PDA

View Full Version : faster 1.2? how?

customnova
02-05-03, 05:37 PM
ive got a 1.2 nova and want it faster without gettin a new engine. how? and mods i can do to get the bhp up? cheaper the better but happy to read any others, cheers lads

Stuart
02-05-03, 06:01 PM
there is an article about it in one of the stickys at the top of the forum.

im currtently modifying a 1.2 head (with the intention of fitting it to my 1.2) with other bits and pieces.

its being done on a budget so its not gonna cost too much. its all being documented etc and there will be an article about it later on (few months)

paul123
02-05-03, 07:37 PM
first off u will need to find an SRi exhaust manifold (or a 1993 model GSi one if u can find it - they are the same) - it must have a hole for the lambda probe and the only car this will deffo be on is the SRi

you then wanna get yourself an SRi downpipe (?30 new from your local zorst place)

and a GTE center section (again your local zorst place - dunno how mcuh tho)

u can use your existing back box if u want, if u want a performance back box u'll need it custom made cos of your boot

this alone should see a hefty performance gain maybe 10bhp or so with a shed load more torque too

then next step is to add a camshaft from either an 1.4 SR, SRi, GTE or GSi which will round off the cheap mods

if u do that lot u should be looking at 60-65 bhp and much better response and feel - just MAKE sure the lamdba probe stays connected - you WILL fuck the engine if u remove it completely - which is why i stress the SRi manifold and not the more common GTE or SR

Nova-Boy
02-05-03, 09:07 PM
Follow the sticky guide at the top.

All exept use a 1.4 cam we have since found that this has a higher lift than the GTE one.

Use your 1.2 head cos it has good flow and get it cleaned out and skimmed.

As for exhaust? why are you telling him to use an SRI or GSI one Paul123 ? I thought the GTE one or SR was best for a carbed motor.
Are you running a carb modle or injection?

Get the full exhaust system off a GTE or SR like it says in the guide.

If you are running an injection system then change it to a mulit point or put a carb on. This will unleash the fact that an injection 1.2 has 10bhp less than the carbed model.

Cheapest way is to find a scraped car/cars and use all the bits off them, this way you get the good cam, decent exhaust twin choke and wont cost you as much as buying new.

Good luck! :wink: