PDA

View Full Version : LET Rebuild

Andy
01-06-10, 06:37 PM
Over the winter im going to doing a full rebuild/conversion from XE-LET
The XE i have in my Nova at the minute has a LET block with XE everything else.
I want to convert this into a LET but at the same time will be rebuilding the engine for piece of mind while its in bits.
I sort of know what i will need ie LET loom and ECU and LET pistons and inlet cam etc.
But was wondering what else,ie piston sizes and makes vary on ebay....so help with this would be good also.
I dont want to hear "you'd be better off buying one complete"-This way is better for me in both cost spread out from now gathering parts etc and 2 i know when its built it will be done right and will not have to come apart when it goes bang within 5 mins of installation.
Any help/advice is always appreciated

krobinson
01-06-10, 06:56 PM
If you want to do it right, the measure your bores first. If they are standard then buy +.5mm pistons and have the block rebored/honed. Standard size is 86mm IIRC.

Replace all the bearings, oil and water pumps also.

Make sure and source a good condition loom, and sensors, hopefully this will prevent any headaches on the first turn of the key.

:)

Andy
01-06-10, 06:59 PM
If you want to do it right, the measure your bores first. If they are standard then buy +.5mm pistons and have the block rebored/honed. Standard size is 86mm IIRC.

Replace all the bearings, oil and water pumps also.

Make sure and source a good condition loom, and sensors, hopefully this will prevent any headaches on the first turn of the key.

:)
Thanks Keith that was the plan to measure and go next size up etc
Which of the XE sensors will i be able to retain?

Graeme
01-06-10, 07:03 PM
Knock sensor, icv, gas recirc valve, lambda?, can think of anymore

Lee H
01-06-10, 08:03 PM
Coolant temp sensor, crank sensor, dizzy and coil are all the same as well. (unless your XE is dispack?)

Andy
01-06-10, 08:04 PM
Its a dizzy so thats good i suppose

Sloth
01-06-10, 08:14 PM
andy, if it was me id run it on aftermarket management, rather than stock stuff. the let looms are at least 15 years old, as is the ecu, and they cost alot, ecu tech has moved on, i'd be looking for a decent s/h omex or dta or emerald, so if you decide to upgrade stuff, its easier to map the changes.

the exh cam profile is different btw

Andy
01-06-10, 08:23 PM
i always thought it was the inlet cam that was different?

Graeme
01-06-10, 08:24 PM
Both are different

Sloth
01-06-10, 08:25 PM
but fitting the xe inlet gives a decent increase.

Lee H
01-06-10, 08:25 PM
Both cams are different but you can run the XE inlet cam with a vernier and get some good gains.

Andy
01-06-10, 08:30 PM
Thanks everyone-rep to all
What about my throttle body? i know i will need a tophat but will that fit?
Sorry if these seem noob questions!

Graeme
01-06-10, 08:55 PM
You need the later tps, think its four pin? and there is an extra vacuum take off on the right hand rear, can't see why a xe one cant be drilled out to suit

Lee H
01-06-10, 08:59 PM
LET throttle body has the front oil breather blocked off as well as extra vacuum take off.

Andy
01-06-10, 09:05 PM
so is that not what its listed as???
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/C20LET-throttle-body-Nova-Corsa-Astra-Calibra-Cav-Turbo-/270585142829?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f00219e2d

Lee H
01-06-10, 09:18 PM
That looks like a LET one, you can see where the big breather on the front is capped. You can't see the vacuum take off as its on the other side.

philip
02-06-10, 09:02 AM
Whats ur budget, power you want and use? Can spec sumthing up motor wise too. Pm if want

Andy
02-06-10, 11:48 AM
Im after fairly standard power,it will be mostly used on road.budget is just buying whats needed to convert it to standard power.