PDA

View Full Version : Strange noise, timing related?

auzzy-b
08-06-10, 10:32 PM
Just reset the timing and now when I started it up there's a 'ting ting ting'! Please don't tell me it's a bent valve:(? I was carefull not to move the crank whilst the belt was off! But the car had been moved whilst it was sat waiting at the garage...

Nobby
08-06-10, 10:34 PM
doesnt sound good pal, did you spin it over x2 by hand before you started it? id wip it all off and check it and make sure its all right.

w88rdy
08-06-10, 10:37 PM
auzzy i timed mine up with the bottom pully mark and bent two valves lol

Nobody told me to take the pulley off and time it up with the marks behind it.

Take the pully off and re check the timing with the belt on you will soon find out if its off

Nobby
08-06-10, 10:41 PM

Nobody told me to take the pulley off and time it up with the marks behind it.

Take the pully off and re check the timing with the belt on you will soon find out if its off

lol i put my crank like that before i took my belt off and it wouldnt line up with the cams, so i put the cams to where they should be and the crank was 3/4 teeth out!!

w88rdy
08-06-10, 10:43 PM
lesson learnt here anyway lol

auzzy-b
08-06-10, 10:53 PM
doesnt sound good pal, did you spin it over x2 by hand before you started it? id wip it all off and check it and make sure its all right.
Yes I spun it by hand to check everything was tight and there was no slack in the belt!

auzzy-b
08-06-10, 10:56 PM
what kind of noise did it make w88rdy? Was it a thud or a tinging? I've also fitted a bonded baffle sump gasket but it was for a c20xe so I can't imagine the bottom end is catching it? I'm not sure..

w88rdy
08-06-10, 10:58 PM
hmm mine wouldnt budge mate tbh, ive heard of people bending tabs out of the way on some gaskets to stop them catching on the crank or something like that anyway??

auzzy-b
08-06-10, 11:10 PM
Orrrr no looks like the sumps coming off once again lol

djbrowney
08-06-10, 11:41 PM
hmm mine wouldnt budge mate tbh, ive heard of people bending tabs out of the way on some gaskets to stop them catching on the crank or something like that anyway??

what he said :thumb:

tab will be bent up or your alt belt is catching on the timing belt cover :thumb:

Will F
09-06-10, 08:24 AM
Orrrr no looks like the sumps coming off once again lol

To check valves? lol

So you didnt re-time it up? You just hoped it hadnt moved? Have I read that right!?

In which case it probably would have had some piston/valve love making

auzzy-b
09-06-10, 01:00 PM
well it turns out it was neither of the things mentioned was just low on oil and was tapping REALLY loud? but its fine now:)lol

General Baxter
09-06-10, 01:08 PM
screwdriver down number 1 FTW everytime