PDA

View Full Version : 1.0 carb misfire

aki_let
22-06-10, 05:28 PM
Running a 1.0 E reg nova estate at the moment. Its got a misfire intermittently. Also it cuts out alot when stopping at junctions and pulling away unless you really give it some.

was going to get a new dizzy, rotor arm, plugs and leads at the weekend as I'm pretty sure they'r the same ones from new bar the plugs. But before I do this I'm not missing anything simple am I?

Plug
22-06-10, 05:35 PM
Nova estate?? Pics please

MattBrown
22-06-10, 05:46 PM
GAP THE POINTS!!

I did this, and ran like a dream after.

Plug
22-06-10, 05:49 PM
lol i got a new engine haha

the 1L dont like constant abuse :thumb:

MattBrown
22-06-10, 06:13 PM
lol i got a new engine haha

the 1L dont like constant abuse :thumb:

Mine lasted 36k in total, that was 4 engines, got held flatout from cold, and constant valve bounce.

Top engines, would have been on my 1st still, but I took it too hard on a roundabout in 2nd lol

angusl2006
22-06-10, 06:17 PM
no matter how much the engine rattles bangs or pops it still goes like a beauty and i still cant blow it up :( cant beat a 1l lioke :)

aki_let
22-06-10, 09:42 PM
I ment nova saloon. sorry my head was in the clouds after work...

And without sounding like a muppet how do I gap the points. Ive never worked on cars this old before... I'm used to fuel injection modern engines lol

angusl2006
23-06-10, 03:52 PM
you need fiddler gauges to do this, better to get someone that knows what they are doing to check the points as they need to be chacked at a certain point. new points and condeser will also help alot :)

mk1nova_rich
23-06-10, 03:53 PM
as above pics of the "estate" please :d

MattBrown
23-06-10, 04:09 PM
Right, this is how I have done it for the last X years, cars and bikes.

Turn igniton off.

Take off handbrake, and put in 2nd gear.

Take off dizzy cap, and remove king lead from cap, leave attatched to coil.

You will see a square drive, with chamfherd edges, this is the "drive" for the dizzy.

Rock the car, so the points are at there "open" "Biggest gap" this should be around 1mm, or 25thou for us oldschoolers. (0.65mm is correct) lol

Adjust untill correct.

Doing it by eye is ok, but isnt 100% correct.

Now, place king lead a few mm from something earthed, turn on ignition, and rock the car, eveytime the points "break" the coil should fire a blue spark down the HT lead, at the earthed point.

Ahem, this is how I do it, if/when you shock yourself, please post a vid:d

Stuart
23-06-10, 04:33 PM
25thou for us oldschoolers.

Out!!! You are barely old enough to be out of nappies, let alone talk of old school with imperialness.

MattBrown
23-06-10, 04:37 PM
Out!!! You are barely old enough to be out of nappies, let alone talk of old school with imperialness.

Brought up restoring and fixing bikes from before even you where born.

Most of my first goes on the tools where imperial

So yeah, I do understand imperial.

Stuart
23-06-10, 05:18 PM
point/joke missed. Go sit on the retard step

MattBrown
23-06-10, 05:28 PM
point/joke missed. Go sit on the retard step

Even more lost nowlol

aki_let
25-06-10, 04:30 PM
HAHAH well put a new set of point in, new condensor, plugs leads and air filter. Runs smooth as smooth can be now