PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Wire Thickness?

AndrewJenkins
21-06-10, 01:35 PM
Just wondering what speaker wire thickness people are reccomending and if oxygen free is a must or dosent make a difference just a bit of general direction

thanks andrew :thumb:

nova_saloon
21-06-10, 01:42 PM
depends what load your putting through and what speakers usually normal speaker wire is good enough usually white and two wire stuck together and one has a black stripe down in, not sure bout oxygen free stuff. never heard of it

Jack
21-06-10, 01:59 PM
Wire gauge will depend on the power going down it. The speaker specifications should say what gaugde wire to use, unless its crappy Halfords budget wonders. In which case any old wire will do lol

AndrewJenkins
21-06-10, 04:09 PM
no planning to get a descent little lot pioneer stuff or summin not quite decided but didnt want to spend the money to use crap wires n just wondered recomendations as didnt see any with it

Stuart
21-06-10, 04:20 PM
most audio cable is sold as oxygen free thesedays so no need to worry/care.

Halfords do some of the best price cable, I got about 40Meters of the stuff for wiring up the home cinema system as it was the cheapest place, mr monkey cutting the cable was asking what kind of sick install I was doing lmao

AndrewJenkins
21-06-10, 04:27 PM
lol halfords workers cant be helped a poor breed lol n thanks for the tip mate will have to go down there any piticular thickness to get?

Stuart
21-06-10, 04:41 PM
how much powaaaaaaaaahhhh do you think you will be running lol

AndrewJenkins
21-06-10, 04:46 PM
the plan will probally be head unit to door speakers n to rear 6x9s n maybe a 8-10" sub :)

Stuart
21-06-10, 05:02 PM
for the speakers (inc the 6*9's but not the sub) I'd say their thinner blue covered cable will do (and wont be a slag to route)

AndrewJenkins
21-06-10, 05:18 PM
what about the sub then? n thanks for your help mate

craig green
21-06-10, 06:08 PM
A bit fatter obv to cope with the wattage/low notes.

I was going to add that unless you are using £1000 amps etc you dont need to spend big bucks on cabling. OFC is as it says, pure copper with no air trapped in it, it conducts best/better than cheap copper.

AndrewJenkins
21-06-10, 08:41 PM
ok mate thanks for the help

Stuart
22-06-10, 10:28 AM
aside from buying mains cable, you will be hard pushed to find much non OFC audio cable thesedays