PDA

View Full Version : Smell of petrol when driving

Mazz
17-06-10, 11:17 AM
Tina's car (E16SE) sometimes has a strong smell of petrol when driving. There's no leaks (already fixed that!) and it doesn't matter if the the tank is full/half/nearly empty.

Are there any breathers that can get blocked and cause this?

Thanks..

craig green
17-06-10, 11:20 AM
yeah the breather pipe, its probably kinked where it exits the tank, sandwiched against the floor pan. the genuine pipe has a 90deg moulded into it, if you are using reg fuel pipe, use a copper plumbing 90deg to angle it.

Mazz
17-06-10, 11:24 AM
Thanks Craig, is the breather on the back of the tank facing towards the axle?

craig green
17-06-10, 11:29 AM
pass. I think it's on the fr edge facing up. Follow the breather off the filler neck (through the chassis leg) to the tank.
Mine was kinked last year at nats, I managed to fix it without removing the tank. Did it on a 4-poster ramp however. Just loosen the tank straps & drop the tank down.

My 1.2 was stinking of fuel when we went to nats this year. It was the most fuel I've had in her, but it hasnt smelt since, so I must have a similar isue. But I can get fuel in no probs, wheras the GSi could only swallow 5 litres or so with that problem.

Check all the breather pipes are OK ie no perishing or holes whilst you are there.

Mazz
17-06-10, 11:32 AM
Fanks :)

Nova_Tek
17-06-10, 11:53 AM
That or the fuel rail rubber hoses. They are normally hard to see/get at and can leak.