PDA

View Full Version : poor quality powercap

davidfox280585
20-06-10, 11:49 PM
as above got one give from my friend he never used it got it brand new a whle ago from ebay come with a full kit for a corsa
he never used as he had one already,
the bottom edge is all over the place not even gonna try to see if it will seal gonna get it machined tomorrow,it has no name on it just painted shonky red rough inside castings
tried to slot it over my original bolts and was mega tight
anyone had one of these inferior pieces of rubbish powercaps:thumb:

bmw156
20-06-10, 11:59 PM
kind of off topic, but as rant.

i hate it when people/companies go to the trouble of "copying" a design and reproducing items which are of **** quality.whats the point in investing time, money, skills, etc etc when your making rubbish. your just causing more hassle for your self.

rant over.

davidfox280585
21-06-10, 12:02 AM

i hate it when people/companies go to the trouble of "copying" a design and reproducing items which are of **** quality.whats the point in investing time, money, skills, etc etc when your making rubbish. your just causing more hassle for your self.

rant over.

i agree im going to get it on lathe tomorrow get it skimmed then try to fit it after i go bapp for some bolts and see how it fits but first impressions when he dropped me it in were like wtf

MK999
21-06-10, 12:02 AM

rant over.

Because low tolerances and poor quality finishing/materials reduces the costs exponentially

nova_saloon
21-06-10, 12:08 AM
well smooth out the inner casting get the surface flattened, strip it of paint and repait it, then job should be good if you fix all problems, but does sound a bit cheap to me

Damo
21-06-10, 12:38 PM
Id stick to the original SFI box if you have it dave as the power caps do s**t all i found that witht the sfi box the engines miles smoother too.

MattBrown
21-06-10, 12:47 PM
A lathe?

Just buy a propper one, only £95 and mine fits tip top!

GRUNT 16V
21-06-10, 12:54 PM
SFI box ftw

mowgli
21-06-10, 12:58 PM
welcome to the usual quality of 'tuning' parts sold in the uk, at least you never paid anything for it.

Sloth
21-06-10, 01:23 PM
i use a saxo air box top, cut down, and an ecotec pipe £10 from a breakers. jobs a goodun.

Riggy
21-06-10, 02:16 PM
You should have a gasket so the bottom face won't matter too much

they have different bolts so it wont go over the original ones

and the rough internal finish is prob better for the airflow :)

As for the bad paint , well there is no excuse for that lol :)

Mike
21-06-10, 02:57 PM
i agree im going to get it on lathe tomorrow get it skimmed then try to fit it after i go bapp for some bolts and see how it fits but first impressions when he dropped me it in were like wtf

Flol lol lol Id love to see some one try an skim a powercap in/with Lathe lol lol

A milling machine is what you need, not a lathe lol lol

davidfox280585
21-06-10, 04:46 PM
well cost me a tenner for it skimmed flat again £2 for the bolts from bapps found a turbo gasket brand new in my bits ready to fit let you know how i got on,

and yes i know you dont use original bolts but should still slot over smooth