PDA

View Full Version : Verifying an engine number

Graeme
25-06-10, 12:09 PM
I'm hopefully going to look at an engine over the weekend and wondered if there was anyway to check if its legit, i don't want to try registering it with the dvla and them tell me its not above board, i'm probably being a bit paranoid but just want to check before handing over my hard earned cash, i have the engine number btw thanks

mowgli
26-06-10, 11:31 AM
if it is going to be stripped & reconned, then you can quite legally, put GRAEME0000001 as the engine no........

you would need to see the v5 of the donor to get a quick answer, cos the slow answer would take weeks

Graeme
26-06-10, 12:41 PM
Am I correct in thinking though if its never been registered in a car since the original then the engine number should still be on the v5 of that car even if it was scrapped or stripped years ago, With all the engines for sale and people transplanting engines for years now , you'd think it would be easy to check up, I have asked a traffic policeman and also tried to contact the dvla and both have said they wouldn't know how to check, the last thing I want it to build the car up and find out something is not right

bmw156
26-06-10, 12:46 PM
a letter to the manufacture?
asking if "XXX" engine number is correct for what you think it is,

they can then confirm many other details like year etc etc.

thats not a quick answer though.
p.s maybe call the manufacture?

Lee H
26-06-10, 12:46 PM
My XE engine number is on the logbook of my red Nova (sorned off the road) and now my Corsa as that's where it lives now. DVLA didn't ask any questions even though both cars registered to me at my address.

mowgli
26-06-10, 12:51 PM
the other week one of our vans had a big puddle sucking, blown engine type thing.... so i had a look at the v5 & it honestly said not known for the engine no. it is a vw caddy..02 reg, i can scan it & pb it for proof if necessary

Lee H
26-06-10, 12:54 PM
My Corsa logbook also said this before I changed it. Car was first registered in uk in 96 even though it's a 95 car so guessed it was something to do with this.

MattBrown
26-06-10, 12:57 PM
Ring the police.

With the engine number, and ask if this engine has been reported stolen.

mowgli
26-06-10, 01:09 PM
you are young, glasshoppa, but you will learn

MattBrown
26-06-10, 08:27 PM
you are young, glasshoppa, but you will learn

You are old, that is not a good thing.

So because your older, your better?

Graeme
26-06-10, 08:42 PM
I'm amazed how this on going young/old sh1t can adapted to suit any thread these days, cheers for the comments, still find it strange how many engines change hands and there isn't a site where you can check

phazer
26-06-10, 08:43 PM
You are old, that is not a good thing.

So because your older, your better?
lol he wasn't having a go...what do you think will happen if it has been reported stolen??? lollol

djbrowney
26-06-10, 08:47 PM
The dvla havent got a clue, i sent them the clock code written on the block face not realising this wasnt the engine number and it was put on there !!!

craig green
26-06-10, 09:19 PM
I would imagine the only way of finding out is to actually fit/install a stolen engine & it get flagged up (for no reason I can think of) on the stolen property/vehicles register.

maybe VOSA could identify a stolen engine. The way I see it its probably easier to find out an engine is stolen than to enquire if an engine is legit.

Ben
27-06-10, 10:59 AM
As said its a grey area but tbh most people who deal in stolen car parts would grind the number off rather than have a comeback, and say it was a replacement block, the fact it HAS a number is a plus.

But TBH with how lame and useless the DVLA are i would just invent a engine number and send them that, no fear then.

Graeme
27-06-10, 11:33 AM
Is it an offence to have the incorrect engine number on the v5 though I have to blocks I might just use the one I can gaurantee

Ben
27-06-10, 11:35 AM
I have never heard of anyone getting done for it, just say thats the number you read.

I have taken cars for VIC checks (vehcle identity checks) with the wrong engine fitted and they passed.

Graeme
27-06-10, 11:35 AM
Cheers all