PDA

View Full Version : Brake pedal travel - How much is normal?

AlexW
13-06-10, 01:19 AM
Yeah, even a gayer like me has to ask some dumb questions sometimes

been so long since my nova has been together and working, how much movement is there usually in the pedal before the brakes bite?

Mine run GSI brakes for the time being, and there is a good couple of inchs before the brakes bite, scary stuff imo.

Im thinking the MC might be funked. Help me!

nova_saloon
13-06-10, 01:35 AM
there usually is a lot of travel in them, but bleeding the system again might help make sure you do the whole team effort thing were someone shouts... Open, then the other person shouts open, then you push down and then say down adn the other person shouts close and then you lift then you scream up and so on. and listen for any air leaks from the vacuum hoses. otherwise if none of this helps try the MC

AlexW
13-06-10, 01:39 AM
Im planning on giving them another shot, but for the moment, i need to get it running again.

Il have to have a play with it tomorrow, and work out exactly how much movement there is.

nova_saloon
13-06-10, 01:42 AM
may just need a good bleed then. just got to get it right otherwise air gets in the system and that makes the pedal travel far!

AlexW
13-06-10, 01:42 AM
Yeah i know.

dave beety
16-06-10, 11:12 PM
i no it sounds silly but when i put my 2.0L ones on i put them upside down lol

AlexW
16-06-10, 11:13 PM
These are up the right way, heard the upside down thing too many times. Brakes are fitted fine as they were fine on the corsa i took them off and i used the complete hub setup.

mowgli
16-06-10, 11:18 PM
And have you cleaned, copper slipped the mechs, and readjusted the rear brakes??? if not, then you are pissing in the wind.

AlexW
16-06-10, 11:19 PM
Been so long since i have properly played with the brakes, but iirc the rears would lock up (on gravel), but the handbrake dont work, no effort at all.

mowgli
16-06-10, 11:22 PM
Been so long since i have properly played with the brakes, but iirc the rears would lock up (on gravel), but the handbrake dont work, no effort at all.

i take it you have drums...

what happens is the slack in the rear brakes causes more fluid to go ti the rear end, and the rears lock first.

you need to sort the back end out first. once the rear foot brake is fine, then adjust the handbrake

AlexW
16-06-10, 11:30 PM
How do i do that tho, the rear adjusters have been free'd off.

mowgli
17-06-10, 08:07 AM
you need to make sure there isn't a lip on the drums, the you adjust the 'self' adjusters up till the drum only just moves freely. on my old one, i actually drilled adjustment holes into the drum face, so i could adjust them up without a total strip down, then i needed a small allen key to hold the pawl out & a small screwdriver to tweak the adjuster round.