PDA

View Full Version : urgh, any good vw forums?

Stuart
26-06-10, 02:42 PM
as much as I hate the idea of owning VW (given my hatred of the A3), we have almost succumbed to the fact we wont find a Veccy estate/signum or 9-5 estate soon, and there are loads of passats about.

Where is a good VW forum for just 'normal' advice?

Novaboi_1991
26-06-10, 02:44 PM
http://www.ukpassats.co.uk/ ?

bmw156
26-06-10, 02:45 PM
i know of a vectra for sale.

ill get a link

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=FSW&action=display&thread=83155

Stuart
26-06-10, 02:51 PM
vec C ;)

bmw156
26-06-10, 02:59 PM
whats that one, a B?

Stuart
26-06-10, 03:01 PM
yeah.

Cheers novaboi. Just hope I dont catch rat/dubber lol

brownbear
26-06-10, 03:19 PM
www.edition38.com/forums for all you could ever need to know about any VW's... Just don't expect banter, friendliness or anything that makes you feel as part of anything.

Asa-James
26-06-10, 07:29 PM
I would strongly advise against a passat

craig green
26-06-10, 07:39 PM
Edition is full of scene victims. They'll have you 'bag' it & slammed on 20" Bentley rims Y0.

Club-GTI for real advice.

KSRY
26-06-10, 07:47 PM
Dad's got a Passat - great Torque and economy, not too happy with the build quality, says his old MG (ZTT and 4 years older) was better

craig green
26-06-10, 07:50 PM
Golf is better. VW clearly put all the resources into them. Oddly similar spec Golfs & Passats on the current new pricelist are cheapest in Passat format.

Stuart
26-06-10, 07:59 PM
much like the scirrocco is cheaper than an equiv spec golf too... nice.

So the passout is a dog then?

(seeing as there appears to be faster/better info here than on ukpassats lol)

craig green
26-06-10, 08:19 PM
VAG's just seem to be a nightmare from my experience & anyone elses.
Everything & anything that can go wrong is a common fault apparently.

Asa-James
26-06-10, 08:46 PM
VAG's just seem to be a nightmare from my experience & anyone elses.
Everything & anything that can go wrong is a common fault apparently.

And a pain to put right. Parts may be cheap and plentiful but when you start replacing lots it adds up.

Mazdas are good value, and rarely problematic from what I've seen, but like most gap stuff fails on expensive parts. As much as I hate to say it, mondeos art bas motors, plentiful, cheap and reliable

Stuart
27-06-10, 08:19 AM
Is the duff VAG comments down to buying dogs, or is that from a GOOD car being a pain?

ASide from eating DMF's and rusting the rear doors, oh and lunching injectors on the dervs.... No I wont go for a mundano.

So it appears I can get a car that is 'good value' in the purchase but will use all the fuel in the world and never break, or use no fuel but break.... FFS I want a halfway house.

ben doodar
27-06-10, 09:17 AM
I own a mk4 golf gt tdi 130 pd. It's sweet, good on fuel. Quite nippy, not fast but enough power for overtaking etc. Rear Axel bushes are common for going on golf & passats I replaced mine with some flo flex ones off eBay as there easier to press bk into the Axel, fairly easy job to do. I love mine personally, I think it's mint it's a 3dr with loads of room for putting my 2 year old in the bk n a big boot for the buggy etc. Vw ftw! Lol

bazil
27-06-10, 10:12 AM
There seams to be a fair bit of difference between dealers oop here, on one had my mates brand new golf R32 was at the dealers 5 times for lambda sensor problems then on the 6th visit they realised that they had been replacing the sensor on the wrong bank of the V6!!!? That was at a verve dealership,
my other mates dad has a Y reg pissat 130tdi with sport pack and a sunroof, nice but dull car but never had any problems with it or the Arnold Clark dealer, as for a first hand opinion on tuning the tdi ask brodie Sri about his golf, 180bhp iirc.

Ben
27-06-10, 10:43 AM
lol at you cant find a vec or Signum, for someone who says your not that fussy your really make a meal out of buying one of the most common cars on the road.

ben doodar
27-06-10, 10:48 AM
Lol @ Ben ^^^

Asa-James
27-06-10, 11:32 AM
As a slightly obscure suggestion, have you though about a fiat croma? Lots of car for the money, and basically a signum underneath (fiat/vaux platform sharing)

Diesels are a good shout, best engines fiat produced

Stuart
27-06-10, 01:22 PM
lol at you cant find a vec or Signum, for someone who says your not that fussy your really make a meal out of buying one of the most common cars on the road.

because all the veccys we've found (within 200miles) are bog toilet spec... Want atleast air con and a cd player lol

Fiat..... erm....... Dont want to have to throw a 6 to start it (regardless of how GM it is)

Dont care if the family car is bland and dull, its a family car FFS (till I can afford an M5 estate lol)

brownbear
27-06-10, 03:27 PM
Everybody hates VW's because there are so many of them out there and they still hold their value above other cars (Badge snobbery or build quality... I'll let you decide, I know my view!!)

Due to the amount of units out there of course any fault comes across as "common" Passat's are nice cars to be honest. Also due to how many there are out there you can get a decent one for not alot of monies!

To be 100% honest with you though, If I was looking for a family car I'd get a Bora. Basically a Mk4 Golf but for 1/4 of the price! (Nobody likes the ugly sister)
Loads of room and a f**king HUUUUGE BOOT! and CHEAP AS CHIPS!!

If you defo want an estate I've just bought a Golf Mk4 V5 Estate and it's GREAT! :)

I'm for VW all the way! But a lot of people still hate the badge and anything that goes with it! I think the number of good examples of any VW mark shows the quality of them, Also the Price of a 10 year old Diesel still holding the 3k Mark... A feat not achieved by being rubbishy built and constantly going wrong huh!!

Stuart
27-06-10, 04:48 PM
She dosent want a saloon, otherwise we'd have had a 9-5 about a month ago lol

Ben
27-06-10, 05:11 PM
Just look at a minniimum of SRi spec, seen loads for sale, was a nice one on Smegweb few weeks ago!

Open your eyes boy! 200miles will get you anywhere south of geordieland!

GTE TURBZ
28-06-10, 01:31 PM
wrong place

Ben
28-06-10, 01:33 PM
looks lovely but any relevance to this topic?

mowgli
28-06-10, 01:36 PM
meanwhile, back at the thread......

stu....... touran, find a low hp 1900td. they are excellent family motors.... even though with a walking sprog you don't actually need one, unless the missus just loves carrying tons of gear about.... high hp ones cost more & usually crack heads for some reason... also very good on fuel, & based on a golf

mowgli
28-06-10, 01:37 PM
poxy duplication......... slow internet etc in office........

Stuart
28-06-10, 06:37 PM
is the touran some MPV? (if so thats a big no no lol, its estate or funny hatchbak ala signum, or nothing)

Ben
28-06-10, 06:38 PM
yeah touran is a mini touraeg on a golf chassis

mowgli
28-06-10, 06:41 PM
stu, the car you want is too much money, the car you need isn't, we can't help you any more than that......

Ben
28-06-10, 06:42 PM
or your just not looking hard enough!

Stuart
28-06-10, 06:52 PM
meh, something will turn up... at some point during the weekly rounds of the used car dealers in a 30mile radius, shedtrader, various forums (really trying to avoid them as they are usually 'modded yo'), ebay and the occasional search on BCA (cba really with auctions as it appears we'd need to drop a grand off the budget for fees alone lol)