PDA

View Full Version : C16xe firing on three troubles

Southie
14-06-10, 09:25 PM
Hi guys and gals, hopefully someone can help me.

So my C16xe has been running fine for 10 months without missing a beat but over the last few weeks it had been missing a little I.e firing on three. I've not used the car over the last week for being on holiday but came to take it for a drive last Wednesday and it was fine, drove to the shops and was fine, got back in the car to drive home and brrrrrrr brrrrrrr brrrrrr.

Sooo got home checked my plugs and number two was sooted up too hell so I gave it a clean and tried again but still the same.

Also took the plug out and attached it to the ht lead to see if it could be a sparking fault, cranked the car over and it's got a spark from the coil, ht lead side.

Now I don't have any compression testing things so I've got it booked into a garage tomorrow but they want me to drive it :(
I've got a feeling it could be a faulty injector due to the sooty plug or
it could be a bent valve or burnt exhaust valve.

Reason for all this is would I be safe in driving the car to the garage if I unplug the injector for that cylinder? If it's working I don't want to flood the bore with fuel.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks
David

Southie
15-06-10, 06:56 AM
No replys :roll:

Oh well taking it to the garage anyway.

AlexW
15-06-10, 07:51 AM
no need to worry about unburnt fuel. if its sooty, its working, just not well.

peester
15-06-10, 08:00 AM
check your hoses - i had a split hose very tricky to notice, but it upset the running on my x14xe.. I cant remember which one it was for me, but it had quite a right-angle kinky in it, from head to throttle area, and it was on the kink it had split..

Southie
15-06-10, 08:21 AM
no need to worry about unburnt fuel. if its sooty, its working, just not well.

I suspect it's been on its way out gradually by the looks of it.

check your hoses - i had a split hose very tricky to notice, but it upset the running on my x14xe.. I cant remember which one it was for me, but it had quite a right-angle kinky in it, from head to throttle area, and it was on the kink it had split.. I'm running the Mantzel setup so only have a couple of breather hoses which attach to the rocker which I've already had a check over.

Anyway I've drove the car down this morning and it ticked over at 1000 rpm and drove like a bag 'O' shiite :roll: but got it there even though it was still running on 3 cylinders, I'll just have to wait for the guys to have a look over it.

Thanks for the replys :)

burgo
15-06-10, 01:20 PM
if the plug is proper sooted up then the injector must be firing but there must be a problem somewhere as its clearly not burning properly, my first port of call would be a compression test but as you cant do this a tad stuck.

p.s. pm on route

Southie
15-06-10, 01:35 PM
Cheers Burgo, returned PM. ;)

I find out a 5 what's wrong with it, yet more money :roll: Oh how I love Novas lol

AlexW
15-06-10, 02:08 PM
Baby XE's are having a good week.

Pm also coming your way

Southie
15-06-10, 09:05 PM
Bolllocks headgasket :( I hope the heads not cracked but it didn't overheat so confident it should be okay.

matt_vaughan
15-06-10, 10:32 PM
Southie I think i've got the exact same problem with mine. Got all same issue lol, only mines a trusty little 1.2 8 valve and still working most of the time lol.

Southie
15-06-10, 10:39 PM
lol not got mate, I drove to the garage though with it still ticking over at 1000k and found out that it was running on two :cry: Thing was it drove pretty well and I love the sound when the engines knackered, who needs Imprezas lol

Are you sure yours ain't a snapped follower? Had that many a time on the 8 valves.