PDA

View Full Version : opel manta question

dtm
05-05-03, 10:55 AM
howdy lads, is anyone else here interested in the manta?
im planning to buy one n restore it for about two years until i can afford the insurance. currently drivin me nova but id like a bit more space

if anyone else is interested n has info on them i would love it :lol:

few questions;
are they all rear wheel drive?
i think the smallest engine available is the 1.8i, true?
would i have to change the diff ect. to get arse action like a twin cam?
would a 1998 1.4 astra engine (or similar) fit (lower insurance) or am i dreaming?

cheers for yer help lads :D

techie
05-05-03, 12:18 PM
Yes they are all RWD.

Yes I think the smallest engine is the 1.8

The 1.4 Astra engine may fit with a bit of work but wouldnt move the Manta.

A LSD would help with arse out action.

Something worth considering, at GTE Manta would probably be eligable for classic car insurance, not 100% sure on it tho.

ade
05-05-03, 01:19 PM
Think theres a user called Mantamad whos on here a fair bit - hes a manta nutter if I recall!

Ade

Fester
05-05-03, 04:52 PM
the 1.8 as opposed to the 2.0 is apparantly the one to go for if you want to fit a valver.

i remember reading something on mig ages ago about it going onto the 1.8 gearbox etc

Stuart
05-05-03, 05:13 PM
yes the 1.8 gear box mates up to the 20xe properly.

you need a different sump too i think.

also if your everso skillful you can make a conversion that should cost around ?600 and take an afternoon, acctually take 2.5 years and cost ?3K and still not have it running right lol

and yes its still a std 20xe lump (appart from a K&N lol).

on the plus side you do have an engine bay that you can get in and work if its wet

and ive heard that getting a locking diff on a rwd car is severly bad news unless you know exactly how to drive it (ie ease off the throttle so you can accutally turn round corners)