PDA

View Full Version : Guess my engine!!!

ade
07-05-03, 02:26 PM
This is bizarre.
My cars currently running all over the shop (see other post ref carb set up).

Compressions fine, cant get it to settle and its randomly reving itself.
I gave the carb a blast with some carb cleaner and it seems to have settled it a bit but now the revs are really high. Timings also well out - turn key off and it continues to run.

Anyway - Ive taken it into my local vauxhall garage and left it with them for a couple of days.

However I needed a timing cover but they cpouldnt work out what kind of engine I had!

I thought it was a 1400sr mk1 (had a round cam top cover).
However the bloke at vauxhall thinks different.

nfortunately the engine number has been ground away and replaced with a series of numbers (something like 192741 :o ) however one letter remains from the original number at the start. The letter "C" which the guy reckons stands for Catalyst.

As well as this, theres an automatic tension sprocket on the cam belt something not associated with 1400 mk1 nova engines (set via water pump?) and to add further confusion the carb manifold and gasket plate are off a 1600! part code stamped on the manifold is 90091634.

When I 1st got the engine the rocker cover said 1.6 injection but the guy I got it from thinks the prev owner just added it for show.

The vauxhall mechanic reckons its probably an astra or cavvy 1400 bottom end and other bits fitted to it - or maybe a nova SPi?

Anyone care to take a guess at what it might be?

I'll upload some pics later when I get it back. Hopefully they can get the right cam timing cover for it - hes given me the one for the astra/cavvy based on the tensioner and other small details (shape of block etc).

Also - if it is a cavvy/astra block - it this better?

Drove my birds 1400 seat ibiza last night and compared to mine (even running rough) its as slow as sh1te - and I aint even been ragging mine!

BIZARRE!

:roll: :?

Dicko
07-05-03, 02:31 PM
dont think it can be the spi model, is there no other stamps on it, like near the oil filter?
maybe see if there is a part number on the cam and get somebody to check which engine that is off? as most have different cams

ade
07-05-03, 02:39 PM
yeah - could do - I'm intreagued by these other numbers stamped in place of the old engine block. Any iudeas why someone would grind the block off then replace it with new numbers. There big and uneven but clearly stamped in place.

The engine looks like at some point its lower area (and around dizzy area) was painted blue.

I'll wait until vauxhall get back to me - see what they make of it.

Nova-Boy
07-05-03, 03:31 PM
Strange! dont like the idea of grinding off the engine number! dont mean to be funny but when someone says missing engine or frame number i always think its nicked! Sorry! Hope it isn't mind and you solve all the puzzles.

Have no idea if cavvy or astra blocks are better. thought the astra one would be similar not sure about cavvy? Did they make a 1.4 cavvy? Could be a 1.6?

Good luck!

jatinder
07-05-03, 03:53 PM
ade, thats so confusing post sum piccys up sombody might get it.

burgessovsalford
07-05-03, 04:17 PM
No wonder you have been having probs mate!

Are things like spark plugs, etc. the same on 1400 & 1600?? im not too sure, but say you did have a 1600 & you have been buying 1400 parts then maybe that could be the prob along. :?

Aragorn
07-05-03, 04:27 PM
sounds to me like a C14NZ block and head (SPi nova) coupled with some kinda cam a non existant inlet manifold and a weber 32/34

c14nz and spi head is identical to the SR stuff and its more likely outta a newer car too

techie
07-05-03, 06:10 PM
You lose the engine number if the block has been decked or refaced.

ade
07-05-03, 06:20 PM
decked or refaced? whats that then?

like skimmed?

rgv_stu
07-05-03, 06:59 PM
yes

the plastic square top timing cover is the only one that will fit your engine as it goes on all models with tensioner

personally i wouldnt worry about what is you cant really go wrong swapping bits between models

the 1.6 inlet (sv) is practically the same as the 1400 carb inlet anyway so that shouldnt be a problem, i replaced mine with one so i know that ;)

anyway any good mechanic should be able to time it without the marker on the cover, just need to find tdc