PDA

View Full Version : C20let

Huffy
08-06-10, 08:29 PM
Hello just a quick one ive been thinking alot lately about saving some cash and buying a c20let engine or a cavalier/calibra turbo are these hard to get ahold of now ??

Also so are they good value for money (C20LET) running costs and that. i have a c20xe nova thats coming to the end of the project i havent drove it yet so i have no idea how much fuel that will use

Any advice from any c20let owners or pre-owers would be most helpful :thumb:

Cheers Andy (Huffy) ;)

Nova_Tek
08-06-10, 09:30 PM
C20LET's are getting slightly harder to find but they are sourcable.

If you look after the engine properly and it's not been thrashed to within an inch of it's life then they are as reliable as any other engine. I have a mate with a Cally DTM Turbo and he's had no problems and it's been very reliable for him.

Running cost wise, again depends on your driving, lead right foot will mean fill up soon but seeing as you can get 40mpg in a Nova it's still very reasonable.

I'm going for a LET for my Nova project. I chose it as I wanted something which was gonna be fun to use, give me decent mpg (I'm not a racer 95% of the time), and out of all the 2 litres the LET was the most worth it as it's the best you can fit at that cc.

Most important thing is to find a good one to start off with or buy one that needs rebuliding. It's one way you'll get some sort of good reliability from it. This is why I haven't found one I like just yet.

vaughanmc
08-06-10, 09:31 PM
I thought I seen a LET in a Cav/Calibra on Pistonheads with box etc etc for £1200

Andy
08-06-10, 09:34 PM
What is it with everyones gheyness on fuel economy in XE/Let nova's??
If youre building a novver for economy use a 17td cav engine.If you want to go fast then xe/let it.
And look at it this way,they do 30 or so to the gallon in an Astra or cav/calibra so in a considerably lighter nova it will do more.Simple really.

MattBrown
08-06-10, 09:35 PM
Andy, I got my let for £600, on an f20 though.

Bear in mind its alot more money to put a let it.

Engine £1000
Box £300
Mounts £70
Equal shafts £200
Diff £500
Brakes £80

Tyres?
Hoses?
Rebuild?

Strengthening kit?

Nova_Tek
08-06-10, 09:42 PM
All those arent mandatory though like the equal shafts and what not. And where on earth did you get one for £600?

MattBrown
08-06-10, 09:43 PM
All those arent mandatory though. And where on earth did you get one for £600?

Engine average cost £1k
F28 - £250 - £300
Mounts £70
shafts and cv's (gte stuff) £100
Brakes £80
etc etc

is more the minimum requirements

lol your list mirrors mine lol

Nova_Tek
08-06-10, 09:46 PM
removed the diff and equal shaft setup as they're not mandatory ;)

Jackroadkill
08-06-10, 09:48 PM
Get an engine that's not in a Cav / Calibra - there are precious few original turbo examples of either of them left.

MattBrown
08-06-10, 10:05 PM
Get an engine that's not in a Cav / Calibra - there are precious few original turbo examples of either of them left.

Kill calibras:witch:

Jackroadkill
08-06-10, 10:15 PM
Kill calibras:witch:

Hahaha! Yup, I knew someone would say that!

MattBrown
08-06-10, 10:16 PM
Hahaha! Yup, I knew someone would say that!

My engines from a cav:(

Ahh well, lets hope that the engine lasts another 70klol

Jackroadkill
08-06-10, 10:24 PM
I suppose that what they say is true - that a Calibra is just a Cav in a silly dress.

MattBrown
08-06-10, 10:25 PM
I suppose that what they say is true - that a Calibra is just a Cav in a silly dress.

The heart still beats the same.

Cav is akin to a lovely skinny, big breasted 19 year old.

A cally is a 40 year old, slightly overweight mum of 3, with no prospectslol

Jackroadkill
08-06-10, 10:28 PM
Bloody insightful, that - have some rep.

Huffy
09-06-10, 08:52 PM
thanks for the feed back guys

Graeme
09-06-10, 09:02 PM
My advice would be to speak to Turbo Chris or Cemex, and definately get everything you need engine wise in one go, if your not in a rush they may even let you see the car running before they break it but I wouldn't be expecting any change out of £1200 for the pleasure but the only true way to find out of its got problems like taps and smoke, good to see the previous unfortunate events haven't detered you from building your car

steveboyslim
09-06-10, 10:12 PM
I have several engines for sale and also a complete calibra turb for breaking.

Steve

MattBrown
10-06-10, 09:25 AM
My advice would be to speak to Turbo Chris or Cemex, and definately get everything you need engine wise in one go, if your not in a rush they may even let you see the car running before they break it but I wouldn't be expecting any change out of £1200 for the pleasure but the only true way to find out of its got problems like taps and smoke, good to see the previous unfortunate events haven't detered you from building your car

Lob it in.

If mine is low on comp= wossner pistons.
Turbo seals = T4
Manifold cracked = Tubular manifold
Ticky = Solid lifters

And if im doing that, then rods, headwork, cam, etclol

Huffy
11-06-10, 08:24 PM

cheers for the advice fella i mite get chance to speak to you at a north west meet some time
:thumb: