PDA

View Full Version : Why are my feet wet? Ah...:(

L14MNP
14-06-10, 01:43 PM
So yesterday I fitted x2 Omega electric fans to the Volvo's radiator.

Lined them up and bolted them through the fins, taking car not to go through the core obviously. It seems that the core has still been damaged though :/

One of the holes began weeping before fitting the fans so I thought I may have just say nicked the core when making the hole. This morning though the header tank was empty, and once refilled it was p!ssing out!

Typically I had an interview to attend and the journey there and back resulted in more water stops than would be needed for a steam train!

Click vid to see the extent.

I had was refilling the header tank and didn't notice it overflowing, so that is why it's flying out towards the wheel area (rusty bit on valance)
Click for vid (http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac157/itsallac0nspiracy/Dusty%20Drifter/Vids/?action=view&current=MOV00144.mp4)

The extent of the damage is nuts. Could it be as the rad was old (but in very very good condition) that the core has become brittle and when I have pushed holes through the fins it has split?

I will investigate it shortly, when I CBA! :wtf:

Iain
14-06-10, 01:45 PM
Five bottles of Radweld may fix it?

Sloth
14-06-10, 01:46 PM
new rad mate. id put money on it being old and brittle. or get it recored?

draper
14-06-10, 01:46 PM
boiled egg FTW

L14MNP
14-06-10, 01:47 PM
Forgot to say I cracked an egg into the tank and used this other crap called Kseal iirc. Is meant to be 10 times better than rad weld. It was certainly ten times the price. It seemed to get a bit better coming home (fewer stops after a while).

It's fudged though, no doubt!

L14MNP
14-06-10, 01:48 PM
new rad mate. id put money on it being old and brittle. or get it recored?

I do need a new one like. I wouldn't have attached them if I thought it was gonna do this. Like I say, it was A1 before. :roll: lol

Will ring around and see what can be done once I've whipped it off the car and know where/how badly it's leaking.

Cheers lads. :thumb:

Nova_Tek
14-06-10, 01:51 PM
Try Northern Radiators online, they did my Nova GTE Rad brand new and delivered for £37. Or go try eBay. Have had 2 Cav SRi rads for 20 - 25 each brand new.

L14MNP
14-06-10, 01:57 PM
There's not much on eBay atm mate. Always the way.

Good job I have had so much water available today cos I fetl like burning the thing!

Sloth
14-06-10, 02:20 PM
is the rad the same as any other old ovlov?

L14MNP
14-06-10, 02:35 PM
I think it may be the same as the 1700 340 but AFAIK (been told) that's about it.

When I have another vehicle at my disposal I may head to the lockup and dig out a P11 one and see how close it is.

mowgli
14-06-10, 02:38 PM
chemical metal to the rescue??

draper
14-06-10, 02:41 PM
I think it may be the same as the 1700 340 but AFAIK (been told) that's about it.

When I have another vehicle at my disposal I may head to the lockup and dig out a P11 one and see how close it is.

you do have the most random parts kicking about :p

L14MNP
15-06-10, 10:46 PM
chemical metal to the rescue??

This.

Well JB Weld.
Here's the fella that caused all the trouble. Surrounding fins removed to allow access for repair.
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac157/itsallac0nspiracy/Dusty%20Drifter/DSC00158-1.jpg

I had punctured the second core when I stuck the bradall tool through the fins. Seems that's what you get for not removing the bumper!
I was very surprised that one hole can cause a mobile Niagra Falls though!

I leak tested it after the JB had dried and it's all fine. Been on a run in the car too. Not a drop. :)

I don't expect it (or my water pump) to last that long now though really.
Still, was cost free. :)

Fans on (properly) lol GM parts FTW. :thumb:
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac157/itsallac0nspiracy/Dusty%20Drifter/DSC00166-1.jpg

Connor
16-06-10, 01:15 PM
Fans look smart limp :thumb:

L14MNP
16-06-10, 02:13 PM
Cheers matey. :) They were the closest OEM (cheap lol) design I could find which was symmetrical and slightly resembled Kenlowe/Spal fans after a bit of surgery. lol

I'm happy enough.:thumb: