PDA

View Full Version : rebuilt let running abit warm

turbo-boy
27-06-10, 10:42 AM
what up folks my let seems to be running a bit warm its not boiling over but to me it is running to warm,i built the engine myself and gaped all the piston rings before i put them in,usinging stanard gte rad with 82 thermo stat in it, where abouts does other people temp gauge sit

Rich
27-06-10, 12:18 PM
does the fan cut in an drop the temp down? May just be dodgey nova dials making you panic.

Wheres it sit on the guage?

Damo
27-06-10, 12:24 PM
Are you running an oil cooler on it?

just for compaison although a let will run warmer my XE runs just after blue mark with a corsa 1.2 rad.

turbo-boy
27-06-10, 06:30 PM
not using oil cooler til its run in,it sits at a qauter or just over it then when im driving it it gets to half way with heaters on but when i lift bonnet engine is really hot i hav had other lets but none run this warm int not boiling over or anythin like that.once its run it i put better oil in it and stick the cooler on it

Damo
27-06-10, 06:57 PM
not using oil cooler til its run in,it sits at a qauter or just over it then when im driving it it gets to half way with heaters on but when i lift bonnet engine is really hot i hav had other lets but none run this warm int not boiling over or anythin like that.once its run it i put better oil in it and stick the cooler on it

As long as its not boiling mate i wouldnt worry about it as it may just be the guage over reading you know how novas are lol.

krobinson
30-06-10, 06:53 PM
If it's a fresh build it'll run warm till everything beds in. Mine runs at a quater all the time. It only ever went to half once on a trackday

turbo-boy
30-06-10, 07:09 PM
got car through mot today all was good til the oil light came on when i was leaving the mot centre,this time the big ends are knocking, dont no weather to buy another new oil pump with nylon relief valve and a set of big end bearings,or just to get a different xe block and rebuild it,i hav had alot of bad luck with this engine.

Graeme
30-06-10, 07:15 PM
Had it run out of oil? Does sound like something is wrong to me

Nova_Tek
30-06-10, 10:38 PM
Maybe something oil related hence it running hotter. Oil is also used to help cool an engine as well as lubricate it.

turbo-boy
30-06-10, 10:41 PM
at the start it was all good then the relaef valve started playing up so took the oil pump of to hav a look at the gears are all f cuked the pump was a recon autopump one hav seen bad reports on the net about them.there has always been 4 1/2 litres of oil in it the relief valve has gone causing no oil pressure to the bearings

Nova_Tek
30-06-10, 10:43 PM
That's the second mention of a funked autopump oil pump I've heard in the last 2 days, pretty definitive about what to do with them.