PDA

View Full Version : ford help

grooge
08-06-10, 04:00 PM
dont know if anyone will know about this but thought it was worth a try.

basically i've got a sierra that had a carbed 2l dohc in it but i got given it with the engine out and in a thousand peices, some peices almost definitely missing.
rather than rebuild it i'm goin to just fire another engine in.
I'm struggling to find another twin cam but can get a 2l out of a mk5 cortina (pinto?) so think i'll go for this. What parts will I need to change on my car and what parts will I need from the cortina?

not really clued up and this will be my first engine conversion. If I get stuck my dads mate has said he can do it in a day for me showing me how its done but I want to try it myself first as I've heard it should be simple enough.

Nobby
08-06-10, 04:24 PM
the 2.0 dohc was efi mate, i would pressume the engine mounts are the same and yes i would stick the pinto in and run in on a carb nice and easy to fit and no ****ty sensors to go wrong the exhaust will probably need mating up aswell try www.turbosport.co.uk (http://www.turbosport.co.uk) they will know how to do it on there loads of old skool fords etc etc

grooge
08-06-10, 04:40 PM
not all dohc were efi, most were but mine is defo carb. I thought the mounts might be the same. I need an exhaust anyway so thats ok. should i take the loom from the cortina or use the sierra one? cheers

mowgli
08-06-10, 05:29 PM
throw it away & get a zetec in it..... using the 1.8 mounts

Lee
08-06-10, 06:35 PM
XE it. Relatively simple, most of the stuff such as mounts and bellhousing adaptor should be off the shelf as a load of rally boys run them in Mk1/2 eccys

mk1nova_rich
08-06-10, 07:15 PM
as mowgli says, throw a 1.8 or 2.0 Zetec in there.

harry-nova
08-06-10, 09:59 PM
zetec on twin fortys its so easy to wire up coilpack

grooge
09-06-10, 01:22 AM
I'm not wanting to spend money on the car that i could spend on the nova so the cheaper the better. it'll be my car for the winter and be used for towing mine and mates crossers and some sideways action. I'll probably get rid of it next summer.
I like the pinto idea as its carb and came in lots of sierras. i've not done any wiring before so want to avoid converting to injection. it maybe something to think about in the future though should I want more power.

Sloth
09-06-10, 09:03 AM
small block ford ala xr8 (google it...)

Royston
09-06-10, 10:07 AM
I had a carbed twin cam sierra, was a good work horse. Chain drive no cam belt!!

Wasn't bad on fuel could do 40mpg on a run!

Shame it's in bits does it need much?

grooge
09-06-10, 06:43 PM
royston, its not worth rebuilding, heads off and fully bare iirc, sumps off, crank is out, in fact everything is in peices from what I remember. **** knows why the previous owner stripped it, it was fine when he got it (october) having just been mot'd in september but he started taking everything apart. I got it a few months ago and have rewired the ignition, radio and leccy windows, done some interior trim, the lights and front grill and the propshaft. he was going to put it on axle stands and start removing the suspension next :eek:

Royston
10-06-10, 08:23 AM
That is a great shame ... plonker!!

I would personally look for a twin cam engine (prob EFi more available) and fit it with the carb setup.

another engine alternative would be a Rover V8! seems another regular conversion