PDA

View Full Version : swirl pots

jackhines15
06-06-10, 11:31 AM
im lookingto buy a swirl pot for when i do my 20ltr convertion to stop fuel starvation. i have been looking around at different ones and have become slightly cofused!! why do all the ones i have looked at have 3 - 5 inlets/outlets?

in my mind there should just be one inlet and one outlet.

can anyone shed some light on this?

mk1nova_rich
06-06-10, 01:03 PM
you need at least one outlet and one inlet and then a breather outlet. Without a breather outlet a swirl pot is useless

Mieran
06-06-10, 03:33 PM
http://www.freewebs.com/xworksrs/swirl%20pot%20diagram.JPG

mowgli
06-06-10, 05:51 PM
just buy an injection tank.. its already got one in it

stt
06-06-10, 06:24 PM
depending on what you are using the car for, i woudl of thought for normal use the standard in tank one will suffice, if not you'll need something like
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/4146/p1030819t.jpg

that picture above is great to show how it plumbs in

mowgli
06-06-10, 06:27 PM
just buy an injection tank.. its already got one in it

why bugger about when the std injection one works?????????

stt
06-06-10, 10:42 PM
why bugger about when the std injection one works?????????

because it only works to a point!
it all depends on the spec and intended use of the car!

Mieran
06-06-10, 10:43 PM
you can't get gsi/gte tanks new anymore iirc?

Lee
06-06-10, 11:08 PM
You wont need one on a road car.

The injection tank doesnt have a 'Swirl pot' as such, it just has a dish shaped baffle aroung the pickup, but even that is not enough for high G sustained cornering that you will encounter on a track if running a high pressure fuel system.

You want a swirl pot with a minimum of 3 outlets. one for the feed FROM the tank via a low pressure facet pump, one from the feed to a secondary high pressure pump which feeds the rail, and another for the return. (on a 3 inlet, the return line is 't'd off, one to the swirl pot, and one back to the tank). On a 4 outlet pot, one connects to the pressure regulator return, and the other connects to the tank return.

A swirl pot does NOT have a breather, if it had one it would properly pong of fuel constantly and be a serious fire risk!