PDA

View Full Version : Nova rear strut braces

Jonlem
13-06-10, 11:54 PM
After looking at a LOT of cars that had them fitted today I was kind of shocked at the amount that have them held in by the tops of the dampers lol

Effective....not

burgo
14-06-10, 12:06 AM
thats down to the majority of people not knowing how to use anything more than a spanner, hence the term 'bolt on' mods

Jonlem
14-06-10, 12:13 AM
Ah thats a fair point then !

I can't believe people even sell that 5hit

burgo
14-06-10, 12:18 AM
why wouldnt you if people are buying them though? i know they do nothing but that wouldnt stop me selling one

nova_saloon
14-06-10, 12:49 AM
its true cheap to make, all it is, is a pole two L piece's either side and a hole drilled either end to fit it on. if most people step outside the bolt on part which is why they sell, and hear weld on they go urrrghh! and dont want to tackle it

Jonlem
14-06-10, 10:05 AM
Why weld one on ?

The MPS brace atleast fastens in a half sensible way even if it is alloy, 4 bolts and you can easily supply some instructions as I'm sure they do.

Mike
14-06-10, 10:10 AM
Why weld one on ?

Why not?

I wouldnt pay like £100 for a shiny alloy rear brace when I could buy/fit a weld in one for about £20 :wtf:

Jonlem
14-06-10, 12:07 PM
Because were talking about people who don't have the tools ? just about everyone has a M8 drill bit which is all that should be required to fit a brace as you would expect it to be supplied with nuts and bolts.

I wasn't saying I approve of the MPS one, I just meant the fitment is atleast correct.

MattBrown
14-06-10, 12:10 PM
The best is the harnesses, strapped to the brace accross the shock tops.

Through the windscreen FTW lol

Jonlem
14-06-10, 12:14 PM
Yes that is even worse !

Fair enough if its welded in but I wouldn't be putting the harnesses on that bar even if it was bolted in !

Benn
14-06-10, 12:25 PM
I've been moaning at people for years for them.. I always say either get a bolt in one that bolts to the turrets or get a weld in one.

Does amaze me that people think it will work.. They sit on rubber end.. Hows it gonna do anything.

Nova_Tek
14-06-10, 12:37 PM
Velcro FTW lol

Jonlem
14-06-10, 12:37 PM
If you were going to buy a strut brace ( one that fits correctly and would be suitable for coilovered cars ) what would you expect to pay.

It could be weld in or bolt in

Who actually makes them at the moment ?

Stuart
14-06-10, 12:39 PM
weld in, erm erm erm What does a Meter of 25-30mm steel tube cost and a couple of 50*50mm steel plates cost? lol

Jonlem
14-06-10, 12:42 PM
Come on Stuart, its got to be made from something exotic, have a rose joint at each end be bolted in with Titanium fasteners.

Weld in ones are fine but doesn't suit everyone which is why I was curious if anyone sells a steel version of the MPS one ?

Atleast if its welded in you can then use it as a harness bar which I do agree is useful

Mike
14-06-10, 12:43 PM
Because were talking about people who don't have the tools ? just about everyone has a M8 drill bit which is all that should be required to fit a brace as you would expect it to be supplied with nuts and bolts.

I wasn't saying I approve of the MPS one, I just meant the fitment is atleast correct.

Oooh I see lol

Mike
14-06-10, 12:45 PM
weld in, erm erm erm What does a Meter of 25-30mm steel tube cost and a couple of 50*50mm steel plates cost? lol

38mm dia seamless steel tube, 3mm thick wall is about £18 a meter. 940ish mm lenght you need for a Nova.

mowgli
14-06-10, 12:48 PM
i did put a thread in 18+ a couple of years ago, and someone said that the rear strut brace was particularly useful for your partner to hold onto when taking them from behind......... apart from that, i can see no use for one, unless as part of a roll cage, and i also think that harnesses aren't going to be much use unless linked into a roll cage setup too.

mowgli
14-06-10, 12:48 PM
38mm dia seamless steel tube, 3mm thick wall is about £18. 940ish mm lenght you need for a Nova.

so you've stopped tatting scaffolding then....:thumb:

Jonlem
14-06-10, 12:54 PM
Oooh I see lol

I don't get it lol

Jonlem
14-06-10, 12:55 PM
i did put a thread in 18+ a couple of years ago, and someone said that the rear strut brace was particularly useful for your partner to hold onto when taking them from behind......... apart from that, i can see no use for one, unless as part of a roll cage, and i also think that harnesses aren't going to be much use unless linked into a roll cage setup too.

On a car running rear coilovers I can see a reason to have one, otherwise its just a pointless add on, but lets face it the boy racer community thrive on having bolt on pointless items