PDA

View Full Version : Fitting new Radio Problems

RossRog
16-06-10, 09:11 AM
When i got my nova it had no sort of radio. there was one there at one time but it has long gone,

its a mark 1 nova, i am used to simple block connectors to make it simple a friend of mine had an mk1 SR that had block connectors

i have got the speaker wire...earth an a live....

what's best for me to do to get a radio....it is hell!!

Many thanks!

Jack
16-06-10, 09:34 AM
Your best option is just to run fresh wiring. All you need is a (fused) live from the battery, an earth (there's plenty of earth points behind the dash), then whatever ancilliaries the radio requires (speakers, aerial, remote for amp etc).

RossRog
16-06-10, 09:39 AM
Thank you, Sounds quite simple to be fair...

i Would't need to take the dash out would i?

Graeme
16-06-10, 10:16 AM
Thank you, Sounds quite simple to be fair...

i Would't need to take the dash out would i?

I'd say you were doing something wrong if you have to take the dash out, there are plenty of places to run these cables, just watchout for the moving bits like steering column and pedals

RossRog
16-06-10, 10:18 AM
i was just making sure i don't have to...

thanks all the same :)

Stuart
16-06-10, 10:24 AM
you want fused perm live and a switched live, otherwise you might leave the stereo on and drain the battery lol

RossRog
16-06-10, 10:55 AM
Got alot to learn....an get some common sense!

When attaching to the back of the new radio it will have a block connector how would i get past the problem of my live..earth..speaker wire connection to them

Stuart
16-06-10, 11:07 AM
buy a 'car side' ISO connector and wire the car upto that... then when you get a new headunit it will plug into that

Jack
16-06-10, 11:12 AM
Or just lop the connector off :d

tbh I find the ignition live a PITA, I prefer to turn my radio on and off myself (i.e. by removing the faceplate) when leaving the car.

Stuart
16-06-10, 11:19 AM
Or just lop the connector off :d

tbh I find the ignition live a PITA, I prefer to turn my radio on and off myself (i.e. by removing the faceplate) when leaving the car.

nahh, faceplates are never to be taken off lol probalby why the crackheads opened my roof up for the £50 on a drugged up day on ebay headunit lol