PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 SR Timing belt tension

muzzy
16-06-10, 10:21 PM
Just took my timing belt off to check an oil leak behind it, tried to put it back on and it won't tension up properly, it is fine at the water pump & tensioner side but the side between the cam pulley and crank pulley is really slack.

Not sure what the problem is, nothing other than the belt and tensioner were removed and it is the same belt and tensioner that were fitted previously.

George g
16-06-10, 10:29 PM
The only place to tension the belt is with the water pump. Have you held the belt tight round the cam & crank pulleys first, then slide.it over the water pump? How are you testing the tension?

muzzy
16-06-10, 10:32 PM
My engine has a separate tensioner other than the water pump. I checked tension by turning the belt with my fingers between cam and crank pulley's and you can turn it about 180 degree's. I thought about trying to move the water pump to see if I could get some extra tension with that but I don't know how long it has been on and how easy it will be to move.

AlexW
16-06-10, 10:34 PM
The pump should have a mark on it, it shouldnt need to be moved.

muzzy
16-06-10, 10:38 PM
The pump hasn't even been looked at so it is as it was when the belt was previously fitted. I don't normally have any issue's re-fitting a belt after I've taken it off, it will get more tension when you turn the engine over to a certain point but then will lose it again once you move it round further.