PDA

View Full Version : Help Xe overfueling not pulling properly

Jamie D
12-06-10, 12:52 AM
Just wonderd if anyone could help with my overfueling issue. i had an emissions test and the co was 6.05% and it needs to be 3.50% or lower. my xe is out of an old astra gte withe the coscast head, it has sbd vernierpullys dont know what cams are in it and blue injectors, but i think it may need the timeing setting as it struggles to start at times and outher times it starts with the flick of a key :tard: could this be were my problem lies? it also doesnt seem to have the power that it should through the high rev range especially. im guessing due to the overfuelingany. any help would be greatly appreciated THANKS Jamie :thumb:

Steve0011
12-06-10, 01:13 AM
i had a problem with a nova a few years back, the co should have been 0.3 or somthing like that but it was 24.0

it turned out to be the little temp sender on the inlet manifold the one with the single wire going to it

nova_saloon
12-06-10, 01:16 AM
lambda sensor, Air flow meter, check them, also just check the timing marks all line up properly. also make sure all the spark plugs are firing and correct gaps. if all that fails, try a compression test. failing that, check for any air leaks after the Air flow meter, if that doesnt work try changing the injectors. if they are the blue ones and running the incorrect pressure at the rail may not help. when did it happen. or have you just stuck the engine in and this is your first run with it!

nova_saloon
12-06-10, 01:18 AM

it turned out to be the little temp sender on the inlet manifold the one with the single wire going to it
that shouldnt effect emissions, that just tells the gauage that the water is getting hot. plus there isnt one on the XE inlet manifold. its on the front next to the exhaust manifold in the thermostat houseing

Jamie D
12-06-10, 01:33 AM
had the car just over a year the engine was already fitted, just put up with it though as its just been sort of a work horse and a very bad one at that as its a track slag lol but now ive had enuff of the poor performance as i plan on attending a few track days ect this year so want it setup nice, i dont have a clue why ive left it so long :roll:

Steve0011
12-06-10, 01:34 AM
did'nt know if the XE had one or not :O

and yes it was that (1.2 singlepoint) my mate was doing the MOT tryed everything but no joy, change the sensor (more out of desparation than anything) and passed with flying colours.

Jamie D
12-06-10, 02:01 AM
thanks for the info :thumb: will give it all a check in the morn ;)

Andy
12-06-10, 07:20 AM
A dizzy xe should have cream injectors,the dispak has blue.

mayhem
12-06-10, 10:55 AM
the temp sensor can cause fueling problems, even without a fault code.

it's about 7 quid from vaux.

there are blue ones and black ones, iirc only astra mk3 uses the black version.

Jamie D
12-06-10, 11:30 AM
A dizzy xe should have cream injectors,the dispak has blue.

i thought the injectors where wrong andy, do the blue send more fuel?

the temp sensor can cause fueling problems, even without a fault code.

it's about 7 quid from vaux.

there are blue ones and black ones, iirc only astra mk3 uses the black version.

will order one of them, read a few post were this has been the culprit :) :thumb:

let_nova
12-06-10, 11:32 AM
was just going to say about injectors being wrong!

nova_saloon
12-06-10, 02:12 PM
ive got cream injectors if you want them, work fine, just taken them out. as breaking an engine, P.M me!

Jamie D
12-06-10, 03:07 PM
right ive checked my lambada and it isnt connected up it seems its on the exhaust put the connections seem differant ive took some pics does the lambada have to be connected up given its an early engine?? i took some pics

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j182/JamieD_Photos/SP_A0461.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j182/JamieD_Photos/SP_A0463.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j182/JamieD_Photos/SP_A0462.jpg

Steve0011
12-06-10, 04:40 PM
the brown item in the first pic is your octane rating plug not the lambda. the second green connector looks like the one that goes to the map sensor

comptoncj
12-06-10, 04:54 PM
xe doesnt have a map sensor bud. but that will be your problem if the lambda isn't connected it will overfuel like crazy and hold back.

Steve0011
12-06-10, 04:59 PM
xe doesnt have a map sensor bud. but that will be your problem if the lambda isn't connected it will overfuel like crazy and hold back.

only said it looked like lol

Jamie D
12-06-10, 05:47 PM
the last pic is deffo the lambda as i followed it down to the exhaust :) soo.. were is the lambda connector located then on the loom?? :d i will finaly be able to feel some power hopefully once connected lol.

let_nova
12-06-10, 06:33 PM
if your stuck for a lambda loom pm me.

plug should come from ecu direction.

Jamie D
12-06-10, 06:42 PM
if your stuck for a lambda loom pm me.

plug should come from ecu direction.

ok just had a good luck around the loom and the lambda connection isnt present i dont think. The only plug not connected to anything is this one inside the car is a 4 pin male here's a pic :confused:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j182/JamieD_Photos/SP_A0464.jpg

let_nova
12-06-10, 06:56 PM
na.... what age is engine?

Jamie D
12-06-10, 07:05 PM
engine was already fitted when i bought the car. been told its out of an old astra gte though if that helps :)

Jamie D
12-06-10, 07:11 PM
a few pics of the engine

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j182/JamieD_Photos/SAM_1147.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j182/JamieD_Photos/SAM_1148.jpg

let_nova
12-06-10, 07:15 PM
open the oilcap. look onto the top of the cam cap there will be a number like (90)

Jamie D
12-06-10, 07:33 PM
it just says (RA) (4) 17 GM 3 :confused:

let_nova
12-06-10, 07:40 PM
should be a circle with 2 numbers stamped.

Jamie D
12-06-10, 07:52 PM
:( only numbers on the cam cap are the ones stated above. is there anywere else i can check?

let_nova
12-06-10, 07:56 PM
can you get a pic of the cam cap?

let_nova
12-06-10, 07:56 PM
if its from a astra gte.... would it not be non lambda?

Jamie D
12-06-10, 08:02 PM
cant get focus with my camera :( thats what i was thinkin, i asked that on page 2 above the pics if it even needs to be connected as it an early xe :)

let_nova
12-06-10, 08:12 PM
hmm...

let_nova
12-06-10, 08:12 PM
change the injectors.

Jamie D
12-06-10, 08:16 PM
will try that then the timeing, would it not be the timeing as it sometimes starts first time and outhers can take 5 or 6 turns or could that be due to the blue injectors over fueling?

let_nova
12-06-10, 08:21 PM
check timing marks line up. but first put the correct injectors in.

Jamie D
12-06-10, 08:30 PM
thanks for your help will get back to you once ive discoverd the problem :thumb:

Jon_nova1
13-06-10, 07:49 AM
By the way the plug for the lambda won't be right at the end of the loom near the ECU, it will be between the ECU and where the loom branches out in the engine bay, but i'd guessed since its never been connected its not there, the engine should still run adequately without it though

Graeme
13-06-10, 08:24 AM
I'd personally change to a good set of cream injectors and change the blue temp sensor in the themostat housing

Jamie D
13-06-10, 12:53 PM
I'd personally change to a good set of cream injectors and change the blue temp sensor in the themostat housing ok ive taken the temp sender out, it looks fairly new to be honest look http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j182/JamieD_Photos/SP_A0472.jpg but if it's faulty im guessing it wouldnt matter how new it looked lol will get that changed first then i shall see if that does the trick :)

Jamie D
13-06-10, 01:28 PM
also this doesnt have a connector going to it or is this nothing to worry about :confused:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j182/JamieD_Photos/SP_A0473.jpg

Jamie D
13-06-10, 11:25 PM
ok i looked in a box that i got with the car, it has a few spare ecu's ect and a loom that was taken off the car by the previouse owner, as he said it had a fault (misfire). now on that loom it has the correct lambda conector that fits the one on the car and also had a gx ecu with astra gsi writen on the back, so im guessing it use to be runing the lambda. so if the car just has the coscast head fitted and a late bottom end would i need the lambda connected up? and if so is there anyway of doing so with the early loom?? also is there a way to tell if the bottom end is of a later spec?

nova_saloon
13-06-10, 11:58 PM
the block number will tell you whether the bottom end is a later type, and the ecu tell you wether its an earlier type. depending on the ECU code on the sticker, its it start with G its usually earlier. but depending on the ecu depends on wether you run a lambda, but most of them do run a lambda sensor. and you keep it connected up if it requires one regardless of later or early type if the ecu requires it fuel mixture... still want the injectors?

Jamie D
17-06-10, 11:38 AM
ok update on my problem. Ive changed the blue temp sensor with no luck, its still not starting properly and still overfueling :cry: Ive been around the vacume pipes with wd40 and they seem fine. i havent checked timeing yet as i dont know how too :roll: it has no timeing marks i dont think. im a novice when it comes to timeing, as i havent realy had a proper look into it. I will have to have a read up about it though. I thought ide have a look into the wireing and this caught my eye. I dont know if its wired up correctly as there are 2 wires not connected up, theres a green one and a blue one with a small red line going threw it. took a few pics.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j182/JamieD_Photos/SP_A0479-1.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j182/JamieD_Photos/SP_A0476.jpg

nova saloon im going to leave the injectors till last just going to go threw the basics first dude ;) so may be haveing them off you we shall see :thumb:

Jamie D
17-06-10, 06:22 PM
btt

let_nova
17-06-10, 07:25 PM
injectors is the forst thing i would change.

Jamie D
17-06-10, 10:11 PM
yeah been reading up on injectors, faulty injectors can cause bad starting, hesitation, ruff idleing and overfueling which is all the symptoms i have :) also been reading up about spark plugs, which i found they were full of carbon deposits all black and also a bit of black smoke is coming out the exhaust when i blip the throttle. which also points to overfueling :( ok one question, if i buy the cream injectors off nova saloon, will they be ok runing off my current fuel regulator as its a 3 bar one and i think the creams run at 2.5? thanks for the help guys anway appreciate it :thumb:

let_nova
17-06-10, 10:39 PM
adjustable pressure reg?

Jamie D
17-06-10, 10:49 PM
no its a standard one dude :)

lewisvalver
17-06-10, 10:57 PM
ive had a similar problem,i just changed my fpr to an adjustable one and its made a big difference already!! im also going to replace my injectors incase there faulty so if anyone has cream ones can they PM me please