PDA

View Full Version : Removing bonnet catch

Jack
09-06-10, 02:59 PM
As in the long phallic spring on the bonnet itself. Is there an easy way to ditch this? Don't have a grinder to hand otherwise I'd just cut it off lol

Keeps jamming on my slam panel, so opening the bonnet is a two man affair (one to pull the release cable, the other to yank the bonnet). So I want to cut it off and have done with it. Got bonnet pins so security of the bonnet isn't a problem.

Mike
09-06-10, 03:06 PM
Unscrews out IIRC?

As in the entire spring/pointy shaped pin an release mech

GRUNT 16V
09-06-10, 03:07 PM
what part you on about jack the acttual bonnet pin or the safety catch?????

Mark
09-06-10, 04:09 PM
The spring with the big pin in the middle just screws in and out.

djbrowney
09-06-10, 04:30 PM
22 mm spanner ftw !!!

Stuart
09-06-10, 05:03 PM
FFS n00bie

Jack
09-06-10, 05:35 PM
I've been too busy bashing the bonnet (oo-er lol) with a hammer to look particularly closely at the pin lol

Will put a spanner on it then.

mayhem
09-06-10, 05:39 PM
FFS, it's bolted lol

Mike
09-06-10, 05:45 PM
Will put a spanner on it then.

Can you even buy spanners that far down south Jack? :p lol

Stuart
09-06-10, 05:47 PM
Can you even buy spanners that far down south Jack? :p lol

he will use his teeth

Mike
09-06-10, 05:50 PM
he will use his teeth

Om Nom lol

Spudly
09-06-10, 05:51 PM
Before you remove it Jack, undo it and let it go lose, it has a moving captive nut inside the bonnet skin so you can adjust its position, you should be able to get it sitting right by closing the bonnet to sit it in the hole and move it into the position it needs to be in, if it still worked with the back jacked right up then it should be easily solvable now its not as high at the back!

craig green
09-06-10, 06:15 PM
Before you remove it Jack, undo it and let it go lose, it has a moving captive nut inside the bonnet skin so you can adjust its position, you should be able to get it sitting right by closing the bonnet to sit it in the hole and move it into the position it needs to be in, if it still worked with the back jacked right up then it should be easily solvable now its not as high at the back!

common cement alert!! lol

I think Jack'll still ditch it as he has pins, though thinking about it they only protect against high speed openings, not chav-Jacking in Yeovil. lol