PDA

View Full Version : MOT Time!!!! Friday

Mattman
22-06-10, 10:32 AM
Got the car booked in for Friday

Whats she gonna fail on this year? Hopefully nothing as she has done barely any miles at all since the last one but.........

I reckon:
Headlights as the reflectiveness is a bit dodgy inside the units, allignment is way out I think.
Windscreen - slight crack on passenger side, pretty sure its under the legal limit due to its position but all depends on the tester I guess.

Anything else Nova's always fail on? This is only the second time I have put it through since owning it.

Not rust anyway as any it has is just surface.

GRUNT 16V
22-06-10, 10:36 AM
Why o why do people worry about nothing !!!!!!!!!!!! just put it in for mot if it fails then it fails !!!! to be honest it will more than likely fail on something stupid like a bulb or a wiper blade !! , and if it dosent then just repair it
nuff said!

Stuart
22-06-10, 10:42 AM
I gave up 'pre-empting' fails and just chuck it in.

Pass = win, fail = meh only doing stuff needed lol

Mattman
22-06-10, 10:44 AM
I gave up 'pre-empting' fails and just chuck it in.

Pass = win, fail = meh only doing stuff needed lol

sounds like the way forward, last year I left it to the day before Billing assuming it would go through with no probelms, boy was i wrong and only got the car MOT'd at 5pm on the Friday, what a stressful day that was

Jack
22-06-10, 11:29 AM
I can't remember the MOT rules re: windscreen off the top of my head; a chip on the passenger side should be fine, but a crack may be a fail.

Headlight alignment, the tester should waggle that around when he does the test. Unless its WAYYY out, but that would imply a bent front end.

It'll probably fail on something you least expect, like a wheel bearing or something daft lol

Mattman
22-06-10, 11:39 AM
In the process of organising autoglass to repair or replace.

Stuart
22-06-10, 12:12 PM
aslong as the crack is NOT within the swept area of the wiper you are fine.

shorter wiper blades are permitted ;)

Mattman
22-06-10, 12:14 PM
Just phoned autoglass and they made an appointment for tomorrow then they called me back and can come out this afternoon and they are pretty sure they can repair the crack. Result.

NitrousVaux
22-06-10, 01:38 PM
just finished putting mine back together and it passed its mot first time! LOL that was good!

GRUNT 16V
22-06-10, 01:40 PM
just finished putting mine back together and it passed its mot first time! LOL that was good!
congratulations !lol

Connor
23-06-10, 01:29 PM
I have access to full MOT equipment so am constantly checking things and maintaining it so come mot time i dont have a sheet of failures/advisories.
Simplez
Saying that you dont need access to mot equipment to maintain your car, just makes it easier

Mattman
24-06-10, 03:59 PM
Just been out adjusting my headlights for tomorrow and while adjusting the vertical on the driver side it doesn't go low enough to match the passenger one :confused: anyone had this problem before?

nathan.
24-06-10, 09:44 PM
Just been out adjusting my headlights for tomorrow and while adjusting the vertical on the driver side it doesn't go low enough to match the passenger one :confused: anyone had this problem before?

The MOT tester can adjust them if there out of alignment, there allowed to do this now in the test.

Also as Stu said if the crack is outside the swept area - pass
If its in the swept area it has to be less than 40mm and less than 10mm in Zone A (view directly ahead)

:thumb:

Mattman
25-06-10, 12:42 PM
Why o why do people worry about nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!
point now taken, passed with no "official" advisories :thumb: but the headlight units will need replaced. Hopefully find a set at Billing going cheapish ;)