PDA

View Full Version : C2OLET owners opinions please

Wazza024
27-06-10, 10:16 AM
Right 1st off i have a C20let which was running 280bhp at 0.9 bar boost on the highest setting but it has 3 different settings the lowest bein 227bhp at 0.5 bar boost which i have it set on that pretty much all the time, but it has now melted 3 pistons and damaged the head, 1st off it's in a garage getting stripped and put back together. They have told me the pistons in it don't look like they have been changed but they will tell me when they take them out on monday, and they told me they think it's running to much boost?? In other people's opinions is that to much boost? I need some help of information aswell to from other let owners.

I was thinking of changing the pistons wossner ones are these any good or what do other people use?
Mine had the coscast head on it which i will have to locate another good second hand 1 but what's the difference between a coscast and a normal 16v head??
And another thing is i got advised to change the valves to sodium filled valves? What does everyone else use?

Any help and advise would be greatful as i don't know alot about redtops.

Paul
27-06-10, 10:29 AM
What turbo? Cause a KKK will never flow 280bhp @ 0.9 bar.

If youve melted pistons ypu will more than likely need a new block, probably head.

Wossenor are ok. Coscast is same as GM heads, just better quality metal, less likely to crack. Sodium filled ex valves come as standard on a LET head to cope with extra heat.

You want to find out why its melted? What chips has it got, what boost controller.

AFR gauge?

Why did it melt pistons? What went wrong? Id advise getting injectors checked, finding out what chips you have, ditching boost controller, replace oil cooler as they may have trapped metal in it.

blue_peg_16v
27-06-10, 10:34 AM
paul pritty much summed it up matey but those boost levels arnt too high for a let imo

mine runs 1.15 bar on full boost so your levels are fine

General Baxter
27-06-10, 10:52 AM
i think hes just got a boost valve,

so hes upped the boost but no fuel
thats the only way to melt

Wazza024
27-06-10, 10:53 AM
What turbo? Cause a KKK will never flow 280bhp @ 0.9 bar.

If youve melted pistons ypu will more than likely need a new block, probably head.

Wossenor are ok. Coscast is same as GM heads, just better quality metal, less likely to crack. Sodium filled ex valves come as standard on a LET head to cope with extra heat.

You want to find out why its melted? What chips has it got, what boost controller.

AFR gauge?

Why did it melt pistons? What went wrong? Id advise getting injectors checked, finding out what chips you have, ditching boost controller, replace oil cooler as they may have trapped metal in it.

Im sure it's a standard KKK turbo on there just with different accuator on it.

The block i won't know about until monday when they take the pistons out but i need another head i know that. It was a coscast on mine anyway so i will try and locate another coscast to put back on it.

As far as i know there is no chips in it it's just running on an emerld management system on stage 3 so i've been told.

The guy in the garage told me the cause of it is it's getting way to hot in the chamber and it's running to much boost for it to handle, and im pretty sure the guy said it's running to lean aswell.

What pistons would you advise? I don't even use the boost controller that much anyway. I will try and find more about it on monday as it's down in a garage.

blue_peg_16v
27-06-10, 11:27 AM
who maped the ecu if its down to fueling its probably the map not the boost levels there not that high tbf

Paul
27-06-10, 06:58 PM
As far as i know there is no chips in it it's just running on an emerld management system on stage 3 so i've been told.

Unless something mechanical failed, FPR, injector, etc its down to the map that caused it to melt.

Stoo
27-06-10, 07:26 PM
Soundz lyk sum1 dunt av a clue!!

MattBrown
27-06-10, 07:49 PM
Sounds to me like someone has bought a £5.99 ebay bleed valve, and wound it in.

Expensive mistake being made by so many people round here lol

Wazza024
27-06-10, 08:11 PM
It was mapped by emerald them selfs. But hopefully the garage that's putting it right is going to sort all the mapping out if not ill take it to someone that knows what there doing.

General Baxter
27-06-10, 09:07 PM
i love it how you say, garage,

your going to have to take it to a proper tuner, at hundreds of pounds in costs to have set up

MattBrown
27-06-10, 09:25 PM
i love it how you say, garage,

your going to have to take it to a proper tuner, at hundreds of pounds in costs to have set up

lol

Just do a baxter, and set it up on the drive:thumb:

krobinson
27-06-10, 09:36 PM
Unlucky, when its rebuilt i'd recommend you get an AFR gauge.

On overboost i'm getting 12's and once boost settles its in 11's which i'm told is very safe levels for a turbo engine. I'm holding just under 1bar, overboosting to about 22psi.

General Baxter
27-06-10, 10:05 PM
lol

Just do a baxter, and set it up on the drive:thumb:

bet it would ****ing work, all id have to do it bluetac the switch down lol

david dixon
27-06-10, 11:34 PM
sounds to me like a piss poor job of mapping, too much heat and not enough fuel is always going to end up in trouble on any turbo engine.
i'll be willing to take a guess at too much ignition timing causing det, ovbiously would have been safer with more fuel.

What injectors are in it? and what fuel pressure? i hope its all not standard.....

David.