PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Canistor

Pistol Pete
04-06-10, 09:34 AM
Do i need to still use this on my XE conversion? If not what do i do with the spare pipe coming off the tank?

phazer
04-06-10, 09:36 AM
I've posted before about this so you might want to look for a fuller answer but essentially run it up the filler neck and loop it over at the top and back down a couple of inches. Cable tie to filler neck.

Pistol Pete
04-06-10, 09:46 AM
Sod it. CBA to search lol. I'll do that! Cheers.

AlexW
04-06-10, 01:58 PM
Mine is still in the front arch from when i removed the carbon canister, should i change this?

Sloth
04-06-10, 02:06 PM
nah just whang a 10mm bolt in the pipe.

phazer
04-06-10, 03:25 PM
Err no, blocking the vent will cause the tank to vacuum which is neither good for the pump, engine or the tank.

phazer
04-06-10, 03:33 PM
Mine is still in the front arch from when i removed the carbon canister, should i change this?

Doesn't make much difference to be honest. The reason for looping up and over is all to do with safety should the car turn over, it's supposed to prevent fuel leaking from the breather. On a more practical, day to day level it is possible that some fuel will weep from the open end, again making it go up and over will prevent this. Aside from this it's not really a great idea to have lots of fuel vapour escaping near a hot engine/exhaust not to mention the effect on the people in the car should it come in through the heater matrix.

It's supposed to be an MOT failure (never checked this though) to have open breathers espcially if oil/petrol etc can escape though I've never had a problem with both the oil breather and the tank vent when it was at the front of the car.