my clocks dont have eml built in there digis,
it has new donut seal,
replaced the throttle position sensor
checked for air leaks,
cleaned throttle body out,
seems hit and miss sometimes starts fine but mostly rough:mad:
ive also unplugged the airflow meter but then stalls
lambda is in all wired up,
am i right in thinking to change the coolant temp sensor as seems to be fouling plugs up too

General Baxter
19-06-10, 03:24 PM
replace the igntion side of things ?

davidfox280585
19-06-10, 03:27 PM
its had new plugs anything else to suggest nick or anyone as im ready for kicking it

jackhines15
20-06-10, 10:01 PM
i hav had this problem too. i havent been able to completly solve it but wat made the engine runbetter was cleaning out the idle controle valve. i cleaned it with a concoxtion of sprays. electric contact cleaner, air intake cleaner then gave it a good soakin with WD40. hasnt totally fixed it bt sure runs better.

w88rdy
20-06-10, 10:31 PM
have you got icv and knock sensor plugs correct way round? and yes faulty coolant temp sensor makes xes overfuel badly !

davidfox280585
20-06-10, 11:00 PM
right today i have looked at it i have had my heat laser out and on each exhaust port number one is running very cool so changed that plug for a different one runs loads better,
then found a split in the pipe to the fpr so changed that
then found the cut down sfi box had a crack in it so now have a powercap to fit tomorrow will see how it goes tomorrow

also which is the idle speed control valve is this the little vacuum box?

thought the one on the throttle body was a throttle position sensor?

also the little vacuum box i have a pipe missing from ths where is this vacuum connected to?

Sloth
21-06-10, 09:27 AM
icv is behiond the mani down the back of the motor, sounds like that tbh.

Dod
21-06-10, 09:30 AM
The Idle Control Valve is under the Throttle body and inlet manifold. Take the SFI box off and get it from the Gear Box side.

TBH mate, I'd just check the connections on all the sensors not as its not an every day thing. Earth points are also a good idea to check to.

davidfox280585
21-06-10, 04:51 PM
all earts are good 2 earths to the fuel rail,
main gearbox earth on and the little one to firewall near the battery

going to fit the powercrap tonight see how i get on,

MAIN ISSUE i dont know what pipe goes to the little vacuum box the two way pipe one??

DO i need a fuel tank breather fitting in it somewhere or not as i dont have one??

cheers guys

Dod
21-06-10, 05:02 PM
Tank breather usually goes to the carbon canister behind the passenger side wing, if you dont have one, dont fit one as neither are really needed. TUck it away somewhere out of sight. Its an XE so the hose to the Vacume box comes from nowhere as its unused on the XE (as per all my Cavs)

blue_peg_16v
22-06-10, 09:25 AM
dave i have a couple of icvs in the garage if you wanna try one just nipping hospital done mi foot in but i can pop down later if your about

davidfox280585
22-06-10, 01:06 PM
dave i have a couple of icvs in the garage if you wanna try one just nipping hospital done mi foot in but i can pop down later if your about
brill rich if ya can

today its had
1. new coolant temp sensor
2.plugs
3. leads

still same will try this icv off rich

upto date ive changed

cts
plugs/leads
air flow meter
swapped knock sensor and icv plugs now replaced as were
throttle position sensor

baffling me as what next its still holding back majorly:thumb:

Southie
22-06-10, 01:10 PM
It sounds to me that it might not be getting enough fuel through under load, what colour are your plugs also are they gapped correctly?

Also have you checked your timing?

davidfox280585
22-06-10, 01:12 PM
It sounds to me that it might not be getting enough fuel through under load, what colour are your plugs also are they gapped correctly?

Also have you checked your timing?
timing is bang on
the plugs are brand new bkr6ek twin contact ones and are gapped fine going to whip a plug out now have a look back in 2 minutes:thumb:

davidfox280585
22-06-10, 01:14 PM
dry black sooted:wtf:

Southie
22-06-10, 01:17 PM
SPARKPLUGCLICKY (http://www.motaparts.com/cgi-bin/includes/KnowHow.htm)

Does it run on 4, only this is how my C16xe started off and eventually the headgasket blew.

davidfox280585
22-06-10, 01:20 PM
SPARKPLUGCLICKY (http://www.motaparts.com/cgi-bin/includes/KnowHow.htm)

Does it run on 4, only this is how my C16xe started off and eventually the headgasket blew.
looks exactly as the sooted left pic

but whats confusing me is its got new cts air filter is perfect and powercap all plumbed in fine
any ideas maybe lambda looking at this giving the ecu wrong signal

Southie
22-06-10, 01:22 PM
What fuel pump are you running and have you changed the fuel filter?

Still could be the icv though and I'm running out of ideas now lol

EDIT: Just noticed you've changed the icv.

EDIT: EDIT: Is it burning any oil?

davidfox280585
22-06-10, 01:25 PM
What fuel pump are you running and have you changed the fuel filter?

Still could be the icv though and I'm running out of ideas now lol

EDIT: Just noticed you've changed the icv.

no icv hasnt been changed as a standard inline filter and using the cavalier pump inline on on a carb tank
icv will be swapped tonight see how i get on otherwise i will take it out and put a td in lol

Southie
22-06-10, 01:29 PM
What's it run like with more fuel in, the carb tanks have no swirl pot inside so it could be underfueling especially when you go around corners, this is why people usually use the gte/gsi tanks when the external pumps running.

davidfox280585
22-06-10, 01:32 PM
What's it run like with more fuel in, the carb tanks have no swirl pot inside so it could be underfueling especially when you go around corners, this is why people usually use the gte/gsi tanks when the external pumps running.
ive only had it in a straight line the gauge says i have a third of a tank still spluttering when revved up letting it tickover now to get hot will see if theres any change now:thumb:

davidfox280585
22-06-10, 01:36 PM
just sat with a fast tickover as soon as it hits 2100 rpm it hunts up and down itself even with a staedy throttle then,
if you gas it, it revs itself high then diestil it goes under 2000 rpm then revs again, this is all while sat

also running cream injectors on dizzy engine is this right?

Southie
22-06-10, 01:45 PM
Just a thought have you tried cleaning your icv out with some brake cleaner, put a little oil on after to keep it loobed up. ;)

EDIT: Not sure on the injectors tbh.

davidfox280585
22-06-10, 01:50 PM
Just a thought have you tried cleaning your icv out with some brake cleaner, put a little oil on after to keep it loobed up. ;)

EDIT: Not sure on the injectors tbh.
will try tonight to swap but no i havent cleaned it but will do tonight see where i am

Southie
22-06-10, 01:53 PM
Fingers crossed :d

http://www.tourdates.co.uk/resources/GetImage-DN-3315-1.jpg

blue_peg_16v
22-06-10, 04:06 PM
hi dave left the icv under the front wheel no answer when i nocked hope it sorts it have you tried crank sensor?

if needed you can borrow the one off the let to check as i know that ones good

also have a spare dizzy or 2 if you wanna try that

have you checked wiring red plug to knock sensor black icv?

blue_peg_16v
22-06-10, 04:12 PM
just sat with a fast tickover as soon as it hits 2100 rpm it hunts up and down itself even with a staedy throttle then,
if you gas it, it revs itself high then diestil it goes under 2000 rpm then revs again, this is all while sat

also running cream injectors on dizzy engine is this right?

yup creams were on the dizzy engine mate

Sloth
22-06-10, 04:34 PM
its over fueling. have you checked all tyhe vac pipes for splits and leaks? esp the one to the fuel pressure regulator.

davidfox280585
22-06-10, 06:19 PM
its over fueling. have you checked all tyhe vac pipes for splits and leaks? esp the one to the fuel pressure regulator.
yes all replaced with silicone hosing (new)

rich many thanks be home about 8 if ya wanna pop round:thumb:

Southie
22-06-10, 07:25 PM
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx323/chazz18/popcorn-1.gif

davidfox280585
22-06-10, 11:25 PM
right (big sigh)

coolant temp sensor swapped,
lambda unplugged and tried without,
air flow meter swapped for a proven good one,
powercap on new donut seal all good,
idle speed control valve swapped,
distributor swapped,
plugs (new)
leads (new)
coil swapped

to top it all off we replaced the throttle body complete with another tps sensor and replaced the vac to the fpr and B E A utifal

runs absolute perfect big thanks to blue peg for the help and parts:thumb:
thought id update as there is too many threads on here without a final answer

big thanks to all for there input into resolving the issues ive overcome:thumb:

Southie
23-06-10, 10:10 AM
WINNER

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b325/Cheryl_Lynn7284/Pictures/Holidays-Occasions/4th%20of%20July/fireworks-animated.gif

Dod
23-06-10, 10:17 AM
Honestly, I knew it was that.