PDA

View Full Version : Door pin

Nova_Tek
17-06-10, 12:08 PM
Although the Nova has an alarm with shock and proximity, in the interest of further security I have been thinking about shortening the door lock pin (the black door pin inside), so that it helps eliminate little n00bs trying to bend the door back and unlock from the inside. Example VW door pins that go right down into the door card and sit flush.

Is it at all possible get the door pin to sit flush with the hole it comes out of?

Would the pin need cutting? Will the thread in the core of the pin allow it to go down that much?

I'm sure someone has considered doing this, although I've never seen it attempted or done, maybe there's a reason.

Just need some info :thumb:

nova_saloon
17-06-10, 12:22 PM
not sure on this, but if you cut the standard on and tap a new hole further to the tap as its only plastic it could work well. . if like to see this done to honest, is a good idea. or shorten the rod and make a thread further down, that would also work better i recon. pics and tutorial if it wins!

mowgli
17-06-10, 12:27 PM
it would only work with some form of central locking, because, the vw setup means you can push the pin down, and still use the inner door handle to unlock it... the obvious problem is that the nova inner handle doesn't actually unlock the lock, it only undoes it after it is unlocked.

if you fit central locking, you could actually remove the pin completely.

Nova_Tek
17-06-10, 12:38 PM
not sure on this, but if you cut the standard on and tap a new hole further to the tap as its only plastic it could work well. . if like to see this done to honest, is a good idea. or shorten the rod and make a thread further down, that would also work better i recon. pics and tutorial if it wins!

Those were the options I was thinking of, the only options really lol Realy considering it as it's a security weakness of the Nova once alams and immobs are fitted.

it would only work with some form of central locking, because, the vw setup means you can push the pin down, and still use the inner door handle to unlock it... the obvious problem is that the nova inner handle doesn't actually unlock the lock, it only undoes it after it is unlocked.

if you fit central locking, you could actually remove the pin completely.

Very good point Mowgli, the Vdubs do open from the inside via the door handle. So accidently locking the nova will mean you're stuck in there. The car has remote locking, but this will have to be worked around. :thumb:

phazer
17-06-10, 12:46 PM
Does your alarm allow lock/unlock with the ingition on/engine running? If it does you don't have a problem :)

I removed mine years ago, got some LEDs in place now and all uncessary lock rods and bits have been taken out.

Nova_Tek
17-06-10, 12:52 PM
Was just about to post the above Phazer. Realised it after I wrote my last post.

My alarm locks the doors about 5 secs after ignition is on/car has started and unlocks door immediately so no worries there. I was looking at LED door pins but they look crap.

AlexW
17-06-10, 01:08 PM
you would just need to shorten the metal rod iirc.

why not just remove them fully?

Nova_Tek
17-06-10, 01:14 PM
Removing never really came to mind just shortening it did. At least if I can tell from a short distance if the doors are locked or not as the pin will be visible. There's one good use for door pins lol

mowgli
17-06-10, 02:05 PM
There's one good use for door pins lol

remember those sage words, when you have your arm out the window & you lock the doors properly by accident........... does the central locking have a good enough logic circuit to understand what you have done??

i have a cobra one, dealer fitted to a pickup, and if it is unlocked by the fob, then locked by the key, it hasn't got a clue whats just happened and takes ages to reset.

Nova_Tek
17-06-10, 02:17 PM
I'm sure it'll be fine mate, whether the doors are locked or not, everytime the ignition is switched on or turned of it'll always try to either lock it or unlock it.

Obviously I'll double check this operation when I've refitted the remote locking back on the car.

phazer
17-06-10, 02:29 PM
I was looking at LED door pins but they look crap.

I've got old school clifford leds in mine, they look fine. The newer square clifford leds look better but mine is a period mod so meh lol