PDA

View Full Version : Carbs for a 16v??

gtachorley
06-06-10, 12:52 PM
Hi,

I was have an x18xe1 to go in my Nova to replace a x16xe thats given up the ghost, I was going to fit Tb's but pricing up Jenveys and decent management I worked out I could get a LET for what it would cost so I decided to go for Carbs and MegaJolt instead.

My question is what is going to suit the X18xe1 best, Twin 40 Webbers or Dellorto (whats the difference??) or bike carbs (GSX1400 or similar) and also with webbers whats meant by DCOE and the other codes??

Cheers for any help
Rory

mk1nova_rich
06-06-10, 12:59 PM
45s would probably be better for the 1800 and to be honest i think the manifolds available will only suit the 45s. The manifolds aren't cheap either!!

Bike TBs are possibly worth looking into such as GSXR750 items and then run an aftermarket ECU

comptoncj
06-06-10, 01:20 PM
Road use i would suggest twin 40s for more torque, 45s would have less low down grunt but would have better results on the track.

gtachorley
06-06-10, 01:22 PM
I was told 45s were too big and 40s were right so thats another issue lol, my mate is a fabricator and says he should be able to make a manifold so that should save a few pennies, if I get Bike Tb's I still have to pay 300 quid for decent management, so I fancied bike carbs

mk1nova_rich
06-06-10, 01:26 PM
well you can run carbs if you want, i was just suggesting bike TBs as a cheaper alternative to say Jenveys but to retain a bit more reliability and allow you to tune them better. Your biggest obstacle will be making the runners for the manifold as the ports are oval shaped

General Baxter
06-06-10, 01:36 PM
it dont matter, your going to need managment, what ever you do, simples lol

blue_peg_16v
06-06-10, 01:54 PM
with the baby xe on carbs you will still need management theres no dizzy to fit the engine so you may as well go for throttlebodies tbf, i have a mate who runs 45s on a 1.6 16v but thats due to class rules for rallying he recons throttlebodies would of cost around the same, have you got an inlet box like a manzel thats realy the only budget inlet mod available

gtachorley
06-06-10, 02:37 PM
Yeah I know I will need management but MegaJolts is 130 quid where as MegaSquirt or equilvient is alot more will just keep an eye out and see what comes up on the bay!! I do have a Manzel style inlet for the 1.6 but wont fit a1.8 so need to sell it to help fund the new engine.