PDA

View Full Version : petrol smell in expansion bottle????

Alex J
03-06-10, 07:04 PM
ok , as above, i have the smell of fuel in the bottle, yet, its running fine, the coolent is still pink, and it dosnt use any water, boil over, or no mixing of water or oil etc, even if i drive it hard it dosnt miss a beat, its a c20xe engine, was thinking headgasket:confused: ???, any ideas? beats me! is it a cause for concern:tard:

Adam
03-06-10, 07:04 PM
Be concered if you start getting a lot of pressure in the hoses/tank,and coolant starts disappearing

Alex J
03-06-10, 07:13 PM
there is a bit of pressure in the system, but nothing above the normal, i reckon its going to blow before pvlol

Paul
06-06-10, 10:14 AM
Headgasket gone.

discoinferno
06-06-10, 10:20 AM
there is a bit of pressure in the system, but nothing above the normal, i reckon its going to blow before pvlol

there will always be pressure in the system, hence why when the car is warm the manufacturers tell you not to open the cap as it will release the hot gas/coolant!!!

ion the other had too much pressure and it'll just split a hose, try a compression tester??????

blue_peg_16v
06-06-10, 10:59 AM
could be the start of the headgasket going

mowgli
06-06-10, 11:16 AM
there will always be pressure in the system, hence why when the car is warm the manufacturers tell you not to open the cap as it will release the hot gas/coolant!!!

ion the other had too much pressure and it'll just split a hose, try a compression tester??????

not completely true..... but close..

if you can get water to heat up under pressure, it raises the boiling point above 100deg. this helps no end, when you want to run your engine at 92 deg. so the water is above boiling point, and if you open it, you let the pressure out, followed by a load of water that is suddenly boiling.

it won't split a hose unless the hose is in a shocking state, it might try to blow a jubilee clip off first, but usually, it simply lets the water blow back thru the leaking gasket & boil away in the engine, then disappearing up the exhaust

Steve0011
06-06-10, 11:38 AM
try a local garage and ask them to do a coolant sniff test, it will show if you have combustion gases in the coolant....this normally means h/g gone :( had same on my scoob the other month

not too bad a job to change gasket on the vauxhall :) its engine out on a scoob :(

mowgli
06-06-10, 11:44 AM
and for what it costs to get it diagnosed, you can do a head gasket!!!!

blue_peg_16v
06-06-10, 01:57 PM
or buy the tool

Paul
06-06-10, 02:18 PM
Nah i was following the thread up for others incase they have the same problem (search function), the headgasket had gone, we took the head off yesterday.