PDA

View Full Version : coil pack vs distributer

fastcar1cars
14-06-10, 08:59 PM
hi all
i have jus brought a c20xe engine which has previosly been converted to coil pack!
Its goin into a nova with a knocking engine which has a early c20xe setup with distributer, chipped ecu and no lambda sensor so what would be best to do?
-convert new engine back to original distrbuter setup
-use new engine as
-use blue injectors and distibuter setup
help!!!!

nova_saloon
14-06-10, 09:03 PM
use coil pack. more reliable.

fastcar1cars
14-06-10, 09:05 PM
what about mot time if i use an engine with an lambda sensor wont i need a cat? nova's a k reg??

Plug
14-06-10, 09:07 PM
no cat will be needed if the car is pre 93 iirc

nova_saloon
14-06-10, 09:07 PM
well i never had a cat on mine. mines G reg though. but usually M.O.T guys let it go because they do like that engine in a nova because its funny. so they may just pass it. if not, its not hard to convert all back over, the hardest bit will be changing the manifold and putting the cam in. which isnt hard

fastcar1cars
14-06-10, 09:34 PM
what other benefits are there from each setup??
mpg, bhp??

Danny s-p
14-06-10, 09:45 PM
no cat will be needed if the car is pre 93 iircpre 1/08/92 :thumb: all so if engine is made befor then and you can prove it you don't need a cat

fastcar1cars
14-06-10, 09:50 PM
use coil pack. more reliable.

isnt a dizzy more servicable though??

nova_saloon
14-06-10, 10:01 PM
yeh cheaper to service, if the rotor arm and cap goes from wear and tear its a cheapish fix, but if the whole thing goes which they do, usually cause of the hall effect switch, then its expensive. a coil pack doesnt go at all that often and they are around £60 to replace and it will last another 20 years or so. so not really a worry. well maybe 20 years never had one go yet

fastcar1cars
14-06-10, 10:18 PM
yeah true!
What about mpg and bhp and gains or losses?

fastcar1cars
15-06-10, 07:08 AM
any more info?

craig green
15-06-10, 05:16 PM
The later coilpack XE's with inlet temp sensor run better in hot engine bays/climates & cope better with induction kits.

Its all much of a muchness. See which loom will wire into your car easiest. Prolly the existing one as its already in there. The looms may be different & you might be confused by some of the extra plugs, so it possibly makes sense to convert the new engine to run the old loom & dizzy etc.

Bubba
15-06-10, 05:22 PM
we just done a late XE into a cav which had an X20XEV in it....can we get it to spark...can we hell!

fastcar1cars
15-06-10, 05:59 PM
So no perfomance gain to be had or mpg?
Should i run blue injectors with the dizzy?

Rich
15-06-10, 06:14 PM
i prefer dizzy engines, mainly because ive had 2 coilpack engines to deal with and both were a pain in the ****.

Only fault ive had with dizzy engines were headgasket and o2 sensors. but early ones dont have an o2 sensor anyway

edit* i put blue injectors in my astra gte which had fast road piper cams, with 3 bar reg felt a difference with blues smoother through the revs. But may have had dodgey creams. make sure you use a 3 bar regulator if you do

craig green
15-06-10, 06:23 PM
Dont mess about swapping the injectors. Keep it as it should be, but as pointed out, be sure they are clean.

Mike
15-06-10, 06:39 PM
i prefer dizzy engines, mainly because ive had 2 coilpack engines to deal with and both were a pain in the ****.

Only fault ive had with dizzy engines were headgasket and o2 sensors. but early ones dont have an o2 sensor anyway

edit* i put blue injectors in my astra gte which had fast road piper cams, with 3 bar reg felt a difference with blues smoother through the revs. But may have had dodgey creams. make sure you use a 3 bar regulator if you do

You can alter torque curves on distributor engines aswell :) by advance/retard.