PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had experience with Red dot discs + pads??

XEjames
09-06-10, 01:46 PM
Hi all
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with red dot grooved discs + pads on track or road

Had a trackday yesterday in my xe nova
If in honest i felt the brakes after approx 2 laps were utter crap, pedal nice + hard in pit lane but after couple laps i was pushing pedal almost to the stop + was virtually doing nothing + i ended up having to brake rediculously early

I went out in a bog standard 2001 Integra type r + the brakes were awesome by comparison + he didnt get any fade etc

Cheers all
James

Nova-rich
09-06-10, 02:19 PM
If your using your car on the track first thing to do is change the fluid to 5.1 and braided hoses, as for reddot discs i have them on my Astra GTE with EBC red pads and they are really aggresive i had to fit a wilwood bias valve to regulate them. What brakes are you using? 2.0 16v or nova calipers?

Stuart
09-06-10, 02:22 PM
The feeling you had was boiled brake fluid.

If the pedal was still firm and you had no braking then that would have been the pads being too hot and fading.

The braking article is worth a read in the articles section :)

XEjames
10-06-10, 02:25 PM
its the 2.0 256mm setup on the car not the 236mm

I did originally think fluid is probably boiling untill i went out in a civic + an integra with normal dot4 fluid who were on track for longer periods of time + brakes were fine which slightly confused me

Ill run different fluid + see how it goes next time
Cheers

Sloth
10-06-10, 02:28 PM
demon tweeks sell racing brake fluid in the red catalouge.

Stuart
10-06-10, 02:37 PM
Your fluid may have been old, his might have been new.
He might ahve had better cooling to the brakes
His pads might be ceramic/non metallic based which keeps the heat in the pad and dosent transmitt that much into the caliper (carbon/metallic based pads dump heat into the caliper/fluid like there is no tomorrow)

There are many reasons why you will have killed your fluid and they didnt.
I'd try new cheap fluid (think off the shelf normal DOT4 or 5.1) and take kit to bleed the brakes to the next TD. I've found the fancy fluids dont last as long in terms of water absorbancy etc and they can cost shed loads more for minimal REAL gains.

I had ATE superblue dot 4 in the vx, it did the job ok but was £20 a litre. Never cooked it.
I now have normal Mintex 5.1 fluid in and it was 3L for £10 lol means you can change it atleast 6 times to match the superblue stuff, and tbh I've not cooked the 5.1 and I've been harder on it than I was with the blue.

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111295

although I have swayed to 5.1 from superblue in the fluid stakes lol

Sloth
10-06-10, 02:51 PM
toyota 5.1 is the same as the best "branded" stuff. cheap on ebay.

GRUNT 16V
10-06-10, 03:08 PM
5.1 I Wont Use Anything Else !!!! = Never Had A Prob!

Nova_Tek
10-06-10, 03:42 PM
I'd hazzard a guess at the fluid mate.

Not track experience, but we changed the fluid in my bros Cav SRi recently.

We originally fitted grooved and x-drilled discs and uprated pads front and rear. The braking was imporved but that feel sort of decreased after a while. We then changed the fluid to bog standard DOT4 but all new. The pedal feel improved over the olid fluid which god only knows how long it was in there for.

Is 5.1 worth using on the road?

Stuart
10-06-10, 03:51 PM
its geat if you have ABS as its thinner and is easier for the ABS to cope with (apparently)

plus its got a marginally higher boiling point + less hydroscopic iirc.

if you dont 'need' to change the fluid its not worth jumping to, put it like that.