PDA

View Full Version : gearsticks whos cut theres and what knobs fit

davidfox280585
18-06-10, 06:43 PM
as above seems to long was gonna cut it down

how much to cut off for a decent throw?and do the corsa round gearknobs fit straight on?:) :thumb:

Graeme
18-06-10, 06:47 PM
I've always cut about 100mm off and drill out a pool ball for a cheap gear knob (a mate does rentals and I got a full set for a tenner, so can't complain)

Lewis.
18-06-10, 09:16 PM
the gearstick in my corsa was cut down by about 80mm. lovely short throw, and i really liked it, only problem was the lift up reverse mechanism wouldnt fit so could never find 1st lol. no such problem with a nova though :) i'd cut about 100-120mm out as novas are quite long. not sure about the corsa gear knob, i've got a spare kicking around so can measure it up for you if you want?

Dod
18-06-10, 11:35 PM
Are you looking for it shortened or a short throw set up?

davidfox280585
18-06-10, 11:36 PM
shortened poss short throw setup its an c20xe

Dod
18-06-10, 11:38 PM
IIRC theres a DIY short throw available for these but I cant for the life of me find it. You running an internal shifter or standard? If you run a Cav item, replace it with a Mk4 Astra set up as its a lot shorter.

davidfox280585
18-06-10, 11:40 PM
im running standard nova shifter standard nova linkage too

AlexW
18-06-10, 11:45 PM
Corsa knob fits but as there is no lift up reverse, the bottom feels funny.

davidfox280585
18-06-10, 11:57 PM
brill i have one at home i put in my pocket at scrap yard so i will give it a try after i hack her down

Rysee
18-06-10, 11:58 PM
Longer gear sticks ftw

craig green
19-06-10, 12:01 AM
Longer gear sticks ftw

especially if you run the seat anywhere near the back of its travel on the subframe. I'd love the stick an inch or 2 further back. Its up front for little old grannies to reach. lol

grooge
19-06-10, 12:08 AM
especially if you run the seat anywhere near the back of its travel on the subframe. I'd love the stick an inch or 2 further back. Its up front for little old grannies to reach. lol

you can move the stick back and forward. mines been moved forward cos the previous owner had really long arms and I always meant to move it back again but have kind of gotten used to it and never have.
makes the gearstick on my mums vectra feel really weird though, when her cars in neutral the sticks in the same kind of position it would be in if i was in 4th.

craig green
19-06-10, 12:12 AM
the gearstick on my mums vectra feel really weird though, when her cars in neutral the sticks in the same kind of position it would be in if i was in 4th.

I hate that & wouldnt do that as an adjustment via the linkage. Its just a bug I have with Novas. You could do it easily if installing the Cav internal shifter, but then the handbrake lever gets in the way.... :roll:

wwmnw
19-06-10, 12:13 AM
Wouldn't it just be easier to mod the linkage to make it shorter instead of cutting the gear stick? I've not driven one with a cut down stick but I cant see it being nice as I like the place mine sits in each gear.

craig green
19-06-10, 12:15 AM
Why do you want it shorter? For looks? Make it look fatter!

Having too 'quick' a linkage & too short a throw will give the syncros in the box a hard time & often shifts are awkward because of it.

Rysee
19-06-10, 12:16 AM
I hate having to lean forward then again i sit close like a granny haha

wwmnw
19-06-10, 12:16 AM
I've never looked into the side effects of a shorter throw except obviously shaving times off gear changes which in pro racing could save some time how ever small it may be, I want to do it on my car but I don't know the cons, maybe you could go into more detail for me Craig?

craig green
19-06-10, 12:21 AM
By moving the selector on the box too quickly, it actually causes to the syncros not to mesh as its all happening too quick, so you feel like your ramming it into gear unsympathetically & you risk damaging the syncros.

We put a Regal quickshift on an Astra GTE & it was boderline too quick. It would only shift cleanly if you did it very smoothly & acurately, which is another downside. The motion becomes more precise. Its not really any quicker, but on paper/in theory should be.

davidfox280585
19-06-10, 12:22 AM
just seems a tad high was thinking of about and inch,i had a quick shift bought via ebay on my corsa td seemed ok but quality was rubbish i had to retack the rose joint balls back on

bigdan1
19-06-10, 12:25 AM
just get the angle grinder on it mate it feels so much better if you take enough off i find i can change gear so much better and quicker and you can always put the nova one back on if you dont fuk the inside up 2 much.
or go to hootys and get one for a 5a lol.

wwmnw
19-06-10, 12:40 AM
By moving the selector on the box too quickly, it actually causes to the syncros not to mesh as its all happening too quick, so you feel like your ramming it into gear unsympathetically & you risk damaging the syncros.

We put a Regal quickshift on an Astra GTE & it was boderline too quick. It would only shift cleanly if you did it very smoothly & acurately, which is another downside. The motion becomes more precise. Its not really any quicker, but on paper/in theory should be.

I see what you mean, in other cars I've been in its worked fine, although the life of the box wont be as long.

Sloth
19-06-10, 01:03 AM
4ft gearlever ftw....

mrT
19-06-10, 04:18 AM
dont be a pikey in cut the gear stick as 1 it will look **** and 2 it will make changes slower, u can fit or make a quickshift but word of warning there a pain to live with everyday