PDA

View Full Version : water pump

farmertom
01-06-10, 01:57 PM
where can i get a water pump with metal impelers from, i have tried my local motor factors they only have plastic impelers useless ****ers.

mowgli
01-06-10, 02:04 PM
for which engine????

i thought the OE ones were QH, and the last one i bought had a metal impellor,

farmertom
01-06-10, 02:42 PM
13 sb

iv even tried vauxhall themselve's which was a joke, matey on the phone was very rude and very uninterested and he wanted 45 quid just for the pump.

i had a qh item from allparts and that had a plastic impeler

General Baxter
01-06-10, 02:48 PM
does it really matter, its not like its a performance engine!

they have been tested, plastic or metal, they all do the same job

Stuart
01-06-10, 02:55 PM
call autovaux.

mowgli
01-06-10, 02:56 PM
you could press the old one apart & fit new bearings & seals..

GRUNT 16V
01-06-10, 03:06 PM
we used to get people in the shop asking for metal impelers !! (nobs) there is no difference at all!

mowgli
01-06-10, 03:13 PM
we used to get people in the shop asking for metal impelers !! (nobs) there is no difference at all!

apart from the fact that the plastic ones are crap & fail all the time on V.A.G products, and if they pass VW's quality standards & fail, what chance do the rest of us have with chinese pattern ones

farmertom
01-06-10, 03:21 PM
iv worked on cars for long enough to know plastic impelers and pulleys are ****, so dont say there's no differance because thats bull****

mowgli
01-06-10, 03:29 PM
they are absolutely fine for about one day longer than the warranty period....

farmertom
01-06-10, 03:31 PM
given autovaux a call, i shall see what they say when they ring me back.

Stuart
01-06-10, 04:05 PM
apart from the fact that the plastic ones are crap & fail all the time on V.A.G products, and if they pass VW's quality standards & fail, what chance do the rest of us have with chinese pattern ones

note how quality and cost aer inversely proportional..... and who designs cars these days? yes accountants.

I'd imagine metal impellord pumps would suffer just as bad due to crap bearings, and I know I'd sooner have plastic bits in the cooling system than metal bits floating around.

mowgli
01-06-10, 04:18 PM
stu, the metal impellors don't get hot & fall off, like the placky ones do

Stuart
01-06-10, 04:24 PM
My omega had palstic impellor.... it only shattered when the bearing in the pump went and made the whole thing gyrate clattering the sides.

As said, would sooner have little bits of plastic in the system than either jamming bits of metal (in the novas case stripping the belt) or possibly taking out a weakened hose etc.