PDA

View Full Version : Gear Knob

NathanSRi
18-06-10, 12:37 AM
Hey guys, wasn't sure where to post this so i thought i'd post it here.
How do you remove the gear knob off a Nova? I know i probably sounds really thick but i've tried just pulling it and un-screwing it and it won't come off, any help?

AlexW
18-06-10, 01:22 AM
With great effort.

I ended up removing just the stick (Two bolts at bottom of the selector bit), then loostly setting mole grips on the shaft (ohh err) under the knob (OHh dear), and getting somebody else to hold the shaft, while i pulled the grips/knob off. Heating it in hot water may help too.

Any more inendos in that?!

Nova_Tek
18-06-10, 06:50 AM
Easy mate, no need for to remove your stick just the knob lol

At first I thought it was doable by hand but ended up really butchering the knob. Best way to go about it (and it'll literally take 2 mins)

- Get a short thick piece of wood or a metal equivilant (something that is shorter than the full length of the gear stick so you can tap it from underneath with a hammer and which will allow you to place this piece aginst the shaft of the gear stick so it sits square against it)

- Place this piece of metal/wood under the knob so it sits flat against the stick and knob.

- Once that's done, using a hammer (or something with a bit of weight behind it), tap this piece of metal/wood up against the underside of the knob. The knob will, bit by bit, start to come off the gear stick.

The new knob (if it's a Vaux item) should just push fit onto the stick.

That's how I got my gearknob off my Mk1 to replace with a 5 speed item.

GRUNT 16V
18-06-10, 10:38 AM
http://osopher.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/hammer1.jpg
If all else fails then tw@ it !

Nova_Tek
18-06-10, 11:42 AM
He'll need one of those to take it off with a bit of wood.

craig green
18-06-10, 12:41 PM
The knob is an interference fit on the stick. Twist it off.

djshaggeh
18-06-10, 12:43 PM
Best way I found was a pair of mole grips underneath and hit the mole grips upwards and mind your face.

Timmy
18-06-10, 12:45 PM
man up and pull it off wimp!!!

Nova_Tek
18-06-10, 12:54 PM
Don't pull it off!

I did that 'thought funk it, I'll just man handle it off'

Pulled the knob off the plastic core. Thought 'great, sorted' and only realised a year later once I got a new knob that the plastic bit left on the stick is a part of the knob, hence why my knob just fell to bits and cracked.

djshaggeh's tip is also another good one with the same principle as mine but you may scratch the stick.

This should be in 18+, too much use of the word knob, shaft, stick lol

mowgli
18-06-10, 01:05 PM
be safe, remove the stick assembly then do it......

NathanSRi
18-06-10, 03:59 PM
Thanks Guys :)

Jack
18-06-10, 04:52 PM
Hacksaw it off, the shaft is like 10ft too long anyway

Nova_Tek
18-06-10, 04:54 PM
lol so true