PDA

View Full Version : Blitzing cv joints!

auzzy-b
19-06-10, 07:53 PM
My xe has just inilliated the n/s inner
cv joint and today I've replaced it with a brand new one and after an hour it's killed this one?! Anyone know why

fearless
20-06-10, 11:39 AM
Insufficent drive shaft plunge !!!! Place a 5mm spacer between the cv joint and the wheel bearing/hub - althought you will have to redrill the split pin hole on the joint as it will no longer be visible when the spacer is fitted !!!

When your front suspension is at it's extreme's of travel - ie wheels off the floor or bottomed out - the length of the driveshaft is at it's longest as opposed to when the shaft is in the horizontal position (Shaft at it's shortest) - If the driveshaft is slightly to short - the cage/bearings in the cv joints are pulled out to the edge of the joint - running at there weakest point (resulting in the cv joint failing - you will probably see where the balls have pushed out the cv joint casing)

When you lower your car - the driveshaft will probably not be in the horizontal position (ideal) - running at an angle

By fitting a spacer on the end of the outer cv joint before you push it through hub and fit the nut on the end - you will be pushing the outer body of the cv joint further onto the shaft - allowing the cage/balls to run in the strongest part of the joint

It's a bit difficult to explain without showing you what I mean - bu I hope that makes sense

Dave

auzzy-b
20-06-10, 09:24 PM
I get you bud! I think lol I did notice the outer cv joint when fitted to the hub does stick out quite a bit more than the other (o/s)! So I need to fit the spacer to push the shaft further into the cv joint so it's not at it's weekday point..
I also noticed the joint went both times when I was going over speed bumps/corner hard

w88rdy
20-06-10, 10:00 PM
this is how mtech shafts and big block hubs work on corsa b with the washer on the inner side of the hub mate