PDA

View Full Version : nova gte temp

dathers
03-05-03, 12:47 AM
My nova gte E16SE temp gauge sits just at the top of the blue bit in normal driving,it only ever goes over this when sat in traffic,but it soon goes back to the top of blue when you drive off.The heater never feels as burning hot as my old gte did.
Could this be my thermostat stuck open or something else?
Ive recently changed the dials and the temp sits in the same spot.
Dave

ade
03-05-03, 09:41 AM
alright m8,

more than likely - my sensor is opposite - sits up at the 3/4 level - gets scarey when sat in traffic!

You could try changing the temp sensor/thermostat - only a few quid and (apparantly) easy to do. Cost me ?10 for both parts + ?1.99 for replacement coolant (to be diluted obviously).

You could also check the heater connector on the dash - sometimes the cables stretch/slacken off so although the dial is turned to max its prob only 3/4 or 1/2 way round.

Also check all the hoses are connected properly to the vents. I know on my mk2 both drivers and passenger side vents were not properly clipped into the feed hoses so only a small amount of air came out.

Last thing would be the heater matrix...

Ade

beckgte
03-05-03, 12:02 PM
ive got a gte and my temp is the same as yours mate only untill i get stuck in traffic does it go further than the blue my heater is good though

Adam Moran
03-05-03, 12:20 PM
I've just had a GSI lump put in and mine does the same. I've asked questions about this too and most people say that its set up fine.

So i wouldnt worry about it.

Ad

Jules
03-05-03, 12:53 PM
My GSi sits at just above blue in normal driving conditions, goes up to half when stuck in traffic (Then the fan cuts in) but when I get on the open road again it goes back to top of blue.
Sounds normal to me.

locky
03-05-03, 03:10 PM
My GTE lump goes onto 3 blocks on the digidash in normal driving, but takes a while 2 get hot enuff 4 the fan 2 come in!

Wadya reckon bout that!so i think thats just under 1/2 way! i thin k thats correct!

dathers
03-05-03, 07:57 PM
I sorted the thermostat today and all is well again.
Temp now sits at quarter at normal driving and goes up to half in traffic which is when the fan comes on.
The thermostat was stuck fully open so i put a new one in.
Best ?6.99 ive spent in a long while.
Dave

mikeoxford
04-05-03, 11:05 PM
My GTE lump goes onto 3 blocks on the digidash in normal driving, but takes a while 2 get hot enuff 4 the fan 2 come in!

Wadya reckon bout that!so i think thats just under 1/2 way! i thin k thats correct!
3 blocks on the digidash should be when the fan kicks in

locky
04-05-03, 11:08 PM
Yep it does when stood in traffic!
on a long run, it still goes up 2 3 bars, and thats with plenty of air gettin 2 the rad!
I havnt put a gte rad on as yet, so that mite be the prob!also, theres no heatshield on the zorst manifold! poss another prob!!!!!

mikeoxford
04-05-03, 11:10 PM
Yep it does when stood in traffic!
on a long run, it still goes up 2 3 bars, and thats with plenty of air gettin 2 the rad!
I havnt put a gte rad on as yet, so that mite be the prob!also, theres no heatshield on the zorst manifold! poss another prob!!!!!

hmmm dunoo

id say your tehrmostat was OK - but maybe on way out........

i have a 4-1 mainfold, so no heat shield, a 1.6 engine, and also a 1.4 rad & fan, and that stays at norm in the middle, and if it hits 3 blocks, as soon as it does, fan kicks in, just watch it locky - sounds fine though

just make sure the fan does kick in u dont wanna be ceasing that new engine of yours!

techie
05-05-03, 09:43 AM
Mine barely gets out of the blue when rattling along, but comes up when its stationary. I think my thermostat is stuck. But as its a little bit of an arse to change i.e in the side of the head behind the cambelt im going to leave it until the new engines built.

The only disadvantage of running a cold engine is that you will be using more fuel as the temp sensor for the ecu will say the engines cold and keep your fuel enrichment on for cold start. But having said that even with my temp gauge low the heater is still warm.

The Vauxhall temp gauges are far from acurate anyhow.

locky
05-05-03, 10:18 AM
Well i still got the 1.2 rad n fan, i think all fans r the same! and the dorst is a 4-2-1, it does look close 2 the rad, so maybe the rad needs uprating!!!!!

mikeoxford
05-05-03, 10:07 PM
Well i still got the 1.2 rad n fan, i think all fans r the same! and the dorst is a 4-2-1, it does look close 2 the rad, so maybe the rad needs uprating!!!!!

:lol: trust me mate

try the stat first!

stanman24
16-05-03, 10:00 PM
aye

when cruising at 65 - 70 it would rarely leave the bluewhen i hammered it the temp gauge needle would irratically go loser to the cold point of the gauge

i fitted a digi dash to my mrk1 and the fan only kicks in when it hits 3 bars

the car rarely overheats but my head gasket did go as a resuly nice b ig buldges in radiator hoses :)

jatinder
17-05-03, 09:00 AM
before i had my thermostat changed, my needle would sit just on the blue and would only rise when sitting in traffic as you described, after it was changed, it sat round about the 1/4 mark maybe a bit more. i would advise you to get it changed as an engine which is always cold if not running correctly and will be useing more fuel and causing more wear. It a pig of a job as the cambelt has to come off you may as well replace this as well as a tensioner, and change you water pump gasket as well other wise it will be leaking.

stanman24
17-05-03, 11:45 AM
I changed the thermostat be4 the head gasket:P