PDA

View Full Version : C16XE Help

CoupeLET
25-06-10, 10:23 PM
I've fitted this engine to my mk1 which used to be a 1.0 carb engine. It turns over great but for some reason im getting no spark, any boday have any ideas at all, i've tried a coilpack to no joy whatsoever, thanks

AlexW
25-06-10, 10:27 PM
Crank sensor?

Flash the fault codes, might show something.

Plug
25-06-10, 10:31 PM
Earths mate thats what mine was anyway.

Also check the ignition live you have stays live while crankng

stt
25-06-10, 10:33 PM
if you have a rev counter connected - if the crank sensor is fubared then it wont register any rpm when cranking, if the crank sensor is working it should show some revs on cranking

CoupeLET
25-06-10, 10:50 PM
I dont have a rev counter fitted im affraid, how would i check the crank sensor? Apart from flasing codes as i have no ecu light fitted. All my earths are in the right place surely if its still turning over? :)

Plug
25-06-10, 10:53 PM
if its not sparking im guessing you have the ignition switched live fed from the wrong place

CoupeLET
25-06-10, 10:58 PM
if its not sparking im guessing you have the ignition switched live fed from the wrong place

Is that the one on the 9-pin plug, thickish red wire? Thats going straight to the battery

stt
25-06-10, 11:02 PM
where are you located? there might be someone local who can come and have a look for you

CoupeLET
25-06-10, 11:07 PM
lancashire bud, that wire is correct though aint it?

Plug
25-06-10, 11:16 PM
Is that the one on the 9-pin plug, thickish red wire? Thats going straight to the battery

No thats your Perm live

Your after a thinish black wire that needs connecting to the back of your ignition barrel.

There are 2 big black wires coming out of the ignition switch you need to find the correct one to connect your switched live to

craig green
25-06-10, 11:27 PM
errr

This doesnt sound well installed at all. No rev counter, no EML wired in. It's easier to take a switched live from the wiper motor. Purple trace.

Check the loom for the engine hasnt had an alarm cut from it either.

Rysee
26-06-10, 12:08 AM
What about the resistor wire to the coil?

CoupeLET
26-06-10, 03:17 AM
errr

This doesnt sound well installed at all. No rev counter, no EML wired in. It's easier to take a switched live from the wiper motor. Purple trace.

Check the loom for the engine hasnt had an alarm cut from it either.

it has nothing to do with how its been installed, they've not been wired in because i still have standard clocks and hence need to purchase some rev counter ones, but getting the car running is my main priority and thinks like a rev counter isn't a necesity! I only asked for a bit of advice as i was stumped no need for that!!! Its people like you who critacise all the time that gives this website/forum a bad name!

Edd
26-06-10, 04:17 AM
If getting the car running is your main priority and you have problems you NEED the eml wired in ffs.

As for the forum having a bad name for its self, I think not matey, everyone on here is very friendly and helpfull.

You have problems with your engine conversion but havnt installed in properly, get the eml working then you might get some idea to what the problem is.

Southie
26-06-10, 08:01 AM
Just double checking but is it definately a C16xe?

As the rest have said though it would be best to wire in the EML otherwise you won't be able to flash any codes up which "may" have a problem.

To back Craig up, to be fair your conversion does appear a little bit rushed tbh I've been there and when your trying to get one of these engines in for the first time you'll come across plenty of little problem. What I'm getting at is Craig's a very cluded up guy as are many members off here so don't shoot them down if you've had a little criticism, we're all here to help out if possible as long as, as much information has been given to us. ;)

Welcome to PNG :thumb:

Plug
26-06-10, 09:56 AM
/\ well said southie :thumb:

mowgli
26-06-10, 11:21 AM
it has nothing to do with how its been installed, they've not been wired in because i still have standard clocks and hence need to purchase some rev counter ones, but getting the car running is my main priority and thinks like a rev counter isn't a necesity! I only asked for a bit of advice as i was stumped no need for that!!! Its people like you who critacise all the time that gives this website/forum a bad name!

seriously, you need the eml light to even hope of getting the fault sorted out. even if you just rig up any sort of light, the usual trick is to recycle the choke light...... again, the rev counter is a necessity fo see if it is running at the right idle speeds etc.

now the 1.0 nova has, as already said, a strange wire from the ign switch to the coil, which is the perm live, but it is resistive so the coil on a 1.0 has 6v. it needs replacing because it isn't ever going to power the ecu.

as for having a go at us, we get asked a lot of questions like these on a very regular basis, and what you have been asked is the sort of info we need to help you. we want more fast novas on the road too

CoupeLET
26-06-10, 01:19 PM
It is definately a c16xe yeah. Ok i do apologise then, i see where your coming from now. Could somebody possibly post up some kind of wiring diagram to help me out then for my specific car, i've had a look on the how to guide but cant really make head nor tail of it, thanks

milko96
26-06-10, 01:38 PM
The diagram on the 'how to' thread shows everything you need to know bud.

I had no spark on mine and we had wired it to wrong wire coming out of ingnition barrel as there are 2 to choose from so no power when cranking....

CoupeLET
26-06-10, 01:57 PM
Anychance somebody can explain what to do with the red and black wires on the 9pin plug, im no mechanic but i think ive done well to get this far, i think this is a case of wiring up wrong, thanks

Plug
26-06-10, 02:11 PM
Red wire is perm live

and the black wire is switched ignition live.

both of these wires can be joined to the wires coming out of your ignition switch but as many members have already said you need the right black wire as there are two to choose from.

CoupeLET
26-06-10, 02:43 PM
Red wire is perm live

and the black wire is switched ignition live.

both of these wires can be joined to the wires coming out of your ignition switch but as many members have already said you need the right black wire as there are two to choose from.

is that the thickest black wire on the ignition switch?

Plug
26-06-10, 03:10 PM
im not sure mate you will need a multi meter and check which one stays live whilst cranking.

or try one if no work try the other :)

i think but dont hold me to this that its the one furthest away from you if your sat in the drivers seat

CoupeLET
26-06-10, 03:21 PM
im not sure mate you will need a multi meter and check which one stays live whilst cranking.

or try one if no work try the other :)

i think but dont hold me to this that its the one furthest away from you if your sat in the drivers seat

Ive sorted it now dude, thanks for your help, i now have a spark but only a small one so gonna try connecting the wires properly and we should be good to go!!!

Plug
26-06-10, 03:53 PM
no worrys mate glad i could help :)

all i did with mine is slice some of the insulation off the wire then wrapped the joining one onto it and taped the living sh1t out of it lol

milko96
26-06-10, 05:37 PM
If you have the wrong wire you will still get a tiny spark as you stop cranking... or at least I did... so make sure its sparking regular while cranking.

CoupeLET
26-06-10, 05:46 PM
If you have the wrong wire you will still get a tiny spark as you stop cranking... or at least I did... so make sure its sparking regular while cranking.

Its starting the car up fine dude, its also revving fine etc so i think we've sorted it, thanks