PDA

View Full Version : Kent cam??????

mikesri
04-05-03, 01:14 PM
I had a kent cam put in my sri yesterday :D

Its a kent cam with vernior pulley.

It went in ok, we turned it over and it ran fine! :)

My m8 took it for a test drive, came back and it cut out :?

Turned it over again, it spluttered a bit then picked up to idle again! :)

We turned the throttle positioning sensor up a bit and now it doesn't cut out!! :D

If i let it idle for a couple of minutes then rev it slightly it idles very low then picks back up nearly cutting out :?

Is this normal for a cam? Can i get it running any smoother? How much extra fuel will it burn? I.e, i get 200miles to ?20 before so what will it be now?

Mike 8)

techie
04-05-03, 02:49 PM
Get ur car set up properly on a rolling road if you can and get the vernier adjusted properly.

If its a mild cam it shouldnt make that much difference idle quality, what duration is the cam?

locky
04-05-03, 02:54 PM
Dont u have 2 reset the ecu because its a mod 2 the engine? iv been informed that even if u fit an aftermarket filter its woth resetiing the ecu!!!!!
Just disconnect the battery for 1 hour, take the car for a drive, and itll reset with the new eqpt! it mite be cuttin out coz the ecu is reading the standard cam, and not compenating for the extra lift n duration!

dan16v
04-05-03, 03:30 PM
get efi to set it up, its obvious the vernier needs adjusting gav only ever set it up by ear!

mikeoxford
04-05-03, 10:45 PM
which jkent is it mate?

ast 2?

NOVAS RULE
05-05-03, 07:20 PM
reseting the ecu would help but yeah you need to get to a rooling road to get it set up, also have you got a uprated cambelt should help

CP
05-05-03, 09:47 PM
Lol! This sounds kinda familiar- I think me and Dan are having a deja vu experience :roll:

Set the vernier to 0 degrees if its an AST2 and Kent vernier as a ball park place to start for the cam timing- I think its sounds as if the ignition timing is a bit out...........

dan16v
06-05-03, 10:54 AM
lol when i had my lairy rally cam re-setting the ecu did nowt and i find it never does any thing! if something changes the ecu should pick it up straight away

Dan
06-05-03, 10:37 PM
you NEED a rolling road session :!: . get them to set the car up properly as it is almost impossible to get it spot on without. CP is reffering to a 285 piper cam we took out of mine and fitting a 296 kent (ast2) cam. Difference with mine was the car has recently been r/r and the settings are ok to see what the new cam is like and run around with, but i must still go again to fine tune my car for this application as more power will be available with the right fettling.