of the pits he would have been 20 seconds behind them and they would have taken a second a lap out of him till the end of the race.

Ste L
02-08-10, 04:50 PM

it only worked for him, as the super soft tyres lasted ages, unlike usually they only last about 10-15 laps, he did over 30 on them - which normally you cant...

and the redbull was nealy a second alap quicker than all the other car's

blue_peg_16v
02-08-10, 05:03 PM
tbf if there wasnt a saftey car webber would of been second cos he would of just waited for alonso to pit then do a couple of laps and jump him they had that much pace the race should of been a red bull 1 2 with or without the saftey car but vettle cocked up and gave the win to webber

Dod
02-08-10, 07:14 PM
Irrespective of "it only worked because" and "it wouldn't have worked if" it did still work and better still, can and will work again. Webber had a staggering pace and even if Vettel hadn't have gotten his Drive through Webber may still have taken 1st.