PDA

View Full Version : I need a bit of tempting..

jdm_
02-06-10, 03:36 PM
I cant decide between a MK3 (Mk2f) Polo 1.0l or 1.3 (non GT)
or a Nova (1.0l to a 1.2 or 1.5 td) ...

I'm getting a few points on my license so need something cheaper to run/use as a project, always liked Novas but only ever been in one which was a C20XE so don't know what i'd be expecting from a smaller engined Nova. I want a car to keep for a good couple of years as a project and spend a lot on it to make it my own and show worthy, just waiting for a nice well kept low mileage shell/nova to pop up.

The only thing thats making me steer more towards Novas atm are that there are different models/specs and more to do with them (SR SRI GTE GSI Rep/Parts) unlike the Polo which are a bit limited to mods unless you go euro ! Only problem for me is that i'm a VW / Ford man, love MK2 Golfs, 'Rados, XR2is, RS Turbos etc so a Vauxhall will be a change for me. (Except owning a Mk3 Astra for about a week ! )

Can anyone give me more reasons to get a Nova ? preferably from someone who has owned/driven a mk3 Polo aswell and can give reviews on each and help tempt me so i stop messing around, hurry up and buy one ! :thumb: All help appreciated.

stevie-p
02-06-10, 03:39 PM
if you want one get one if you dont .... then dont!

they are realiable (people will argue) nippy lots of potential etc but i wouldent say theres a massive market for them up to the polo and there are many ways of modifying them not just euro find your own routes some things will work and some wont

craig green
02-06-10, 03:39 PM
Totally different cars tbh. One is half refined & well built, the other is a shonky old hatch that has some appeal on this forum. lol

The smaller VW engines are just as lame & dated as the old 8v Vauxhall units, seeing as the Nova will no doubt weigh much less you will probably prefer the chuckability of the Nova.

[edit], looking at your username, perhaps you should consider a Nissan Micra? :p

jdm_
02-06-10, 03:59 PM
Always used jdm_ on forums, considered a Starlet but not after a Micra, lol.

Its not as easy as for me atm as "if you want one get one. if you don't then dont" unfortunately. I want/need a car that is going to last, i want an old car because thats what i'm into and its what i'm about. And with a budget for a car, insurance and budget of what i can spend monthly on mods and detailing i need to know whether a Nova is worthwhile/reliable as i'm in College training to be a mechanic so not earning enough to change cars as i feel like it anymore. Without ever owning a Nova, or a Vauxhall for long enough to judge reliability i need other peoples views. My knowledge of cars is pretty good but you cant look at a car and decide whether its reliable or not without owning and using it for a while.

True that there is a lot more to do with a polo than euro it but thats what happens with all the vee-dubs atm, i guess you shouldnt follow a trend but i just know it'd end up going that way.

Can anyone else give me reviews against each cars ?

Lee
02-06-10, 04:03 PM
What Polo are we talking here? I personally wouldnt go near a MK2, they handle discracefully, rot worse than Nova's, and just look ugly as sin. A MK3, on the other hand, I would definately consider.

Modification wise, the Nova will be cheapest to play with for some good results, but finding a clean one to start with wont be anywhere near as easy as finding a clean MK3 Polo.

Have you done some insurance quotes? Dubs do tend to punch a few insurance brackets above their weight, that may be the ultimate factor in your choice.

And Novas are very very reliable...... until you start to fiddle with them.

Jack
02-06-10, 04:05 PM
My ex had a 1.0 Mk2 pre-facelift polo. Bodywork wise it was strong (although it was the shonky crap styling and interior - IMO the Mk2F was MUCH better), little rust for the age. Avoid that engine like the plague though, the 1.0 carb was utter dog turd; ran like a bag of nails and even on the few occasions we did get it running good, it had shoite economy because you had to mash the pedal down to get it to move. Even then it was horrendously slow. I believe the non-GT 1.3's were single point injection, and still pretty slow (55bhp?) but at least they have the reliability and economy of fuel injection.

If it were me, I'd probably err towards the Nova as thats what I know; but the 1.3i Mk2F polo would otherwise be a good choice if you find a decent one and you're not bothered about performance.

Having said that, IF you can find a good 1.5TD Nova, snap it up. Should be a Mk2 (pretty sure all durbos were Mk2, the Mk1 was N/A...), so the styling is on a par with the Mk2F Polo. The performance and economy will hammer most Novas and Polos, insurance will probably be cheaper too. Only drawback is they're not exactly common, even less so to find one in good nick.

[edit] As for mods, can't speak much for the polo scene, but for Novas there's a raft of parts available. Even with a few simple (cheap) parts from Astras, Cavs, etc you'll be looking at big improvements in the looks

jdm_
02-06-10, 04:10 PM
The MK3 is what i'm considering. Also known as a mk2f but think that might just be for the earlier versions. Insurance on both as 1 litres are about the same, the difference is in what covers included in the insurance over the cost, which i'm not too fussed about.

Planned to keep engine standard until everything else is how i want it so should stay reliable ?

Thought about cost of modifications and thats another thing thats making me want a Nova that bit more. If the shells nice all i think a Nova needs to look tidy is cav slabs, springs and a back box :) which are in budget, unlike banded steelies for a vw.

It's the reliability i'm looking for the most. Which is why i like VW's. but 4 of my previous cars have been french so surely anythings better ?

Jack
02-06-10, 04:12 PM
One of these?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9f/VW_Polo_mkIIf.jpg/250px-VW_Polo_mkIIf.jpg

As said, reliability wise, avoid the 1.0 carb!

jdm_
02-06-10, 04:15 PM
Cheers Jack. Performance isn't a big issue straight away but would prefer something that isn't gutless ! but with a few points and at only 19 fast and cheap aren't going to mix for me yet. I paid £3800 for an XR2i 1.6 8v with no points. Third Party Fire and Theft. Nova 1.0litre is £1700 fully comp without points so insurance for my age group atm is a lot.

jdm_
02-06-10, 04:15 PM
Thats the breadvan version, but almost the same.

mowgli
02-06-10, 04:18 PM
just find the one with the best bodywork you can..... oily bits are cheap, painted bits aren't. simple as that......

go & look at some, and drive them both. then buy the one you prefer.

nobody on here is trying to make out that the nova is the bestest car in the world evar, and most of us won't call polo's too many names

Jack
02-06-10, 04:18 PM
I'd seriously consider the Nova TD then - group 6 insurance, so not all that much (possibly even less than a 1.0 in terms of cost, if you count claim rate), yet performance close to a 1.6 GTE/GSi whilst still returning ~50mpg. As said, the only drawback is finding a good one.

Mike
02-06-10, 04:27 PM
I'd seriously consider the Nova TD then - group 6 insurance, so not all that much (possibly even less than a 1.0 in terms of cost, if you count claim rate), yet performance close to a 1.6 GTE/GSi whilst still returning ~50mpg. As said, the only drawback is finding a good one.

What he says! The 1.5's are bloody nippy an all! Just watch out for rotted/snapped rear axles lol lol

Stuart
02-06-10, 04:28 PM
I'd look at 1.2 novas tbh, the 1.0's were/are DIRE!!!
I ran a completely std 1.2 carbed MK2 nova for 5 years and it never let me down (well I lie it killed a sparkplug after me not servicing it for 2 years lol).

Always started in the cold/wet, always ran well enough to cruise up and down the M4 a lot. Handled well enough for an old car on old dampers and oem springs.

jdm_
02-06-10, 04:38 PM
Cheers. Seen a few 1.5 tds but none are standard and don't want anything thats been messed with too much ! Wouldnt mind something with a conversion, would sorta throw the reliability idea out the window though ? My mate had a 1.2 handled well and was nippy. 1.0 litre is just cheap insurance by the sounds of it, but not a lot else to it.

Rysee
02-06-10, 04:43 PM
Some good advice in this thread but to own old cars you have to love the look of them too

this is my bit of visual advice

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133089&highlight=show

mowgli
02-06-10, 04:44 PM
the 1.0 is a good donor vehicle.
the 1.2 is a good daily driver.... just don't bother spending big money trying to tune a 1.2, save up for a bigger engine for when your insurance allows it

Rysee
02-06-10, 04:49 PM
the 1.0 is a good donor vehicle.
the 1.2 is a good daily driver.... just don't bother spending big money trying to tune a 1.2, save up for a bigger engine for when your insurance allows it

The 1.0 isn't even that, just cause of the extra effort and money on conversions. And the fuel starvation is nuts when running the 1.0.

I never loved my old 1.2spi but it was a cracking motor, doing 8000miles or something in 7 months and all i replaced was the oil(didn't really need it) spark plugs and leads again which it didn't need and the rear wheel bearings

It never broke down

jdm_
02-06-10, 04:50 PM
Love the look of both ! want a car with a good club/forum behind it too, i'm on clubpolo but not a big fan of it, going to use this forum more and see what i think. looks a lot better though.

its a tough decision but think with some of this advice i know what i'm after now. Just got to hope the right Nova comes along.

jdm_
02-06-10, 04:52 PM
The 1.0 isn't even that, just cause of the extra effort and money on conversions. And the fuel starvation is nuts when running the 1.0.

I never loved my old 1.2spi but it was a cracking motor, doing 8000miles or something in 7 months and all i replaced was the oil(didn't really need it) spark plugs and leads again which it didn't need and the rear wheel bearings

It never broke down

Sounds like you would recommend a Nova quite highly then ?

Plug
02-06-10, 04:58 PM
hey people the 1.0L arnt as bad as your making out. yea ive blown 3 up but still good little motors IMO lol is my 1st car after not driving for 2 years thou lol

jdm_
02-06-10, 05:05 PM
lol You blown 3 up from abuse or just bad engines, or both ?
Should i try to avoid the carbed engines and get an injected one ? or are they still quite simular..
Set on a Nova now.
I want a c20xe at some point so might aswell make my start with one now.

Rysee
02-06-10, 05:14 PM
I wont lie to you at times in Nova ownership you will hate them and look at finance on something new and comfy... but on the whole you will love Nova ownership

jdm_
02-06-10, 05:18 PM
My newest car was an N reg so i'm used to a rough uncomfy ride and having a bad back. my old Fiesta XR2i was probably the comfiest car i've owned, or my 306 but that had leathers. Going to price up my Nova when im back from the pub ! How do you find the forum ? looks like theres always a lot of people online and plenty to talk about, clubpolo bores me sometimes !

Lee
02-06-10, 07:56 PM
lol You blown 3 up from abuse or just bad engines, or both ?
Should i try to avoid the carbed engines and get an injected one ? or are they still quite simular..
Set on a Nova now.
I want a c20xe at some point so might aswell make my start with one now.

I think he means 1.0's lol

Carb engines are fine so long as you look after them. The auto choke variants can cause issues so dont assume thats a plus point.

Injection wise you'll be looking at 1.2 single point injection engines. They do have plusses, slightly more economical and a tad smoother to drive, but IMO they feel as flat as a witches tit, for some reason a carbed 1200 is far more fun to drive. I doubt theres much performance difference, its just the way it feels.

And if you're sticking around, ill jump in straight away and say go for a MK2, as they dont have dashboards that look like they were carved from satans anus, and the bumpers arn't pointy meaning you dont have to fold your reg plate in half to get it to fit, and you wont go all gay when you start driving it (there is no evidence to support this last claim, but why take the risk?) lol

Asa-James
02-06-10, 08:53 PM
raddo-tom on here was a big time dub fan (has bought and sold 2 in the last week lol) and his daily was a g60 corrado. until he borrowed my nova 1.2 for a few months. he's now agreed to buy one of the lads nova's off here later in the year, and is selling up his stock of dubs.

take a drive in a bog standard nova, throw it about, become utterly dissapointed...

then wonder why you want one so badly afterwards. its an evil bug, but well worth it

And if you're sticking around, ill jump in straight away and say go for a MK2, as they dont have dashboards that look like they were carved from satans anus, and the bumpers arn't pointy meaning you dont have to fold your reg plate in half to get it to fit, and you wont go all gay when you start driving it (there is no evidence to support this last claim, but why take the risk?) lol

mk1 dash's are epic, the bumpers are pointy for "airo die namiks" and as for the last point, well i've had three mk1's...

Lee
02-06-10, 09:05 PM
as for the last point, well i've had three mk1's...

Thats a good point, I take it back.... there IS evidence to support that claim lol

pikey1986
02-06-10, 09:11 PM
mk 1's rock..... that's all I have to say on the subject

Jack
02-06-10, 09:14 PM
hey people the 1.0L arnt as bad as your making out.
This is true, Joe's 1.0 is faster than my 3.0! lol

as they dont have dashboards that result in testicle removal
Fixed

jdm_
02-06-10, 09:38 PM
Like the look of both from the exterior, havnt seen dash or interior properly on a mk1 though. I'l find one and have a look.

John
02-06-10, 09:40 PM
I currently have a polo as a daily, it's ****, novas however.........

jdm_
02-06-10, 09:40 PM
Prefer MK2 interior but you can always change a dash.. MK1 differ much from the MK2 ? sorry i dont know a lot about Novas, still reading up and learning lol il get there.

jdm_
02-06-10, 09:41 PM
I currently have a polo as a daily, it's ****, novas however.........

MK3 ?
My mate has one, head gasket went almost straight away and today his engine dropped 3 inches cause of the mount and has snapped a gear linkage ! Made me decide what i need to buy..:thumb:

John
02-06-10, 09:48 PM
MK3 ?
My mate has one, head gasket went almost straight away and today his engine dropped 3 inches cause of the mount and has snapped a gear linkage ! Made me decide what i need to buy..:thumb:

Pass lol It's whatever mark p reg is on. It reliable as fook, but also as dull as dishwater.

Asa-James
02-06-10, 09:49 PM
mk 4 , Polo 6n

jdm_
02-06-10, 09:50 PM
Pass lol It's whatever mark p reg is on. It reliable as fook, but also as dull as dishwater.

P reg is a mk4. Had one before, couldnt fault it just boring like you said :(

John
02-06-10, 09:50 PM
mk 4 , Polo 6n

ta, i even work for vw, can tell how interested i am Lol.

Mike
02-06-10, 09:51 PM
Fixed

Didnt Mk1 dashboards give you actual cancer :confused: lol

PS. White Mk2 = Win

Jack
02-06-10, 09:51 PM
Yep

Mike
02-06-10, 09:53 PM
Yep

Mk2's FTW then :cool:

jdm_
02-06-10, 09:58 PM
I like MK1 Headlights.. prefer the look of mk2s overall though

Lee
03-06-10, 12:03 AM
Prefer MK2 interior but you can always change a dash.. MK1 differ much from the MK2 ? sorry i dont know a lot about Novas, still reading up and learning lol il get there.

There is a dash change guide in the Articles section

jdm_
03-06-10, 12:05 AM

Cheers will take a look at that. Might of fount a shell, but it isnt rolling. Pricing up the parts to get it rolling and then going to decide whats best :)

Rysee
03-06-10, 12:40 AM

From a grey dash to a brown one?

Stuart
03-06-10, 08:46 AM
go for a MK2, and you wont go all gay when you start driving it (there is no evidence to support this last claim, but why take the risk?) lol

errrr I had a MK2 lol

Sloth
03-06-10, 09:15 AM
PS. White Mk2 = Win

incorrect, mustard yellow mk2's ftw :d

John
03-06-10, 02:24 PM
From a grey dash to a brown one? flol!