PDA

View Full Version : Last time a do that

swedge
04-06-10, 10:29 PM
A thought a would lift the carpet from my nova today to see what the floor was like since I knew it's had a couple patches

Passenger side was fine but the drivers side has a lovely hole right above the chassis leg it's quite big too, I have a welder so should be fine but it's right above the chassis leg so dunno how to fix it properly

do I just weld a plate in and leave it or try to weld the chassis leg back on to the new plate

I'll get pics tommorow

Lee
04-06-10, 10:32 PM
You'll have to weld the chassis leg to the plate, or it will just flex and more of the floor will come away.

swedge
04-06-10, 10:38 PM
Ok if I can't get the chassis leg to mate to the new plate I'll put another strip in along the top of the chassis leg then to the new plate

Jon_nova1
04-06-10, 10:57 PM
put the carpet back down and pretend you didn't notice it?

mk1nova_rich
04-06-10, 11:50 PM
i had exactly the same problem on my passenger side floorpan. A section along the chassis rail had rotted away about 6 inches long. I cut a 6"x2" section out and cleaned up the surrounding area. Rust prohibitor was applied inside the chassis rail before a thin strip was welded along the top of the chassis rail where it joins the floorpan before the larger plate was welded on top. The plate was drilled and pool welded along the chassis rail. Then was all sanded back and primed and painted. Hope this makes sense

swedge
05-06-10, 12:19 AM
i had exactly the same problem on my passenger side floorpan. A section along the chassis rail had rotted away about 6 inches long. I cut a 6"x2" section out and cleaned up the surrounding area. Rust prohibitor was applied inside the chassis rail before a thin strip was welded along the top of the chassis rail where it joins the floorpan before the larger plate was welded on top. The plate was drilled and pool welded along the chassis rail. Then was all sanded back and primed and painted. Hope this makes sense

that sounds a good idea I think I'll do that

swedge
05-06-10, 12:22 AM
Was the thin strip the full width of the chassis rail?

mk1nova_rich
05-06-10, 12:25 AM
no mate, the rotten patch was offset so only one side of the chassis rail needed welding to

Tommy_nova
05-06-10, 12:27 AM
same happend to me dude uber hole lol

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt188/Tommy_Nova/Mynovs066.jpg

swedge
05-06-10, 12:32 AM
no mate, the rotten patch was offset so only one side of the chassis rail needed welding to

That's what mines is too just the left side (passenger) a can't see that being easy to weld too lol

mk1nova_rich
05-06-10, 12:33 AM
i take it you do mean the main chassis rail which runs under the middle of the floorpan??

swedge
05-06-10, 12:38 AM
Yeah 1 each side

mk1nova_rich
05-06-10, 12:41 AM
yep so if you follow what i said earlier and cut the rotten area out you will be able to see what needs doing. the hardest bit is removing the floorpan from the chassis rail. A spot weld drill is probably the best way but i managed it pikey style with cutting disc and grinder lol

swedge
05-06-10, 12:45 AM
Cheers for the info it'll be next week I do it so I'll let you know how I get on what thickness metal did you use?

mk1nova_rich
05-06-10, 12:47 AM
i didnt do the welding, bloke down road does it for me but i think he uses sumat like 1.6mm-2mm

swedge
05-06-10, 12:50 AM
Cheers mate rep'd ya too

mk1nova_rich
05-06-10, 12:51 AM
no probs mate :)

swedge
05-06-10, 01:09 AM
Well a suppose a better get back to work serving these piss heads lol