PDA

View Full Version : Xe Oil Pressure switch blown out of block

Andy
11-06-10, 08:52 PM
20 Xe btw.Just going to fill my car with fuel,overtook a car and suddenly in formula one style there is a massive cloud of smoke in my rear view mirror.This quickly makes an appearance through the vents.I at this point had no idea whats happened as i still have power,turned round to head the 2miles back home,it quickly becomes apparent that im losing oil fast as it starts tapping like buggery.Cut out twice,then started again but sounded really lethargic when turning over.Got home to see the oil everywhere and the oil pressure switch dangling behind the block with the wires still attached.
Questions are-Why would this happen?? Have i most likely caused terminal damage driving it home? (i had no choice as was in a dangerous place)
To say im devastated is pretty much an understatement,ive spent hours of my time building this car for tommorow and this happens:mad: :cry:
Still could be worse,could have happened on the way there/back
Any help/advice is always appreciated:thumb:

Tristian101
11-06-10, 09:06 PM
my approach would be fit the switch back in, fill back up and go for a close drive, see what the engine is like. then go from there

Nova_Tek
11-06-10, 09:08 PM
It worked itself loose?

Are the screw threads in the block and the switch intact or damaged?

Didn't your oil pressure light come on when that happened?

No offense, but dude smoke bellowing out of the back of my car and into the cabin would stop me even if I was in ghetto town and it was drive by day.

AlexW
11-06-10, 09:09 PM
You need to check it out, have the threads come with the sender? or have the threads stripped off the switch?

I dont think your be able to sort it quickly though, unless the sensor wasnt screwed in tight. I can understand how gutted you are, with PVS :(

Uhh slightly to slow

Sloth
11-06-10, 09:11 PM
refit, and refill and cross everything. and i know its been said but shoulda keyed off instantly.

Mazz
11-06-10, 09:11 PM
As above, stick your finger in the hole (ahem) and feel if theres any thread left, check the switch thread too - if all's ok - slap it back on with a drop of lock-tight maybe too

Andy
11-06-10, 09:12 PM
Oil pressure light didnt come on.
Didnt know what was happening till i was almost home it started tapping.Not looked properly but block seems threaded,dunno if thats just happened or if it was like it before.I'll be going to pvs in my Astra :(
Probably my own fault for driving it like that but what can you do on a country lane with nowhere safe to stop that isnt far from home

Mazz
11-06-10, 09:13 PM
:cry:

Nova_Tek
11-06-10, 09:14 PM
If it's been threaded then maybe it was cross threaded when it was refit into the block and just happened to let go at that point when you exercised your right foot.

Sh*t happens dude, hope you can get it sorted though.

blue_peg_16v
11-06-10, 09:14 PM
like said check the threads if there as they should be put it back in tight this time and fill it with oil and cross you fingures give it a litte run and see how she is if alls ok nail her ass to pv lol

Andy
11-06-10, 09:15 PM
Cant tighten it,it goes hand tight then goes slack,the blocks definately threaded for sure.
Just hope it hasnt fukked owt else.

blue_peg_16v
11-06-10, 09:16 PM
get the die set out dont be a poof and go in the astra lol

blue_peg_16v
11-06-10, 09:17 PM
Cant tighten it,it goes hand tight then goes slack,the blocks definately threaded for sure.
Just hope it hasnt fukked owt else.

excuse to build it into a let if it has lol

Andy
11-06-10, 09:18 PM
excuse to build it into a let if it has lol
Great minds think alike Rich as thats the plan if its fukked;)

blue_peg_16v
11-06-10, 09:20 PM
a breakage is an excuse to upgrade lol

my xe faild mot on emisions carbs were out of balance so rather than turn a screw it was an excuse to fit the let that was sat in the garage for the gte lol

mowgli
11-06-10, 09:27 PM
Oil pressure light didnt come on.
Didnt know what was happening till i was almost home it started tapping.Not looked properly but block seems threaded,dunno if thats just happened or if it was like it before.I'll be going to pvs in my Astra :(
Probably my own fault for driving it like that but what can you do on a country lane with nowhere safe to stop that isnt far from home

the light didn't come on because the switch needs to be connected to the block to make a circuit.

if you are lucky, a new switch with some loctite will make it work ok. or try wrapping some ptfe tape round the switch threads. trying to find a thread die to match a taper thread is going to be very hard. maybe ask around a couple of hydraulic repair shops, they might have an adaptor that would wind in.

Andy
11-06-10, 09:32 PM
But why would it blow out in the 1st place? ,i thought high crankcase pressure has caused it??

AlexW
11-06-10, 09:39 PM
High pressure would usually blow something else out first, unless this was a weak point.

Andy
11-06-10, 09:40 PM
or because of previously been threaded and ptfe/siliconed in it has worked loose and blown out?

mowgli
11-06-10, 09:43 PM
the threads on the switch should usually be good for above 100psi, i'm guessing it was overtightened. you could try some fast acting epoxy resin, liquid metal type bodge, if you can get the metal bits clean, that stuff would stick anything together & hold it tight

Sloth
11-06-10, 09:44 PM
andy, get some chem metal, coat the threads in ti afther cleaning it all with brake cleaner and put it in, then heat gun it till it sets. job done.

Andy
11-06-10, 09:48 PM
I thought about chemical metal etc,its just the damage from running 4 mins/2 miles on tickover home with barely any oil that is the problem.
I mean i suppose the block could even be heli coiled?
Ive come to the decision that if the engine is terminal im stripping it and rebuilding a let into it.New stuff,not gear that has probably been to the sun and back like what i have now lol

AlexW
11-06-10, 09:50 PM
Id get some thicker oil, add a little too much lol

Sloth
11-06-10, 09:51 PM
dude, if you fire it up and its slightly rattley, put some 20w50 in it. drive this weekend and have done. im taking a solid tow bar so i can get you home if it dies totally.

mowgli
11-06-10, 09:52 PM
andy, it should be pretty well ok, if its still holding water, it should have survived, but only after you've filled it up & started it, will you find out.

Andy
11-06-10, 09:54 PM
I arent risking it Rob mate here is my options-Bolt up hoyle and fill wi oil on 789,000mile Xe engined Nova Orrrrrrrrr................2002 Astra 1800 SRi? Bearing in mind its a 400mile round trip!
Thanks for everyones input,youve made me feel better.(aswell as me cider)

Lee H
12-06-10, 09:00 AM
Why was it screwed into the block and where?

The oil pressure switch should screw into the oil pump on an XE/LET.

Rich
12-06-10, 06:12 PM

what i was thinking

You say theres thread in the block whats the thread like on the sensor? if its ripped out the oil pump you will probably find the thread attacted to the pressure switch.

Have you got access to a welder?

Damo
13-06-10, 12:52 PM

was just going to say this myself the switches in the pump andy.

Graeme
13-06-10, 01:05 PM

My thoughts exactly, I'd just change the oil pump or rebuild it into a good casing