PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 'ecotec' misfire/poor running

Stuart
09-06-10, 11:22 AM
Friend of mine has a 2.0 Veccy B and when in say 3rd or 4th gear acceletating it has an occaional misfire/holds back (approx 2-3.5K rpm)

He said it happens every 10-15 trips then goes away for 10-15 trips.

coilpack?
egr?
something else common?
no eml coming on.

Sloth
09-06-10, 11:48 AM
coilpack, crank or cam sensor. in that order.

Southie
09-06-10, 11:59 AM
Noticed the banstick got him Stuart lol

Nova_Tek
09-06-10, 12:15 PM
Yeah, he replied to my 'Pimp Your Mouse' thread after 8 months or so.

Anyway back on track,

How does the engine idle Stuart? A naff/dirty ICV can make things go crazy. My bro and his XEV recetly had a whole heap of runnning issue and power issues when his ICV got real bunged up. Threw up loads of ECU faults like MAF, Crank sensor as it would jerk and cut out, restart etc. It would kangeroo badly and sometime hold back.

We cleaned it up real good and it was right as rain.

Checked all the usuals like HT leads?

Otherwise what Rob said. Maybe worth flashing up some codes.

GRUNT 16V
09-06-10, 01:09 PM
If You Purchase A New Icv Then Buy The Breather Mod That Goes On The Front Right Of The Cam Cover

Stuart
09-06-10, 02:00 PM
seems to idle fine from what he said.

Peanut_119
09-06-10, 02:38 PM
i had this type of problem with my 2 litre ecotec cav, and i changed the cam and crank sensor, but in the end i got told to change my inlet gasket, i was totally confused about this but changed it anyway, and there was a tiny split in the gasket, once i changed it, it ran and reved up fine.

not certain about it bein the gasket but if all else fails just give it a try, mine was only £3.79

Dod
10-06-10, 01:18 PM
2.0 Ecotecs are notoriously shyte and always do this. Change every sensor in the bay and it'll still do it. Read the fault codes regardless of EML or lack of and it'll reset itself.

Nova_Tek
10-06-10, 01:21 PM
The main culpirt in all of rough running, kangerooing, hesitancy, EML light, holding backness etc is ICV, Crank, or Cam shaft sensor.

THose are the three main suspects.

mowgli
10-06-10, 02:00 PM
we had an omega that threw up a great many faults & problems intermittently. it was the cat.

craig green
10-06-10, 02:33 PM
we had an omega that threw up a great many faults & problems intermittently. it was the cat.

Did it uphills did it?

Cam sensors are notoriously suspect on these. The wiring to the sensors is the 1st port of call IMO. GM dont shield their looms too well from other stuff in the engine bays IMO.
He could leave it a bit longer to manifest itself as a massive flat spot & hesitancy, then it'll be easier to diagnose perhaps. lol

Sloth
10-06-10, 02:37 PM
foo-foo valve?:d

Stuart
10-06-10, 02:38 PM
indeed. how the hell will we know if its fixed as the fault clears after a key off lol

craig green
10-06-10, 02:51 PM
Has he thought about trading it in???????????

mowgli
10-06-10, 02:57 PM
Did it uphills did it?

Cam sensors are notoriously suspect on these. The wiring to the sensors is the 1st port of call IMO. GM dont shield their looms too well from other stuff in the engine bays IMO.
He could leave it a bit longer to manifest itself as a massive flat spot & hesitancy, then it'll be easier to diagnose perhaps. lol

ours was a legacy of main dealer warranty head replacement.. the intake came loose, and all the crap that it spat out the exhaust made the cat knacker up.. every day, there was a different code, and it took a stack of work to find it.

baxter is having tons of fun with a veccy & crap running & its to do with the abs sensor.......

Nova_Tek
10-06-10, 03:24 PM

Like I said before, the ICV on my bros XEV had bunged up real bad, was a right nightmare to drive and then we started getting EML come up. It gave us MAF, AFM, ICV & Cam sensor codes.

My bro already had the new modified wiring done to the cam sensor and changed the crank and cam sensors, relay and pump, as the previous year it died so many time on the road we couldn't get it home withou it being towed.

The cam wires were litterally haning on by a thread and were either earthing against the block or touching each other. Was throwing up all sorts of codes. Such a shame as the engine itself is a right gem. Pulls so well and likes to be revved.